Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christian Name Alternatives;-

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 7 Aug 2007 08:26

See below in a mo;-

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 7 Aug 2007 08:33

Last night someone posted a message saying he had found someone in his tree named John but called Jack, I then answered that my father was the same and also my mother was named Ellen but called Nellie, This morning I have had a message from a Lady thanking me for mentioning Ellen could be called Nellie as she has been searching for a lady called Nellie and now thinks she may have found her death registered under Ellen. So anyone know anymore alternative christian names - what we take for granted could be just what someone else is looking for, Pat. JOHN = JACK ELLEN = NELLIE

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Aug 2007 08:40

I have a William and a Henry that were both called Harry and a Elizabeth that was called Bessie Roy

Jacky

Jacky Report 7 Aug 2007 08:41

hi paula i had something very similer to your problem but not the same mine was when looking for one of my mums gt gt gt uncles mum always thought they called him paul but he was really called william but because he hated the name william everyone called him paul (his middle name) it took a while to sort out but i got there in the end (lol) jacky

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 7 Aug 2007 09:02

Mary====Polly. Sarah--------Sally. Florence -----------Florrie ,Flora or Fanny.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Aug 2007 09:28

Jane ....known as.... Jinny or Jean Dorothy ....known as.... Dolly Hannah ....known as.... Nan Gwyn

Julie

Julie Report 7 Aug 2007 10:50

Irish name varients... Margaret - Peg- maggie Jane - Sinead Bridget - Breda - Bridie - Biddy Maurice - Moss - Mossie - Morris William - Liam - Bill - willy Michael - Micheal- Richard - Dick Julie - Julia - Jula - Sheila - Sile James - Shamus - Jimmy - Jim John - Sean - Shaun Anne - Aine Catherine - katrina - Kat - Cait- cathy Thats all i can think of at the moment Julie

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Aug 2007 11:22

In my family: Richard--Dick Charlotte--Lottie Dorothy--Dot Ellen---Nellie Ethel---Tet Bertram--Bert (This one led me astray, thought Bert was short for Albert) Elizabeth--Lizzie (But I have another Lizzie who was never Elizabeth, she was christened Lizzie)

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 7 Aug 2007 13:27

Hi Agnes = Senga Thomas = Tom = Tam Charles = Charlie = Chuck = chick Joan = Jan Doris = dolly Livinia = Vinnie

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 7 Aug 2007 13:34

Hi, Other names I have come across Mary = May Helen = Nellie Herbert = Harry

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 7 Aug 2007 19:18

I have an Elizabeth who was always known as Peg - just to confuse the issue! Jill

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 7 Aug 2007 20:46

Just thought of another one Adeline = Lynn or Ady

Izzy

Izzy Report 7 Aug 2007 22:07

I have a great uncle who i thought was Bert short for Albert, turns out he's Gilbert, John, who was known as Jack, Walter who was known as Bob, Mary who was actually Ethel, Cilla was Priscilla, and thats just one branch of the tree. xxIzzyxx

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 8 Aug 2007 02:07

Our Nellie's were registered as Helen, Eleanora and Nellie. Bob was Cecil Alfred Herbert Tom was Arthur Edmond Richard Dick was Edith Isobel Laura Kit was Laura Alice Marjorie Cissy was Rebecca Fanny Eliza was sometimes Fanny, or sometimes Eliza or even Frances Elizabeth on the odd occasion. Dorrie, both Dorothy and Dorcas Etty or Hetty - Hester, Esther or Ethel and a couple of blokes baptised ROYAL, but don't know what they were called every day !! Di

Huia

Huia Report 8 Aug 2007 05:11

Elizabeth can also be called Bessie or Bess or Betty.

tinkerbe

tinkerbe Report 8 Aug 2007 05:48

in my tree ] after 1900 edward albert know as albert before albert edward know as albert

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 Aug 2007 08:00

Robert = Bob Henry = Harry

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 8 Aug 2007 08:36

Andrew-Andy,Drew James..Jim- Jimmy John-Jack Robert- Rob,Bob,Bobby, Rab,Bert,Bertie Agnes- Nan Isabella- Isa, Izzy Jane-Jean,Jeanie Thomas-Tom,Tommy,Tam Hugh- Shug William-Billy,Bill,Willie, Wully, Will,Wull Walter-Watty Helen-Nell,Nellie,Nelly,Ellen Margaret, Meg,Peggy,Maggie,Mags,Rita Fiona, Fee Frances,Fran,Fanny Elizabeth, Beth,Betty,Bessie Beatrice-Bea Daniel-Dan Danny,Donald in Scotland sometimes. Marion- that's me lol

William

William Report 8 Aug 2007 09:32

Has anyone come across an alternative name for Edna? Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 8 Aug 2007 09:50

My two grandmothers were Eleanor and Margaret Ellen. Both were called Nell for all of their lives. But it is a pet-name, their proper names were used on all official stuff. Amelia => Millicent (and vice-versa) This alternative name baffled me for quite a long time. She was registered and christened Amelia, appeared in the census and married as Millicent, then died as Amelia. Certificates have been checked. It is not the only example of this alternative name. -- Dave.