General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Germoline.............

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 6 Jan 2013 20:12

I think smells bring back memories. I used to love the smell of Germoline when I was younger, it used to be in a little round tin. My Grannie kept in a box in the bathroom and I would open it just to smell it, what a strange child I must have been. I brought a tube yesterday and it does not smell the same :-S

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 6 Jan 2013 20:19

no its not as strog smelling,
:-|

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Jan 2013 20:25

Probably does smell as strongly and the same, we just use less now.

I remember plastering it on a cut, now I would just smear on a small amount.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 6 Jan 2013 20:25

I know I stood sniffing it for ages, not the same effect :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 6 Jan 2013 20:27

it smells like euthimol tooth paste

Ron2

Ron2 Report 6 Jan 2013 20:42

I still use it for cuts and grazes - works a treat

GinN

GinN Report 6 Jan 2013 20:45

Lol ! Can just imagine you furtive Germoline sniffers. :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 20:47

crumbs - I thought this was a thread about Vaseline for a minute - don't let's go there again ;-) ;-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 6 Jan 2013 20:50

in america they do polo "mints" called life savers,

and they smell more like germoline than germoline nowadays haah

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 6 Jan 2013 21:30

Moth balls remind me of my Grandmothers funeral coat and fox fur :-D

Tec

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2013 21:37

I vaguely remember a chewing or bubble gum just after the war that tasted like germoline smells (or smelled).

edited, stupid IPad and its prescriptive text again and I didn't check because i was watching TV at the same time, sorry.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 6 Jan 2013 21:43

bazuka chewing gum, when i was little smelt like it too and ya got a free tatto, or cartoom strip lol

Aileen

Aileen Report 6 Jan 2013 21:47

Lol.....I loved the smell too....I used to think Root Beer tasted like Germoline but it doesn't so much now

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 6 Jan 2013 21:55

Germolene is a different consistency now to the way it was in the little tin and not deep pink like it was..it certainly isn't as nice a smell,
I have an odd memory of a smell I liked....don't laugh....I loved the smell of my grandmas coal cellar...now you know how weird I am!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 22:14

Germ online Ann :-S does that mean you can gt an infection on line somewhere :-S

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Jan 2013 09:29

Damp coal smells great.
Not so keen on damp dog, though.

GinN

GinN Report 7 Jan 2013 14:54

All smells are memories for me: I have to remember them, as I lost my sense of smell a couple of years ago! :-(

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 7 Jan 2013 15:02

I used to like the smell of a bottle of Quink Ink when I was at school in the 50's.

GP

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 7 Jan 2013 15:14

Aw GeordieinNorfolk that must be so diffficult, but then again there are some smells one would choose to avoid.

GinN

GinN Report 7 Jan 2013 15:22

Yes, Paula, it can be. I have to rely on others to tell me if anything smells wrong in the house. It does save me a fortune on perfume, though, I just don't bother! :-D