General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frost free upright freezers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 13:18

Anyone got one. Any pros and cons to look out for? Our non frost free is driving me mad so we are looking to get a frost free one in the new year but could do with some recommendations for and against.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Dec 2012 13:37

We have a tall outdoor one in the garage Ann and an under the counter one in the kitchen.

I would never buy a non frost free freezer again - too much like hard work... :-D

They do tend to be a little dearer, but worth it in the long run..... :-D

Iris

Iris Report 21 Dec 2012 13:37

SparklingAnninGlos,
yes ,i've got a frostfree fridge/freezer by hotpoint , touch wood ,have never had any trouble with it .saves a lot of work (defrosting).cant think of anything against it . you may be lucky and find one in the sales :-D.happy christmas to you and yours.

GinN

GinN Report 21 Dec 2012 13:40

Please look at reviews from companies like Which? or Good Housekeeping. We got a Fridgidair frost free fridge freezer about 3 years ago , admittedly it was quite a cheap one. The first one heated up the contents of the freezer after a week, and the replacement lasted 18 months before doing the same, after which we gave up and returned to the conventional type.
We were told that frost free ones are more likely to give trouble, but those at the higher end of the market are more reliable.
Good luck, but beware which one you buy!

Merlin

Merlin Report 21 Dec 2012 13:41

Try Meile, expensive but good.**M**.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Dec 2012 13:45

I have a Bosch fridge/freezer - non-frost - had it for about four/five years now, no probs - think Miele are the best with Bosch second

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 21 Dec 2012 13:49

Ann, we have had a frost free fridge/ freezer for 8years and never had any problems with it, only just got rid of it as we wanted to go back to a white one so daughter has taken our one and fridge/freezer its still going strong, lol mind you can't remember the make as it rubbed off a few years ago.
The new fridge/freezer is also frost free and we are also happy with it.

Annx

Annx Report 21 Dec 2012 13:59

I have an upright frostfree freezer in the garage. (5-6 years old now) and a frostfree fridge freezer inside. (4 years L*C) The L*C had to have a new part under the warranty but otherwise no trouble and I wouldn't have any other now. No chunks of ice to get your chisel to and no drawers getting stuck!! lol.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Dec 2012 14:15

No hacking at ice or spreading towels on the floor either.... :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 21 Dec 2012 14:21

not really relevant to the actual query but a point I'd like to make. They don't come in standard sizes like a under-kitchentable one. When we first had a fitted kitchen (25 years ago!) they built the cupboard round the fridge-freezer, and when it packed up I couldn't find one to fit it, had to buy a smaller one. What I should have done is rip that fitment out and have the space to reach up to the ceiling! Please all of you think of that if you have a kitchen makeover!

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 21 Dec 2012 14:43

After years of enduring non-frost free fridge freezers, I finally bought a Samsung upright frost free fridge freezer about 5 years ago and it is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made. Bought it in a sale and saved £50 with free delivery.

GP

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 14:46

Thanks you all for that. Some good advice there.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 21 Dec 2012 16:06

After years of using a chest freezer, i swapped to a frost free upright. It doesn't hold anywhere near as much as the chest one which is a nuisance

One thing to be aware of is where you are going to put it, Ours is in the garage and we were merrily choosing a new one when the sales person asked us where it was going. When we said the garage,she immediately discounted most of the ones we were looking at. As the refrigerant has changed in the last few years, most freezers are not guaranteed to work below a certain temperature. If they get too cold the compressor packs up and they are not covered by the guarantee. The only brand which is guaranteed at low temperatures is Beko

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 16:57

Ours goes in the conservatory so it doesn't get too cold. Although I am sure in the summer the elecricity costs us. But the one we have has never gone up too much in temp. We do have blinds over the top to shade the conservatory but it still gets a bit hot in there.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Dec 2012 18:31

I bought one last year ,,,,frost free,,,,,,,,its doing its job ok and am happy with how it works ,,6 large deep drawers ,,,,Beko,,,,,,only draw back is alway having a chest one, it doesnt hold enough for a good stock,,not for me anyway, useless for a meat order,,,,,so after a few weeks bought another chest one for meat and bulk items , :-D :-D,,run both,

They have alarms on now if the freezer fails,or the doors been left open.....plus some have a light inside,

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 19:31

Kay can you give details on the alarms please.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Dec 2012 19:36

I have just lost my freezer(plus washing machine and tumble drier) when our garage was flooded.All were in the garage.I have been looking at which new ones to get once the insurance money comes through.The Frost Free Freezer I have been recommended by a very nice chap in Curr** is the 7 drawer Beko.It is fine for out houses and garages.(works fine up to -15 degrees.)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Dec 2012 20:00

Ann they let out a loud noise similar to a house alarm but not so loud,,,,,if the door hasnt been shut properly ,,,,it goes off as soon a the temp drops to a level,,,,,,,

Ive very often walked off and left the chest lid up!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Dec 2012 20:13

I have a Samsung and have no complaints, and,of course ,the American style job which is also Samsung.

That was bought to replace a fridge/freezer which had begun to freeze right up. I knew the time was coming to replace but only bought the posh one because it was well discounted in Comet.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 20:54

Thanks again. Kay where do you get the alarm,it sounds a good idea.