General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Excitement for the Day

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 21:20

just after 3.00am my wife screamed that there was a rat in the bedroom.

I just thought that she was being more insulting than normal, and wondered why it couldn't wait until breakfast, our normal time for such discussions.

However, it turned out that it was a genuine rat brought into the room by one of our cats. Tried all sorts to catch the thing (rat, not cat) with me running round the room in my undies to protect my modesty and give some feeling of security should the rat decide to ascend my legs.

It has been years since I've chased anything round the bedroom when I have just been wearing my undies!

Meanwhile, the cat thought that this was great fun and helped in the chase. Then after about ten minutes the cat either got bored or decided that we were having so much fun, and sauntered out of the room and refused to take any more part in the activities.

We caught the rat twice in a wastepaper basket, and twice it escaped. I Think that it must have trained with the bl**dy SAS!

Eventually I cornered it where I was able to subdue it with a thick curtain rod. Just to make sure that it remained subdued, I clobbered it several times and scooped it into a plastic bag.

As I went downstairs to dispose of the carcass I looked into on of the other rooms, and there were both cats sat together looking very sheepish.

As I went out to the dustbin, I realised two things. One, I was wise to put on my underpants otherwise I would have been in the garden wearing nothing but a pair of slippers and a wry grin. Secondly, the forecast storms had in fact arrived. I got soaked.

The icing on the cake came later (about two hours later) when I came down to do my usual stint on GR.

There, on the loungeroom carpet, was one very dead mouse who was still able, even with its dead eyes, to give me a look of sheer hatred! on behalf of all rodents both little and large.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 27 Nov 2012 21:33

Just been asked why I'm laughing so hard.

Brilliant.

Reminds me of one middle-of-the-night many years ago when I was awoken by one of our cats depositing a mouse on my pillow. I screamed and woke hubby whose scathing response was "The ****ing thing's dead isn't it?"

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Nov 2012 21:41

Oh yes, the lovely presents.

I think I still have the bank vole indoors. Have had the rats and the mice. I don't know why he perseveres,I never show any gratitude.Not even when I woke up in a blood soaked bed with the freshly killed rat at the end.

Next pet I have will be a goldfish!

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 21:49

lol Jill and Sharron :-D

Sharron, just make sure that it is a genuine goldfish and not a piranah in disguise ;-)

I wouldn't mind but the two cats are not even ours, they are our daughter's. We offered to look after them when her marriage broke down, and a few years later we are still 'looking after' them :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 22:00

I'm forever chasing mice around the house - genrally manage to catch them and save them too!! although one I saved did bite me resulting in a three month course of tetanus jabs

good job it wasn't a squirrel Allan - they love nuts and there was you in your undies!! close shave :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 22:02

Lol Ann, and rats and mice can get into the smallest of openings ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 22:03

I know - I've seen a mouse hole!!!! ;-) ;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 Nov 2012 22:07

"there was a rat in the bedroom. I just thought that she was being more insulting than normal"

Allan. Brilliantly funny. I don't do much running round the bedroom these days either :-D :-D

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Nov 2012 22:15

ha ha the shoes on the other foot now,

i bet it was a fiendish plan by the rat on behalf of all the small furry animals for miles around,oh what a laugh they all must have had,sniggering behind the bushes at the sight before their eyes,a middle aged man running around in the rain with nothing on but a pair of black socks and jesus sandles,
i bet the rat is a saint in the eyes of the small furry animal community,they will talk of his bravery for yrs to come :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 22:23

Well, Suzanne, he was certainly a martyr for the cause.

Like all game, I'll leave it to hang for a few days before deciding how to cook it. If I can get another one I may well make a ratortwoee :-D

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Nov 2012 22:29

oh you dont leave it to hang do you?
oh what a horrible sight that must be :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 22:36

some things are meant to just hang ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 22:39

Don't I know it, Ann :-D

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Nov 2012 22:39

OH DONT :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 22:47

lol Suzanne ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 23:20

try not to be too downhearted Allan, things may take an upturn some time soon!! ;-)

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Nov 2012 23:22

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 23:23

steady Suzanne - steady girl ;-) ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2012 23:23

Well, Ann, if I was to take up all the offers from various pharmaceutical companies who send me emails, I'd be a fine upstanding citizen ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 23:25

me too - I used to get a lot of offers "for a larger one", but couldn't understand cos I don't even have a smaller one - what's that all about then ;-)