General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Susan Maughan - 1960's singer

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 2 Jul 2010 21:59

Reminiscing recently about some 1960's female singers a friend said that Susan Maughan was born in Co. Durham. I looked on Wilkepedia and it gives her birth as - Marian Susan Maughan on 1 July 1942. Checking Ancestry I could find no trace of her birth.

Anyone know why?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 2 Jul 2010 22:02

1942 isn't complete yet.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2010 22:06

Oh my!! our daughter just absolutely loved her song Bobby's Girl I think she was a cousin to Helen Shapiro ??

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 2 Jul 2010 22:31

Thanks desparatelyseeking - strange, I'm there three years later!

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 2 Jul 2010 23:17

They should all have been transcribed on Ancestry.

Maybe some were missing from during the war.

Christine

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2010 05:33

could they have got her birth year wrong??

Maureen Maughan Jan Feb Mar 1942 S Shields Durham

Maureen Maughan Oct Nov Dec 1942 Durham S E Durham

sylvia

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 3 Jul 2010 09:17

Was this the band Brummie.

Before Susan finally made the charts she had spent three years as a singer with Ronnie Hancock's Band and then a further year with the great Ray Ellington Quartet. Not only was she a good singer after all this musical experience but she was also an exceptionally pretty girl. This was no disadvantage as it made it easier for her to obtain singing parts in numerous movies including the British rock and roll film, 'What A Crazy World' starring alongside Joe Brown and Marty Wilde.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Jul 2010 10:40

SylviainCanada . . . . . That's what I was wondering. As ChristineinPortugal says they should have been transcribed.
If I can find her birth I will correct Wilkepedia!

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 3 Jul 2010 10:50

She was born Marian Susan Maughan on 1 July 1942, and hailed from Consett, County Durham, in the north east of England. As a child, her family relocated to Birmingham, and after leaving school she became an office typist.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 3 Jul 2010 11:19

Maybe not born in the name of Maughan, because I have just read that at the age of 10yrs her parents divorced, and her mother remarried and they all moved to Birmingham .

Just a thought as she is not registered in the name of Maughan .

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Jul 2010 11:42

Mau at the Coast - That's exactly what it says on Wilkepedia but there is no trace of her birth under that name !

Also, many web references state that Muriel Young (1950's & 1960's TV presenter) was born in 1928 . . . . she was born in 1923 !

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 3 Jul 2010 11:42

Just a question,anyone know why 1942 is not complete? as mine (1941) and brother's (1944) are on Ancestry births records..........

Hi Hawthorn...yes I've been looking on Ancestry and you're right,see no record either just one Marian Maughan born 1938 Co Durham....wondering if she gave false age for singing career/ or perhaps it's just a mistake? lol

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Jul 2010 11:45

And mine in 1945.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 3 Jul 2010 11:53

......and we know Wiki are sometimes wrong.

However I've alway loved Susan's song Bobby's girl, another memory from our youth! :O)

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 3 Jul 2010 12:15

I sometimes warble *Bobby's girl* when I've had a few (my voice is rather stunning, then, I find!!) to my OH.... bless him!!

Love

Daff xxxxx

Annina

Annina Report 3 Jul 2010 15:02

Husband 1943 and mine 1948,are both on Ancestry records.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Jul 2010 21:39

Sorry, never thought to say, I looked on freeBMD

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 3 Jul 2010 21:53

i didnt remeber the singers name, but i lobve the song,
my daughter loves that kinda music too

bobbys girl,

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Jul 2010 22:06

Is 1942 FreeBMD exactly the same as 1942 on Ancestry . . . . not complete?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Jul 2010 23:00

It was free BMD I looked at, never thought it might be on ancestry.