General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Council Tax

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 17 Jun 2008 22:35

One of the girls I work with."Sue"....really resents paying her CT...so she rang them...and this is what she said pmsl............

Sue...

I dont see why I should pay concil tax.....

CT......

Really Mrs X and why is that...

Sue...

I am very careful and safety conscious.......so I wont be ringing out the firebrigade......I can take my own rubbish to the tip....I am sure if I speak with the neighbours we can take it in turns to sweep our road.....I am law abiding so never have contact with the police, the streets lights out side my house have never work at the same time in the past 5 years........so please tell me why I should have to pay my council tax......?????

CT....

Mrs X ** sniggers **

I can see your ready to conquer the world ....and beleive you are able HOWEVER......you have to pay your council tax...* Hangs up *

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 22:36

pmsl. Well done her. Shame they couldn't have come up with a better reason though !!! xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jun 2008 22:40

well good for her

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 22:42

I must admit I have to agree with her for some things I dont see why I should have to pay for services that I do not use.

Plus the fact that the CT gets higher and higher and we have to do have the work - ie. the rubbish- recycle and taking the bins outside ourselves. Where are the good old days when the dustbin men came inside the front gate and collected it and carried it on their backs! Not like the pansies we have now and you just have to wheel them to the truck. Oh and did anyone see the news item (perhaps it was local to me) that some of the bins are not getting emptied now because the two finger test!

I kid you not, if the dustman cannot move the bin with just two fingers they leave it behind. Have you heard anything so bloddy well ridiculous!!!!

Ooooh rant over lol

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 Jun 2008 22:52

I am very careful and safety conscious.......so I wont be ringing out the firebrigade......

SO -- when your neighbour's house is struck by lightning and goes up in flames, we'll make sure the firefighters don't accidentally put out any sparks that land on your roof.

I can take my own rubbish to the tip....

AND you'll be prepared to pay the dumping fee, of course. What? You didn't know there was a dumping fee? You thought you got to dump your rubbish on public property for free? *snigger*

I am sure if I speak with the neighbours we can take it in turns to sweep our road.....

AH, we bet your neighbours just love you and will be signing up on the rota and be thrilled to spend their Saturday mornings cleaning up the street trash ... that they didn't put there. Oops. What happens when one of them says "I didn't put the trash there, why should I take it away???"??

I am law abiding so never have contact with the police,

SO you will certainly not be wanting the police to attend when you are run down at an intersection by a speeding SUV making an illegal turn. Or when your house is broken into. Or your granddaughter gets lost. "*snigger*" hardly begins to cover this one.

the streets lights out side my house have never work at the same time in the past 5 years........

PRAY that this is the worst thing that happens to you in the next five years. If it is, we'll give you a refund on the street light portion of your taxes.

so please tell me why I should have to pay my council tax......?????

WELL, Ms. X, what I want to know is why I'm paying taxes to pay for your brats to go to school????

For starters.

Mind you, I liked the answer she got.

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 17 Jun 2008 22:53

Dont get me started on this one lol
well done Mrs x
Rosex
~~~~~

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 17 Jun 2008 22:57

note I said work.....so she pays tax....to send her child to school...

I won't tell you about her calling the police out when her car broke down on the motorway :-))

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:01

oooh Hayley, I flagged down a police car - many many moons ago cos me car had broken down -and it meant me walking over the downs in th dark late at night. They were very helpful and came and had a look and told me I had run out of petrol - I felt such a twit. They kindly took me home. I had been drinking wine at my friends (not too much) and was thinking whilst sat in the back of the car would they breathalise me!
They would not even take a few pounds to get themselves a coffee bless them.

Harpy

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 17 Jun 2008 23:07

omg harpy did you know them

lol

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 17 Jun 2008 23:07

I wonder if I write to Gordon Brown and say.....nahh it will never work...lol

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:08

Yes, but these children will grow up and pay taxes themselves one day and will contribute to our old age, i.e. free bus passes.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 23:09

Does Council tax pay for education? I thought that was income tax? xx

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:09

The Police? LOL - no, just thought it was the best thing to do. They were in a marked car and everything so felt safe in flagging them down. Bet it made for an interesting evening for a change! lol

Harpy x

JustKaz

JustKaz Report 17 Jun 2008 23:10

that happened to me and my 2 mates, her car broke down, so we both walked just over a mile in foggy weather, leaving our other mate in the car, we got to police station in the middle of nowhere (well brentwood, essex ..lol) and this rather dishy officer opens the doors and asks whats up, so we tell him broken down, he says no probs jump in car,............. my mate jumps in back says eeeewww...... so open front door...... well i closed it quick, handcuffs & his large stick was on seat, and it was all leather ............ climbed in back on plastic seat............. wont see me in one of those again.......... lol
nite all~~ sweet dreams, kaz xxxxx

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:11

Could be both Muffy. Income and council tax. xx

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 23:12

Well blow me down you learn something new everyday lol. I never saw education on my break down of council tax in April. Probably in the small print lol ......(which I never read) xx

Sue

Sue Report 17 Jun 2008 23:12

My late sister received the annual account for her council tax and spotted that a donation had been made to a group which she found objectionable on moral grounds.

She wrote to the council enclosing her payment less the percentage that represented her contribution to this group.

She never had a reply and they never chased her for the balance.

Sue x

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:14

Well now, thats worth looking into. *hunts for papers* LOL

Tina x

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 17 Jun 2008 23:16

Pmsl Harpy.

Death and taxes.......only two certainties in life. Don't mean you have to like em though lol xx

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 17 Jun 2008 23:17

Muffy - thought so - was too lazy to go and get any of the paperwork out!

Everything is taxed these days!

If its not Income its council if not that its VAT - there must be something else I have missed? LOL