Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Competition.Major prize now awarded!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 19:55

Who has the most localised ancestors?? Can you say that your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and maybe even your gg-grandparents were all born in the same county? Prize to be announced later..........Happy Hunting - Merry x (who stumbles at the first hurdle...mine come from all over!)

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 21 Apr 2006 19:59

well I was told I had local ancestors.. her mothers side all born and bred for centurys in Sutton........... as told to me by Nan. Her gran on her mothers side comes from Wiltshire, even her uncle ( mums older brothers were born in wiltshire)

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 21 Apr 2006 20:02

I have got family born in Gloucestershire back to 1540 but my father was born in Somerset the wrong side of the river and my mother in Hertfordshire. I was born back in Gloucestershire. I miss by about 2 miles.

Kay B

Kay B Report 21 Apr 2006 20:05

Hi I've traced mine back to early 1800's so far and they were all born and bred in Oldham Lancashire. I don't know how far they go back as i've not researched that far yet but the Ancestor is my 5xG Grandfather born 1805 ish. xxx

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 21 Apr 2006 20:05

Hi I can go back 5 generations on my mothers side to 1781 all born Cheshire. But my fathers are all over the place!!!! 7 different counties Cheryl

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 20:05

I just know the major prize is going to get snaffled by Olde Crone Lancashire, oops, I mean Olde Crone Holden........does anyone think she should be barred for some reason or other, that I can't think of at the mo? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 20:06

And your father, Cheryl????!!!!! Merry

short_rach

short_rach Report 21 Apr 2006 20:07

My Dads family were (as far back as I've got) all born and bred in either Pinxton (Derbyshire) or Selston (Notts), they are only a couple of miles apart despite being different counties. My Dad was born in Notts as was I. Mums lot are all Lowestoft, every last one of em, Mum moved to Notts in her early 20's. DP's Dads side are all Lincs, his Mums are all over the flippin place lol (but mainly Northants and Staffs)

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 21 Apr 2006 20:08

Hi Merry Just updated lost it with Fathers side boo hoo!!!! Cheryl

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Apr 2006 20:10

Lowestoft seems popular. I have 9 generations born there and six more back from there born within 20 miles. Gwynne

Tammy

Tammy Report 21 Apr 2006 20:10

I can do eight generations all from Middlesex including me. Tammy :~)

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 20:13

Yes, But I have 8 generations from Oxfordshire, but that is only on one line!!! There must be someone out there who's parents, grandparents, all great-grandparents come from one area???!! Come on champions...... Merry (haven't told you the prize yet though, have I??)

Kay B

Kay B Report 21 Apr 2006 20:17

Oh by the way my 5xG Grandmother was a lancashire lass too and so were the descending wives, I'm not trying to score points i just did not make myself clear. :-) xxx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Apr 2006 20:18

Hi Merry, My Dad's parents, grand parents, gt grandparents, and gt gt grandparents were all from Lowestoft. The next few generations were from Lowestoft or the surrounding area. Gwynne

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 21 Apr 2006 20:19

I've got 5 generations from Bray in Berkshire - a titchy place the back of beyond

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 20:21

So is the most tricky bit having parents from the same place? Merry

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 21 Apr 2006 20:22

One branch of my tree goes back to the 1600's & they all come from about 10 miles from where we live now - hubby has been here all his life. So 400 years in the same area !!! Penny

Heather

Heather Report 21 Apr 2006 20:28

Well, what prize do I get eh? Got me Bonifaces/Cheals in Sussex from (provable) 1550 - 1871 (when my direct ancestor moved to Bermondsey) Got me Horsteads in Norfolk from 1835 -back to year dot (they even have a village named after them!).

Karen

Karen Report 21 Apr 2006 20:41

i can date my oldham family to 1655, none of them left the village of church in lancashire until the 20th century,the rest of my ancestors are all within 20miles except direct line came from ireland in 1840,does that count, karen

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 20:41

A couple of roll ups?? Lets begin again....... who has parents born in the same county? Merry