Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How about a date.....

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 07:47

Does anyone know of a site that could maybe help indating some photo's by the clothing? I have a picture of my G G grandfather or his son (don't know which since they both had the same name). He is wearing a uniform but unlike I ever seen before. It looks double brested maybe with baiding across and down the front. Thanks Gypsy Joe

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Feb 2006 08:43

Joe if you google military uniforms and click on image there are lots of sites maybe you could find the one your ancestor is wearing. Georgina.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 10:56

Hey Georgina I have googled it but didn't come up with anything that really looked like the uniform. He's sitting on a chair in a garden in front or at the back of a home which I'm guessing is his own. Looks to be an officer from the cap on his head.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2006 11:05

Jo can you not zoom in on it see if you can make out the cap badge, thats how i found out one of my rellies was in the royal field artilary Steve

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 11:05

Can you email it to peeps?? If yes, can I see it??? I'll send you my email addy, if I can! (Not promising I can help though!!!) Merry

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 11:19

Joe Just an idea... Maybe it's not from the Forces, maybe a Commisionaire's (sp) uniform. Doorman, Chauffeur? Chris

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 11:44

Steve thought of zooming in but since it is only a copy of the old photo it is not the best quality and unfortunatly I have no idea where the original is. Yes Merry I can send it to you if you send me your e-mail addy. Chris I had thought of that but it looks as though he has spurs on his boots? Joe

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2006 12:06

this has got me going now lol merry any luck yet Jo have you tried re scanning it at the max dpi your scanner will do and see if that sharpens the image?? Steve

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 12:15

unfortunatly steve I don't have the origianl the scanned image was sent to me and the relative isn't sure of the wear abouts of the origianl at the moment. Even if I did have it, I'm travelling at the moment so no scanner access. Joe

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2006 12:30

Jo if you want me have shot at it with all my image editing stuff i am happy to do so not on your way up to Appelby are you lol Steve

Fred (“\(*-*)/”)

Fred (“\(*-*)/”) Report 27 Feb 2006 12:31

If you get nowhere you could try FTM's photo detective http://www(.)familytreemagazine.com/photos/may26-05.htm

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 12:37

LoL Steve not from China no. Fred I'll try that site ta. Merry is still on it at the moment. Here and her husband thought WW1 and that he must have lost his horse.LoL Just double checked my tree and one Alfred Davis was born circa 1837, the other Alfred was born circa 1874 so if it is WW1 then at least I know it's the son and not the father. Joe

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 12:43

Fancy chap isn't he Joe??? Well everyone. He is sitting in the back garden on a Victorian chair. He has a standard shaped army cap with peek. A wide band round it with an oval cap badge in the centre. No other decorative/informative features to cap. His jacket is double breasted with a mandarin type collar. There is a lot of fancy braidwork across the jacket, but (given that the jacket is khaki - I can tell from the shade of black and white! LOL) I'd say the braiding is the same colour. The braid runs across the chest with loops at each end and a fat ''bobble'' at each end of each horizontal line of braid.....maybe five of those each side of his chest.....top one at shoulder level each side, bottom one around waist level. There is ''something'' that I don't think is an epaulette (it's too close to his neck) on his left shoulder.....don't know what that might be?? There is some braid (with these loops again) around the lower sleve on the jacket. Nothing on the upper sleve. Trousers are straight cut with a wide stripe (two inches at least) down the outside leg (possibly a slightly lighter shade of khaki?). They have stirrup straps under his shoes. Shoes are definitely NOT army boots!! LOL Very smart fine leather. He has fancy spurs. A long riding crop and pair of gloves in his hand. Waxed moustache Expression suggests he knows he is looking good!! LOL Great photo......! I'd say it was WW1. Would need to look harder for a proper result.......will look at some books later on. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 12:46

Even if it's your younger man then I might be wrong with the date.....how about Boer War?? is your chap on the 1901 census?? He doesn't look over 30, I'd say. Could anyone in the family have had a third generation man of the same name?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 12:49

UPDATE - of course, they are not shoes at all, but highly expensive well fitting riding boots (the spurs are attached not on separate straps) Merry

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 27 Feb 2006 12:54

Not so far merry and as for checking the 1901 census I've got to get the credit card down before adding more money so haven't checked it yet. The elder Alfred was born in middlesex (hope thats the right spelling sorry if it's not) the younger was aldershot. Joe

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2006 13:00

so it looks like he is an officer and a gentelman then in his dress uniform

Fred (“\(*-*)/”)

Fred (“\(*-*)/”) Report 27 Feb 2006 13:01

Not a Lancer is he ? http://www(.)soldiersofthequeen.com/ is a good site for uniforms of that time

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 13:02

Is this the younger one in 1881? Clara DAVIS Servant (Head) M Female 30 South Sea, Hampshire, England Housekeeper Domestic Servant Alfred DAVIS Son Of Head Male 7 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Scholar Dinah DAVIS Daug Of Head Female 5 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Scholar Louisa DAVIS Daug Of Head Female 9 m Westminster, Middlesex, England Sarah COX Servant U Female 17 Harston, Cambridge, England Housemaid Domestic Servant Merry

Fred (“\(*-*)/”)

Fred (“\(*-*)/”) Report 27 Feb 2006 13:07

lots of 'khaki' braiding on this one http://www(.)soldiersofthequeen(.)com/page5l-BandsmanCorporalTedLeGrosPrinceAlfredsGuards(.)html