General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Packing suitcase - advice please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 18:11

I need a bit of help here.

Off shortly on hols and I must admit to being completely useless when I pack suitcases. Others arrive at their destination hang up their clothes and manage to look immaculate.

I'm the creased one (no comments about wrinkles please!)

I usually pack stuff that doesn't show the creases or is meant to be creased so I don't have to worry, but, I want to pack a pair of tidy black trousers for a couple of the evenings so, how do I pack them so they don't look like some weird concertina thing when I unpack?

Suitcase is not one of the rigid ones but it will be full up so stuff shouldn't move around. And we're going by train so no flinging around of stuff by baggage handlers.

Many thanks

Jill

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 6 Feb 2010 18:14

Hmm, put the trousers on the top, folded down the creases, like you would when hanging them, and just lay them foldedin half at the knees, in the position they would be if they were on the hanger.

Lay them on top of the clothes so they are only against the lid.

The other thing you can do, though I've failed miserable at this, is again fold down the creases, then roll them from the waist down.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 18:17

Oh - that's the way is it?

Thank you.

I dairen't try rolling them Teresa - not with my skills!

Jill

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 6 Feb 2010 18:18

I roll everything really tight and never have a crease, but then I don't have many clothes...*sobs....have a nice holiday:-) BC XX

McAlp

McAlp Report 6 Feb 2010 18:18

Lay trouser out folded at the cresses the lay plastic bag at waist end and the fold legs up and lay them in suitcase at other end there shouldn't be any creases
Enjoy you holiday.
Ann

Whirley

Whirley Report 6 Feb 2010 18:19

I roll trousers, that way they dont crease, towels on top of everything

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 6 Feb 2010 18:21

where you off to? Hope you have a lovely time - will you have internet access or will we miss you for a while?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 18:21

Adds plastic bag to list. Thank you.

I don't have many clothes either BC - and the ones that I do have are fashionably creased or madly patterned. But I daren't risk rolling anything up!

I'm not going until next weekend but if I don't organise myself a bit this weekend I will only have Monday evening free to sort stuff out and Friday evening to pack!

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 18:27

We're off to Switzerland on the Glacier Express!! 3 nights in one hotel, then 3 nights in another hotel with train trips up into the mountains etc.

OH is looking forward to it as he's not seen the Matterhorn in 50 years and wants to check that it's still there.

I hate the snow and ice but I'm sure it will all look beautiful - just don't want to walk around in it much.

Packing is a problem though as it's walking boots and warm trousers etc for day and "smart but casual" for the evenings. And then they recommend taking one small-ish suitcase so it will fit in the luggage areas on the train! Nightmare.

I feel like getting mum's old suitcase out of the loft - one of those teensy-weensy 1950s ones - and using that. 'Cos I remember all those old films where these glamourous women would carry their dinky little case on hols and then they would have all those big puffed up dresses to wear so a 1950s case must be like a tardis mustn't it?

Jill

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Feb 2010 18:28

OMG.................throw it in and

GO!

have a good one

Just to say we pack walking boots in football boot bags

Ladylol Pusser Cat

Ladylol Pusser Cat Report 6 Feb 2010 18:29

ive hear starting at the waiste then roll round including tissue, got plenty of tissue if you want had loads in me new boots lol xx

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 18:30

Most of it will get thrown in Kemp!! BUT the trousers must arrive tidy-ish or I will be grizzling ...

LOL

Berona

Berona Report 6 Feb 2010 22:37

Oh yes, add a plastic bag to your list. I always take a couple of plastic bags - one to put in the used clothes for re-packing to come home, and another for "whatever" - even if you don't use it, it doesn't take up any room!

Happy holiday.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 22:41

I'm planning on taking the walking boots in a separate boot bag thing. If I put them in the case I won't have room for much else!

Yes Berona - good point. Especially as we move between two hotels.

Jill

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 Feb 2010 22:58

Just a tip,if your trousers are creased when you unpack,put them on a hanger and hang in the bathroom and turn the shower on,the steam will help to uncrease them.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 23:00

Thank you Sue - I vaguely remember something like that now you mention it!

Cheers

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 Feb 2010 23:06

Enjoy your holiday and have a great time..

Lightning

Lightning Report 6 Feb 2010 23:09

I always take my old clothes.... on holiday with me........... I wear them and put them in the trash .............Then i use the space........ in my case........... to bring back lots of new goodies.......

ann

ann Report 6 Feb 2010 23:10

I always take a travel iron.I am off to Lanzarote on the 20th feb or maybe not.Cant find my passport.Had the house out.I have put it away safe????????????/ Annie

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 23:13

I used to know someone who threw stuff away on hols to make room for goodies ...!

Oh Annie - we had to hunt out OH's passport this morning. Turned out drawers, went through Lord knows where. He found it tucked into the inside pocket of a jacket in the wardrobe that he put away after our last hol In September!

Jill