General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nasty Shopkeepers/Assistants/People

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 15:48

Hold on.....will get there in a minute :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 15:57

A person I have just got to know, where I live, was telling me about a time when she went shoe shopping in an elite shoe shop. The shoes were quite expensive but she liked them and was going to get a bag that matched. The assistant said to her " Are you sure you can afford it?" .......What a cheek! She was devastated, being a rather timid person who had decided to do something about her appearance to give herself more confidence.

It reminded me of the time years ago when I was a young mother. I saw a coat I wasn't sure I could really justify the exorbitant price. While I was pondering the assistant said to me the same words ......"Are you sure you can afford it?"..........Red rag to a bull.......I told her to wrap it and I would be back....which she didn't until I returned from the bank with the cash......You should have seen her face when I returned with the money......couldn't be nicer.......Cheek!....

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 12 Feb 2013 16:01

*sighs....it sounds just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman :-D <3

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 12 Feb 2013 16:02

My Daughter has a reply to assistants like that.......

I more than likely earn more in a day than you do in a month.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 16:03

LOL BC Just like her, but not with the 'rich' ending!

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 16:07

MBES

I hurt my hand when I slapped the money on the counter :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 12 Feb 2013 16:11

Susanwiv.....what colour was the coat? I like to know the fine details! :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 16:15

it was a maxi fake short fur multicoloured hooded with white fake fur trim patchwork :-D

The price of it would have paid 2 months rent and I wish I had it now :-D

( please note that I said FAKE fur :-D)

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 12 Feb 2013 16:42

Remember back in 1973 we bought our first new car an MG Midget, went into car showroom that was at end of our road. At time husband was just home from work wearing work clothes (had cash in pocket which if I remember was £840) man in showroom said don't think you can afford a car like that, shocked we left.

We had to travel some distance to another showroom where we bought said car.

Never forgot the look on the mans face when we took it back to original showroom for it's first service.

As they say never judge a book by it's cover.

Carol :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Feb 2013 16:45

i would of just told them where to shove those shoes
and bought the same ones cheeper off line :-D :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Feb 2013 16:48

I also usualy give the answer, I more than likely earn more in a day than you do in a month but on one occasion i said to the sales assistant well actually i was just checking to see how the staff in hear deal with customers, because i have just made an offer to buy the shop and was trying to find which staff would require retraining and who i would have to let go :-D

Although not quite the same thing,

When i want a new car, "I Never buy brand new" usualy abt 6 months old and always from the main dealer,

They always assume that i need and or want credit in order to buy the car,

I've only ever used credit once in my life and that was a mortgage to buy my first house

If i ain't got the money in the bank then i save until i do before i buy

Roy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2013 17:25

We decided in 1967 to buy a house after renting since we married in 1957 . We lived in SE London & i worked for Unilever at Blackfriars London. Hubby worked locally at the local factory doing shifts.

We had saved a good deposit and I looked in the newspaper every evening at the property pages , We were both evacuated to Kent in WW2 and decided that's where we wanted to live. Couldn't afford London stock even then.

I saw a new build estate being built in Rainham Kent and it looked nice so on a Sunday we went down the A2/M2 to view , We had then a motor bike and sidecar as we had our 8 year old daughter.

Well we went into the show house and was frostily greeted by the sales person . The show house wasnt the style we fancied so asked if we could look at the one we did like . She very grudgingly said yes followed by "if you are interested I want your deposit now, If you arent then clear off and dont waste my time. " I was flabbergasted and said to my hubby come on I wouldn't buy here if they were giving us the deposit and stormed off leaving him in the show house not knowing what to do .

I think it was because she saw we had the bike.

Well their r loss was our gain cos we did buy in Rainham on another new build that was nearer the station for my commute and close to a very good primary school.

We still live in the same house 45 years later.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Feb 2013 20:05

Thank you all for your interesting posts. I do wonder who these people think they are.

I am also reminded of my first visit to the States which I was dreading. I had the pre conceived idea that all Americans were loud and awful. While in Texas we had a great time and all those we met were so polite it was unbelievable, until the day I went into a gift shop. The woman practically threw the items at me and sneered. I took a deep breath and said......Do you know, I have been in your country for two weeks now and not once have I come across any rudeness, in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely and courteous everyone has been to me. You are the first person I have met who has let their country down with such bad manners.........The whole shop applauded and she rather sheepishly apologised.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Feb 2013 20:27

Not so much a rude shop assistant - more someone who thought he was better than he was!!
My ex had some land, passed down from his grandfather, who'd turned it into an orchard.
Years ago, at a country show, I saw a 'landowner's' trailer, and started mounting the steps to go inside - just out of nosiness. I'd got about half way up, when this unmentionable said very loudly (complete with plum)
'You can't come in here'!
Why not? I replied
'It's for Landowners'
'Well I own land'
'Where?'
'Why should I tell you, I don't talk to staff, but as you're here, perhaps you could saveme the bother and convey to Lord Portal that his shooting rights on the orchard behind Watership Down have expired, due to non-payment of rent, and any pheasant feeders found there will, in future, not only be removed - they will be destroyed, and if his keeper (I named him) who has already been informed of the situation is spotted on the land, it will be assumed he's trespassing. There's a good chap'

His jaw dropped lower and lower - it felt sooooo good :-D

I really did know the game keeper - he'd attended a local Agricutural college, and I used to clean out the hostel the gamekeeping students stayed in. He'd actualy approached ex & I once when we were camping on the land - and told us to get off!!!

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 13 Feb 2013 08:30

Way to go Maggie :-D Don't you just love the facials when they are caught out?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Feb 2013 10:32

These posts remind me of a time in the mid 1970's, I was visiting friends who lived near Dunkeld in Perthshire. We drove down to Dunkeld do do some shopping and went into the bank to get some cash.

A frail old lady was in front off us, she looked a little bit scruffy and she was trying to cash a cheque, the teller said as he did not know her he would need to check with the manager.

He went off to speak to the manager and a few minutes later the manager's door opened and a very apologetic teller ushered the old lady into the manager's office.

The little old lady was Nancy Carnegie Rockefeller :-)

As Carol 430181 said, never judge a book by its cover.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 Feb 2013 11:35

First rule when you are in sales..........Never prejudge..........had the biggest sale ever when working on an exhibition and every other sales person avoided the little lady in an old coat ,not looking very affluent.
A lesson could be learned by a lot of sales assistants these days.I will go back to a shop where I have been served with someone who is patient and sees my need and not try to sell me something I don't want!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Feb 2013 13:16

About six years ago whilst I was mobile, I had been searching for old fashioned semolina (in a packet). I asked 2 assistants in the supermarket and they pointed me towards a manager. Told him what I was seeking and off he went at a rate of knots with me running with trolley behind him! He stopped - gave me a tin of ready made semolina pudding, I explained again I required a packet of semolina -'You asked for semolina and here is semolina, don't you know what you want?'. He had a full blown trantum at full pitch in the aisle and then a couple turned into the aisle and I said 'this gentleman is a manager here'.

N.B. This is the supermarket which everyone is fed up hearing about on this board!

The other involved a Volvo showroom - Oh asked me to see what was in showroom about 6-12 mths old (we already had one purchased and serviced by them). I saw two, asked relevant questions and asked for a rough idea of trade in. Sales girl trotted off and came back saying 'mamnger said he could only give that if we left car in for a thorough check'. I pointed out it had been serviced a couple of months prior and had been in their care since new so would know more of the car than anyone. Did not budge.

Saturday, we set off to the Volvo showroom - on the way there OH got diverted into BMW (just for a look) and ended up ordering one. Went on to Volvo (I was sure it was because I was female I had been brushed off),
asked for Sales Manager - day off. Spoke to salesman who gave all the relevant info to OH. Left a message asking Manager to ring us when available.

I spoke to him, asked him if he recalled my asking for info a few days before. Said it was company practice to ask for a checkover. Informed him OH had had a quote without one. Then took the pleasure of informing him that OH had ordered a BMW and he could check with their showroom.

Informed him never to ignore ladies, especially wives, at his peril, they did have influence!!!!

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 13 Feb 2013 13:33

:-D :-D ;-)

Carol

Merlin

Merlin Report 13 Feb 2013 13:46

Some people seem to forget that its the Customer who pays their wages not the owner of the shop or showroom,as I used to tell my staff,Treat them right no matter how they are or look because no Customer, No profit,No Job.**M**