General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The price of .....................

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 12 Dec 2012 12:35

Stamps, I have just been to post my Christmas cards second class postage has actually cost me more than I paid for the cards. It was 75p to send one to my Aunt ; it was slightly larger than A5 but a lot smaller than A4 and should therefore have got there for 46p. Royal Mail is stupid; It cannot cope with things other than "regulation sizes" as it set its own regulation.

So long as Post Office Counters do not close, Royal Mail signed its own death warrant with the "standard size" mullarkey.

I hand deliver as many as possible, however not all are within walking distance but with the price of petrol this is now becoming another expense :-|

Island

Island Report 12 Dec 2012 12:51

I've cut right back on sending cards through the post. Too expensive. :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2012 13:00

For normal second class I was ok this year as I bought so many books a month up until April when they went up and have had enough to last all year at the old price including all my Christmas cards (almost 100).
Next year will be a different story.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 12 Dec 2012 13:04

Paula..

I haven't sent ANY ........I'm feeling very guilty :-S

Most will have hand delivered the rest will have E-Mails & Phone calls.

There are TWO that I might send..... as they are new widows this year and couldn't bear to see them without a card from me at Christmas .

All because Royal mail has got TOO GREEDY !!

The ones I have received so far will go UP again Next year as they may never send to me again .. ;-)

I'm not really that sort of person to be mean ,as I have loads of Cards I buy in the sales every year ......its just the STAMPS !!!!!!!!

Phyll

Phyll Report 12 Dec 2012 14:32

OK prices have gone up but could you deliver a card say from Southampton to Edinburgh for the price of a stamp. I think not.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2012 14:38

the sooner the Scouts take over the whole thing the better!!!

Island

Island Report 12 Dec 2012 14:41

Oh ner LOL :-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 12 Dec 2012 14:42

Spent €11.20 yesterday sending 14 cards to England from Spain.
The cards cost me €8 for 20 & I thought that was a bit much, but they were charity cards, so hopefully a few centimos will find their way into the charity coffers.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2012 14:58

Phyll no you are right, we couldn't, but they don't travel individually so can't compare travel costs. I think it is just at this time of year that people start to realise how much it costs to send a letter. I send snail mail (as well as e mails) all year and it has crept up significantly.
Anyone remember when unsealed cards went at a different rate to normal letters? Always thought thatw as a good idea. I think the post office is going to lose more custom and eventually price themselves out of the market.

And I am pretty sure that we didn't have a delivery in this area today. :-(

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Dec 2012 15:29

Well just think that after Royal Mail has been privatised and the costs go through the roof to provide bonus's for shareholders and you only get 2 or 3 deliveries a week, you will have nothing to moan about.

For many years RM were not allowed to raise postal prices at a rate comparable to inflation. Now the prices are more realistic to the actual costs to perform the whole pillar box to letterbox function.

Try posting 1 letter via another carrier and then you will realise just what value for money the Royal Mail is. Yes, they do have their problems but sadly people only ever remember the 1 bad experience and never the regular daily deliveries etc. in rain, sleet and snow.

I for one am not looking forward to the Privatisation of Royal Mail...

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 12 Dec 2012 15:29

I had 24 cards to post yesterday and had to go to 4 different places to get 2nd class. Only 1st class left and I dont wonder with the price of them, 2nd class cost to much but 1st class 10p more for each stamp. ridiculous.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Dec 2012 17:22

Not too sure about this, but it may be the case where a pensioner, on a extra benefit can get stamps at reduced rates.........

Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2012 17:24

I think you are correct Bob, people on benefits can get up to 36 stamps (second class I think) at last years prices.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 12 Dec 2012 17:39

i had to put 2 first class stamps on my mums xmas card from yorkshire to scotland because of the size if i hadnt she would have had to pay extra its shocking
PP :-(

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Dec 2012 18:42

Bob & Ann are correct : if you get certqain benefits you take a form and proof of receipt of the benefit and you can get 36 1st or 2nd class stamps at Christmas 2011 price.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 Dec 2012 18:48

I also bought all of my stamps before they went up in April
It would have cost a small fortune if I had got them before
Margaret

Jean

Jean Report 12 Dec 2012 23:47

i payed £1.28p to post a card to australia. will be looking at ways to cut down on the number of cards i post next year...maybe a phone would be cheaper than a stamp.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 13 Dec 2012 00:04

Certainly an e,card would cost you less. This country or abroad. The one I use is free.
Obviously can't send them to peeps without PCs and I like to send special cards to some peeps.

I do send most by snail mail ,but will rethink next yr.

( I buy stamps in advance ,but missed the date this yr ! )

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2012 13:57

And have you noticed the franking on some envelopes? It says "Show that you care, send a card." Shiuld that say, instead of buying a loaf of bread?

Merlin

Merlin Report 13 Dec 2012 14:05

You.ll probably find that the extra cost of stamps is to Subsidise the mail from private mail deliverers which the Royal Mail is Oblidged to deliver on their behalf at a very cheap price. :-|