Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where should I look

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 12:56

Can someone help me find my granddfathers parents (he's 96 and alive yahoooo).... I have his birth certificate and details and also his brothers - but I don't know where to look to find the marriage certificate. I've looked locally but can't find it.. Which office should I visit do you think? Granddad was born in 1909 His brother was born in 1897 Thank you

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Mar 2005 12:59

we can look for them on a census if you like where were he and his brothers born? Names /approx years/ jess

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:06

That's fantastic.. Herewith the details:- Alfred George Clark - Born 1909 - Southampton Charles Thomas Clark - Born 1987 - Southampton Mother was Annie Alice Clark (maiden Wright) Born Southampton - died 1911 (aged 33) Oh and the father was James Clark - born in Scotland. Thank you

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:07

Jess, The marriage certificate I want is the one of his parents - because he says he had another two sisters.

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:08

But I'd like to find Charles and Granddad to make sure I'm linking to the right people. I have found something, but I'm not sure I've adopted the right family. I'm very new at this. Thank you Annie

Anna

Anna Report 4 Mar 2005 13:19

This could be their marriage ref Marriages Jun 1895 Boyd William Southampton 2c 56 CLARK JAMES Southampton 2c 56 Smith Agnes Maria Southampton 2c 56 WRIGHT ANNIE ALICE Southampton 2c 56 Anna :-)

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:23

No I think that was the one I asked for the certificate, paid £19 for them to look it up and Archives reckon it wasn't the right one. Annie Alice Wright - the mother - died 1911 (aged 32/33) James Clark - the father - born in Scotland - professional bagpipe player. Children :- Alfred George Clark - born 1909 (still alive!!) Charles Thomas Clark - born 1897 both born in southampton and I think there were two sisters. Thank you Anna

Heather

Heather Report 4 Mar 2005 13:29

Ann, who did you pay £19 for to look up a certificate? And how did they decide it wasnt the right one? It seems a good match.

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Mar 2005 13:29

I'm struggling to find them in 1901, any particular place near Southampton ? I assume charles is a 1897? (!) jess

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Mar 2005 13:34

Could this be them in 1901? Margery Allan Gateshead, Durham, England Head St Andrew Northumberland Thomas Allan 25 Newcastle Upon Tyne Son St Andrew Northumberland Annie Clark Southampton, Hampshire, England Boarder St Andrew Northumberland Isable Clark Southampton Boarder St Andrew Northumberland James Clark 32 Scotland Boarder St Andrew Northumberland Annie's age is given as 23 and both James' and Annie's occupations are given as Music Hall artistes. They were living in Newcastle

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:36

I paid £19 to the place you get birth certificates from in London I think - I did it on line FREEBMD would it be? Would I find anything for my granddad who was born in 1909 on any of the online records? or is that a local thing? The only thing I could find for Charles Thomas Clark was in Portsmouth and he was living with a Annie James and her husband, and I thought maybe this was the one? But not sure!

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:38

Annie Clark Southampton, Hampshire, England Boarder St Andrew Northumberland Isable Clark Southampton Boarder St Andrew Northumberland James Clark 32 Scotland Boarder St Andrew Northumberland Yes I think it is them, and this is what I found, and Isable (so my granddad tells me) died in a fire when she was only a baby. I need to link these to my granddfather and his brother and don't know how to? She was a Music Hall Artist. I know all the children were placed with other families and I'm not sure why, maybe because they travelled around? Or maybe it was when their mother died in 1911 aged 33... I have her death certififcate.

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Mar 2005 13:41

didn't someone find the death for Isable for you the other day? jess Laird...people are starting to talk....!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Mar 2005 13:41

Charles Thomas (4 in 1901 ) not with them - maybe with maternal grandparenst ? Wait one .... You said earlier - 'The only thing I could find for Charles Thomas Clark was in Portsmouth and he was living with a Annie James and her husband, and I thought maybe this was the one? But not sure!' IF this was in the 1901 census - maybe thats a remarried grandma ? (Alice/Annie name ?) Jess - lol, let em.... we know the truth .... I may not be around long, just rebuilt thgis PC and its bluescreening again ...

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:46

No I don't have a Death Certificate, a lady thought we might have the same person, but haven't heard lately? Where should I look for that one please?

Heather

Heather Report 4 Mar 2005 13:49

Ann if you bought the marriage certificate from the GRO online it should have cost you £7 not £19. And you say you didnt get it anyway because they said it was the wrong one. Who said it was wrong and why?

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:50

What happened my granddad went to live with someone called Granny Dunn - whose real name was nancey - now apparently she was Annie James (don't know how) before this and that's when I think Charlie was living with them? I'm at work so don't have the details with me.

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:51

Let me look at the email I was sent.. hang on..... Here are the details Dear Mrs Ambrose I am writing with reference to your application for the Marriage certificate of James Clark and Annie Alice Wright quoting the reference 1865, June quarter, Southampton, volume 2C page 56. I regret to inform you that the index reference supplied with your application does not relate to the entry you are seeking as it is the incorrect reference. In the circumstances no certificate has been produced. The fee for checking the reference quoted by you is £19.00 A refund of the remainder will be made to your account via Worldpay I am sorry that we have not been able to assist you on this occasion. Yours sincerely Priorites Team Replies should be sent to [email protected]

Heather

Heather Report 4 Mar 2005 13:55

Ann you gave them the wrong year, it was 1895: Marriages Jun 1895 Boyd William Southampton 2c 56 CLARK JAMES Southampton 2c 56 Smith Agnes Maria Southampton 2c 56 WRIGHT ANNIE ALICE Southampton 2c 56 You should email them again saying they looked at the wrong year it was same reference but 1895 and see if they will send it to you without a further charge if you are lucky. If not order it again, putting in the right details and just ask for the £7 option, not the priority or checking one. Though double check the reference yourself when you have entered it. It will take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Annie

Annie Report 4 Mar 2005 13:57

But Heather, Who are those people? The four listed in your msg? I'm a bit confused now, maybe that's why I've got lost.