General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New proposed smoking ban

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 1 Feb 2010 11:15

Dunno where my Ping went...lol

I can't be bothered with relaying all the gumph but the core is:

The commitments include a review of the law to consider if areas like entrances to buildings should be included in the smoking ban as part of further measures to protect children which would include the promotion of smoke-free homes and cars.

I was at a Government complex last year and the security guard told us that the whole complex was a no smoking zone, that included our car!

So where did all the employees gather to have a puff? Just outside the security gates bang next to the creche where the children were playing outside. That made sense didn't it?

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 Feb 2010 13:25

When OH & I visited my mother in hospital, we were standing just outside the entrance to the car park about 200 yards from the hospital building, having a fag while we waited for our lift. We were approached by a "security person" who said smoking was not allowed on hospital premises. Debatable whether we were actually on the premises, but what caused OH to have a dicky fit was that we were standing next to the incinerator building whose chimney was belching clouds of black smoke in all directions.
Marion

Annx

Annx Report 1 Feb 2010 17:16

When I had an operation a few years ago and was discharged I hobbled to the hospital entrance and sat in a chair near the doors to wait for my husband to fetch the car as I could barely walk. Outside the doors were about 4-5 people smoking and every time they moved about they triggered the doors to open and in blew freezing cold smoke laden air. That made sense too didn't it?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 1 Feb 2010 18:45

Well hospitals administer drugs so they should allow an area where we can self administer our nicotine.

Probably told you before I sat on a panel re Withybush Hospital and their no smoking policy. Only the organiser and I smoked! I maintained that visitors could wait till they got outside the perimeter BUT for those family members who were staying hours on end with their terminally/critically ill family they should be allowed to go somewhere for a coffee and a ciggie if they needed to. About 70% of the panel agreed with that. When I said that patients who were addicted should have a designated area about 20% agreed.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Feb 2010 18:50

Maybe if they had made a sensible option to having smoking rooms, people wouldnt HAVE to loiter in doorways and the like.....its disgusting having to wade through ankle deep cigarette butts at times....if people want to smoke......let them, but provide proper isolated facilities for it!!!

and as for telling what I cant do in my own car........rubbish.

I had an email from a concern relating the tale of a bloke that was convicted of "blowing his nose" in his car, while stationary in a traffic jam......with handbrake applied..

Bob

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 1 Feb 2010 18:54

When I had to go into hospital for a minor op there was hours and hours worth of delays.....so I thought *s*d it* and went for a ciggie. outside in the courtyard (yes and I paid for it later after the anaesthetic as predicted lololol)

Forgot I was wearing an open backed gown and must've flashed my backside to half of Hertfordshire LOL xx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Feb 2010 18:54

copied from MSN news

A man is facing a criminal trial after he was caught blowing his nose behind the wheel of his car.

Michael Mancini was given a £60 fixed penalty notice after a policeman decided he was "not in control of his vehicle" when he wiped his nose with a tissue.

But the father-of-two told the Daily Record newspaper that he had "made sure it was safe" to blow his nose before taking his hands off the wheel.

Mr Mancini, 39, said he was in stationary traffic and had put his handbrake on when he committed the alleged offence in October last year.

He refused to pay the fine and now faces a trial later this year.

Mr Mancini, who runs a furniture restoration business in Ayr, told the newspaper he still had the used tissue in his hand as he was fined by the policeman.

"I needed to blow my nose so I put my handbrake on and took the car out of gear.

"I noticed four police officers, but I didn't think anything of it. Then one of them waved me over.

"I was stunned when he said I was getting a fixed penalty notice for not being in control of my car. I'm really angry. I made sure it was safe to blow my nose."

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: "A 39-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with an alleged traffic offence on October 26."

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 1 Feb 2010 22:46

A hospital not far from me was recently on news for providing a smoking shelter in its grounds. Their rationale was that it had been ruled unlawful to ban people from smoking in the open air, even though they were on private (NHS owned) land.
What hacks me off is that if I was to go into hospital with a crack cocaine habit (on which I wouldn't be paying such extortionate taxes) no-one would come along and say to me "well that's it, you'll just have to do without, go cold turkey". Oh no, I'd be given all manner of drug substitutes to treat the withdrawal symptoms.
BUT - go in as a smoker and you're just expected to do without, despite it being widely acknowledged that nicotine is an addiction.
Not fair in my book....

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 1 Feb 2010 22:48

Why caNT PEOPLE JUST LEAVE US SMOKERS ALONE .. I AINT BOTHERED ABOUT PEOPLE THAT DONT SMOKE .. SO WHY SHOULD THEY BE BOTHERED THAT I DO .. oops sorry didnt mean to shout lol
im fed up with all these do gooders .. lol rant over
~~~ x

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 1 Feb 2010 23:19

Well the report about nose blowing is damn stupid!!! What about scratching, adjusting specs, rear view mirror. This world is MAD, unless it's me, quite possible, but I can still make a considered rational decision about stupid application of motoring laws.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Feb 2010 23:53

Walking to work this morning, I just avoided being hit by a plonker driving(?) a white van - fag in one hand, texting on is mobile with the other!

They go on about 'passive smoking' - no-one seems to mention the 'passive' inhalation of traffic fumes (more than 100% stronger than fag smoke) whilst walking to work!!!
(I'm green and mean - £1.05 for a mile bus journey!!)

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 1 Feb 2010 23:55

lol your lucky maggie here its 2 pound for 1 stop lol

Diane

Diane Report 2 Feb 2010 00:30

I think it is time all smoker's got a petition up to stand up for are right's. We choose to smoke and take a chance on our health just like people choose to eat unhealthily, do they get told they are banned from eating NO, instead thousand's of £ are spent on treating them for their addiction, we pay big taxes on our addiction and then get told if we continue we won't be treated on NHS for any condition related to our addiction. I agree we should not smoke in area's of none smoker's like ( food area's, area's in pub's for none smoker's, or area's of public place's put aside for none smoker's ) but let us have a life and choice like none smoker's. I resent being told I can't smoke in my own home if I am expecting a visit from a houseing repair worker, as a responsible and thoughtfull smoker I alway's ask the visitor if they mind me smokeing while they are there, they are not alway's as considerate of me as many time's I have had a workman in my home who has just lit up and not even bothered to ask if it is alright for them to do so. Time to stand up for our right's as well don't you think ?

Diane

michael2

michael2 Report 2 Feb 2010 10:36

poice state comes to mind

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Feb 2010 11:03

i think they should have had proposed smokig rooms, instead of having smokers stood outside,
the front of the buildings look scruffy with all th fag ends, and they never clean the outdoor ashtrays, even if they have them xxx

****MO***Rocking***Granny****

****MO***Rocking***Granny**** Report 2 Feb 2010 11:06

We can smoke out in the garden at work,but must not be by an open door
Edit.......................The residents have there own smoking rooms,one upstairs and one downstairs.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Feb 2010 11:17

I absolutely agree that fag ends outside entrance doors is vile. I don't expect anyone to suffer because of my habit BUT I do expect a designated area that isn't rain soaked to have my fix when I want to.

What I do in MY car with another consenting adult (who doesn't smoke btw) is my business, not some jumped-up beaurocratic twerp's.

Perhaps plod might just like to consider what I would call 'proper policing' in place of motorist victimisation for the most petty infractions.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Feb 2010 11:27

Stray when our offices had smoking rooms the smoke permeated through the door to the rest of the rooms and corridor surrounding it, I guess that is why they did away with them, Also I think it may be that nobody was deterred from smoking while there was a smoking room. Having to go outside has encouraged a lot of people to give up smoking, some of whom already wanted to but with smoking rooms found it hard. I have no problem if people have weighed up the consequences and still wish to smoke so I feel they should have somewhere to be able to do so. However, doorways do make it unpleasant for non smokers.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Feb 2010 11:31

your right there, lots have quit smoking due to the ban,and we souldnt smoke right outside doors, but its usually the warmest place haha xxx

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Feb 2010 12:21

lol Lynda we do have what my daughter calls a 'drug dealer's car' complete with blacked out windows ;-)

x