General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Media reporting

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Feb 2013 15:55

Do you believe what is reported or do you look for confirmation of a story elsewhere?

Do you consider some journalists more trustworthy than others?

Should the UK media be allowed to print allegations in the UK if the source is from an overseas agency?

Just interested in view of recent press reports.

Sue

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 24 Feb 2013 16:00

No I don't believe what is reported either in the printed press or other media...I often search other sources from other countries to verify a story I've read from here.

No I don't consider some journalists more trustworthy than others....every one of them only writes what their editors demand they write.

I think the UK public have a right to know what's going on in the world...regardless of what their editors or the government's stance on it is...as it is our press is a laughing stock.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 16:00

I think that under freedom of press UK media should be allowed to print anything within their strict guidelines and the boundaries of the law.
If something has come from an overseas agency then it will be carefully checked and double checked.
The British press is the best in the world despite what many think and in general terms tends to be rather balanced.
Very often an article is not to spread gossip and rumours, it is printed to make you think - a faculty which sadly seems to be dwindling amongst some British.

Robert

Robert Report 24 Feb 2013 16:19

The Newspapers print only what we, the gullible Public want to read and whilst we rubbish the Press, we still buy the Newspapers!!!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 16:25

Precisely Robert.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Feb 2013 16:35

do you mean katie price may not really be pregnant
tut tut :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Feb 2013 16:35

No I don't... Yes.
Yes
Yes

I'm going for brevity today :-)

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 24 Feb 2013 16:38

No
Yes
No

I gave up buying daily papers:

I prefer looking at it on-line over different sites, rather than just 1 editors slant on a subject

More advertisements than news

I could buy cheaper loo rolls :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Feb 2013 16:44

I always double check, certain tabloids will publish what they are told to for spurious reasons. When the report is found to have no basis in truth it has already served it's purpose of diverting attention away from a real story.

However, serious investigative journalists are alive and well, MPs' fraudulent expense disclosure is the least salacious but no less important.

If an article appears in an Italian paper and is reported in the UK then I have to assume an editor has checked it to safeguard against libel. That will lead me off trawling the www to find out more for myself.

The one huge flaw in the UK press is their weak back bone when it comes to a press blackout. This is used too often and open to abuse by those who wield influence.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Feb 2013 17:02

does this mean that Elvis may still be with us

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Feb 2013 17:11

Each journalist has a way of writing and a play with words that can distort any material......mind some are given a 5000 word slot,so to condense or elaborate can be a hit or miss.......or a made up load of twaddle.

I belive the papers name and date,,,,,,,,after that well,,,,,,,,read between the lines of many online press reports,,,,,,somewhere there will be a grain of truth.

Dont buy paper papers.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Feb 2013 17:11

He has been spotted everywhere, except in the UK, so I'll have to check :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Feb 2013 17:13

Norfolk is where Elvis lives,,,,,,,,if its not him it must be an imposter........ ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 17:14

Ann I believe he works in a chip shop.

Supercrutch what do you mean about the press blackout?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Feb 2013 18:40

Sorry Errol, I fell asleep...lolol

If you are following news re a UK citizen/story, news reports will be published in Europe and ROTW. Search as you may, watch as many UK news channels that are available not one peep!

Marvellous what hiring a PR man can achieve!

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 24 Feb 2013 18:43

Been going on for decades (at the very least)....think back to the abdication crisis...rest of the world knew about it ages before we did...

bit trickier to keep it under their hats these days..only people that care will bother to find out and that suits the powers that be just fine... as if it's not being spoon fed to them on the 10 0'clock news or their paper of choice many folk just won't bother

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 18:48

Supercrutch no worries.
It is not down to PR men - it is down to how the press works in this country plus the notion of sub judice.

Kay - that is not true of a genuine journalist - or at least the many I have known

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 18:53

sadly, we have become a society/race where we applaud the news stories that fit in with our own individual beliefs and absolutely abhor those that may go against our beliefs.
I think we have the best news service, best reporters, best media in the world.
You think our more salacious papers are bad? Take a look at many European ones!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Feb 2013 18:53

I used to know a royal reporter and he told me stuff I'd never have believed if it was in the paper.

The newpapers do self-censor but not as much as they used to and not as much as they ought. They all have their political biases. Most newspapers support the Tory party and the others are lefty.

Neither side will publish anything too damaging to the party of their choice.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Feb 2013 19:02

Of course Guinevere. Self censorship is called editing. And as I have said previously, a newspaper is a business not a service so of cause any individual peper will have its own political alegiances. That is why the press in this country is such a wonderful thing and free of outside censorship.