Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

milton glasgow

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hugh

hugh Report 2 Feb 2005 09:29

does anyone know where milton was in glasgow or what it is called now.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Feb 2005 10:13

I'd like to know too...Does anyone know the name of the hospital there (assuming there is one) as I had someone die of Tetanus in 1856, registered at Milton, Lanark

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 2 Feb 2005 12:39

It's funny considering I come from Glasgow, but I'm not too sure what areas where covered by Milton. I have some certificates which seem to indicate it being near to city centre area I do know that back then Milton was a burgh of Glasgow, and is different to the present day housing estate of Milton, Glasgow. To confuse matters there is also a Milton-of-Campsie on the outskirts of Glasgow that is a different place again! I'm sure the Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society would be able to help, if you email them. address is http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/ Christine

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Feb 2005 18:10

Hi all There is a Milton between Maryhill and Balornock in Glasgow, also a Milton between Old Kilpatrick and Dumbarton and a Milton of Campsie which is between Torrance & Kilsyth - all Glasgow Area. Rgds Caroline (From Renfrewshire area but working in Glasgow) P.s do you have any more info that may narrow down which Milton that it is?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2005 18:15

I've had a look on www*streetmap*co*uk [replace * with .] and Milton is a very popular name in Scotland - there are at least a dozen. But the one in Glasgow is just south of Bishopbriggs. nell

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 2 Feb 2005 19:01

Hi the one just South of Bishopbriggs is Milton of Campsie. It's not the same as the (District)Burgh of Milton that bdm's were registered in. Christine

Robert

Robert Report 23 Jul 2017 10:33

Hi,
I am looking for family relatives of Patricia Amelia born 12th December 1934. Possible surnames are VOSPER or KELLER. The Extract of Register of Birth gives KELLER as surname but the Certificate of Birth gives VOSPER. Patricia was an illegitimate child given up for adoption . Her biological mother was Mary Townsend Keller residing at 19 Burnbank Gardens, Glasgow.
Pat now 83 residing in France is desperate to find possible relatives.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 11:08

Have you used scotlandspeople for any possible information about Mary Townsend Keller?

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 11:10

This looks like a possible marriage for Mary:

KELLER MARY TOWNSEND
SCOULAR JAMES WALKER
1939 644/11 61 61 Possilpark

and this might be his birth:
SCOULAR JAMES WALKER M
1910 644/2 633 Camlachie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 12:13

Robert -
it would have been better if you had started a new thread of your own, instead of adding to a very old one which appears to bear no relation to your enquiry, apart from Glasgow.

EDIT:

Oh, I see - Patricia's birth was registered in Milton.

Please remove her exact DOB from your post, as she is living. This isn't a secure site.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 12:16

There's this death of a James Walker Scoular - but clearly not the one whose birth Patchem has posted, and possibly too old to be Mary's husband:

SCOULAR
JAMES WALKER
424/ 405
Dunfermline

Probably that one's birth:

SCOULAR
JAMES WALKER
M
429/ 54
Ferry Port On Craig

I can't see Mary's birth in Scotland / England / Wales.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 12:28

This might be the marriage of his parents, as there is a James W Scoular on the 1935 Glasgow ER with Mrs Janet Scoular and John R Scoular

SCOULAR JOHN RICHARD
WALKER JANET
1906 644/10 185 185 Anderston

Not yet found deaths for Mary or James.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 12:40

Possible birth for John - is he in any trees on here?
SCOULAR JOHN RICHARD M
1881 644/8 815 Milton

and death:
SCOULAR JOHN RICHARD age 69 in 1951
644/11 203 Possilpark

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 12:43

Robert -

am I understanding your request correctly - Patricia's looking for living relatives?

Or is it the family history she's interested in?

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 14:55

ArgyllGran,

I was going backwards to try and go forwards.

As we cannot see the deaths for Mary or James, thought someone who knows more might have some common ancestors in their trees.

Similarly we cannot see the birth for Mary, so cannot see siblings for her.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 16:05

Sorry, Patchem - I wasn't criticising your methods - sorry if it sounded like that.
Just trying to establish what Pat wants.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 16:20

No, no, I thought I had just better explain, as really need Mary's side of the family, and I had no intention of finding censuses etc for James.

So the marriage certificate is needed for more information about Mary and her family.

And how does Vosper fit in?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 16:21

Robert -
I think you'll have to buy a copy of the Keller / Scoular marriage cert, which will give you Mary's parents' names, and her age.

So far, we can't find her birth or death.

EDIT:
Crossed with your post re marriage cert, patchem!

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jul 2017 16:35

?
https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=SCOULAR

South African death records:
Full Names Surname Year of Birth View More
MARY TOWNSEND SCOULAR 1904 Click Here for More Information

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2017 16:43

In 1939 there's a William F Vosper and Mrs Heather Vosper living at 940 Sauchiehall Street - don't know if that's relevant at all:

William F Vosper
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: William F Vosper
Residence Year: 1939
Address: 6854
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow

In 1960 there's a Dora Vosper in Carmunnock Road:

Dora Vosper
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: Dora Vosper
Residence Year: 1960
Address: 181
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow

In censuses there are a number of Vospers in Greenock, and a family in Govan.

***** In 1939, a Rudolph Keller, shopfitter, is proprietor of 19 Burnbank Gardens, as well as a "yard and office" at 193 Rotten Row:

KELLER
RUDOLPH
Proprietor
HOUSE 19 BURNBANK GARDENS
GLASGOW
VR010201461-

(From Valuation Rolls, SP)