General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Queen costs Brits 66p each

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 27 Jun 2008 13:00

I think that's good value for money!!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080627/tuk-queen-costs-brits-66p-each-dba1618.html

I mean...what else could we buy with 66p??

Sue
xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jun 2008 13:04

is that per annum? whichever, as you say it's good value for money!!

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 27 Jun 2008 13:12

Sorry ....yes it's per annum and per tax payer.

Sue
xx

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 27 Jun 2008 13:14

I think its excellent value for money and me thinks it covers the whole of the royals doesn't it and not just the Queen?

xx

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 27 Jun 2008 13:20

Ah yes Pink...you are right :-))

It covers the family too.

I always thought the royal family cost tax payers an arm and a leg.

66p doesn't exactly break the bank really.

Sue
xx

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 27 Jun 2008 14:21

How much does Gordon Brown cost us ? !!!!!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Jun 2008 14:41

Hah, I get even better value for money.

We get the Queen for free! ;)

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 27 Jun 2008 14:46

Mind you figures can be made to say anything!!

Hi KathrynB yeah you do lol :-))

Sue
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Jun 2008 15:04

I don't think that's too bad, but I do wonder why she cannot afford to rewire the Palace and update the heating etc. It can't be very safe or enviornmentally friendly but surely there must be enough money to do it. She could ask some of the grace and favour lot to contribute through a rent increase or by paying rent if they don't already, also Charles could cough up a bit, it will be his 'inheritance' altho I think Buck House is supposed to belong to the Nation. As the Queen doesn't pay rent, presumably, I would have thought she could have found the cost of rewiring etc from somewhere.
Lizx

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 27 Jun 2008 15:12

lol she lives in a council house then...she could get the council to do it up for her

Spud Fae Livi

Spud Fae Livi Report 27 Jun 2008 15:44

Good value if you divide by everone in the contry(66p).
But £40 million is still a lot of money.I you look at it another way if you have two kids you are paying £1,98.
It is an increase of 5%, did all of you get that sort of rise this year.

Spud

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 27 Jun 2008 19:58

It costs a great deal more than that to support a govmnt, and a council. I hope I can work as hard when I reach her age. I get stressed enough now trying to keep presentable and not too ancient, and how she manages to do all her public duties without ever having to say, Sorry, I have to go to the loo or there will be a puddle. Most of the people I know of her age couldnt stand for half as long or be able to converse with complete strangers the way she does. Jean

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 28 Jun 2008 21:16

In My opinion HM is well worth it, she is a true ambassador for our country. When we saw her on Thursday she was wonderful, every inch the wonderful woman we love,

Caz xxx

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 28 Jun 2008 21:19

I think it's damn good value consider what she does for tourism (the americans and japanese love her). And how much do the politicians cost us?

~~~~~@ cazzles, hope you got my text, hun.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2008 21:21

And also Buckingham Palace is one of our 'flagship' buildings. One of the places that draws tourists to the capital to spend money in the shops.

If the MPs took a lower pay rise it wouldn't hurt them to contribute towards the refurbishment. On the other hand if they could just curb Andrew's love of expensive travel that too could go towards the refurbishment.

I think we get excellent value for money.

ann
Glos

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 28 Jun 2008 21:46

Hello Liz hun, yes i did sorry havent replied yet, my son nick got some very bad news tonight, been talking to him. Im glad youdad is a little better.

Hi Ann, I agree, some royals do push it but HM is a true Queen, she has served this country so well,

Caz xxx

Jac

Jac Report 28 Jun 2008 21:53

66 pence eh? why, that could get a pensioner a packet of sausages and a small cob from Asda! I doubt Her Maj.will have to stoop so low.

If my home needs rewiring, re-pinning etc then I pay for it myself - why shouldn't she?

Jac

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jun 2008 21:54

I do remember reading somewhere that we actually make a profit on HRH - country as a whole that is

Surf

Surf Report 28 Jun 2008 21:57

shame that

maybe the government should pay all the royals
the meer pitance they pay the poor hard working british people

£5.52 per hour

surf

Jac

Jac Report 28 Jun 2008 21:59

I totally agree Surf.

Poor old Liz is apparently down to her last £320million - now that is a case of hard luck isnt it?