General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Idi Amin eat your heart out!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jun 2013 17:41

Fred rolled off down to the village lunch. No idea of anything going on.

As soon as he was settled we had the bluenose, other medals, couple of photos on the table behind him.

The parish councillor who was doing the presentation got up and stood beside him so he thought he might have a little zizz. Bit of a prod was in order there. You could see him perk up a bit when he heard her say Arctic Convoy but he was only half interested until he realized it was about him.

Several people had a little cry when she gave him the medal, including him, and me! Several photos then from a number of people who had brought their cameras.

Had our lunch and, naturally he got cream down his bib. More photos, put his other medals on and had second helpings of pudd'n' so he got cream over them!

Proper bit of a photo shoot then. I had to be in one and he had to go down the end of the hall to pose.

The highlight for me was that we have a German Lutheran pastor living in the village and he came over to congratulate him and we had them photographed together.

The medals stayed on while he came home, good thing there were no snipers along the way or he would not have stood a chance with all that bling on!

We went to Lidl to take the dodgy gums in and when we came home he was lying on the bed, still wearing his medals like some sort of sick cross between Albert Steptoe and Idi Amin!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 20 Jun 2013 17:43

Bless his cotton socks - he earned those medals and especially that one.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 20 Jun 2013 17:45

:-D :-D :-D

How lovely.

Now the village knows he is a celebrity, do you think he will be asked to open Fête's? ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jun 2013 17:46

That sounds a wonderful day, Sharron.
I have watery eyes at the mo, just thinking of what those men went through :-( xxx :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jun 2013 17:57

He was in the warm though. He was a stoker.

I would appreciate it if you didn't give him anymore ideas. Don't you think he is diva enough already!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Jun 2013 17:57

Sharron,

Sounds as if all went as you wanted it to go and had planned.

Loads of photo's then for Fred to make an album of and a story about the job he had to do on the Convoys.

That may keep him quiet for maybe half a day..lol.

He really should be writing his story of what he did on board ship and if he can remember any names of his shipmates.

I would love to read it if and when he writes it as my stepfather was on the Artic Convoys.

Would love to see the photo's when you can Please..

Just wish I had been there to see his face when the councillor came across to him..

Good on yer Fred Our Hero.. <3 <3

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 20 Jun 2013 18:02

Awww Sharron, what a wonderful memory for you and Fred :-)

I am so pleased he managed to stay awake for the presentation.................and 2nd pud of course :-D <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jun 2013 18:02

I had bought some cava for the toast. That was brought round in plastic glasses just before the presentation and he already had his nose well in to his glass! I had to stop him drinking and tell him there was going to be a toast.

Silly old sod still didn't twig!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 20 Jun 2013 18:07

Thanks for sharing Sharron, what a great day for you both.

Emma :-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Jun 2013 18:07

Bless him Sharron he sounds a real character. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jun 2013 18:12

There will be a picture and the speech the councillor made in the parish magazine next month.

This really is a brilliant village to live in.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jun 2013 19:00

brilliant and so well deserved for a true British hero - I love your description of him lying there with his medals on - thanks for telling us <3 <3 <3 <3

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Jun 2013 19:47

Oh Sharron that is absolutely fabulous!! :-D

It bought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye!!

Well done Fred!! <3 <3 <3

Thank you for sharing.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 20 Jun 2013 20:01

Glad it all went so well :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jun 2013 20:05

I forgot to say that the German had been a soldier in the Second World War which made their photograph particularly poignant for me.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jun 2013 21:14

What a fabulous day for you and Fred!

I love the image you have painted of him lying on his bed with the medals on!!

I am so glad that it all went so well xxxx

GinN

GinN Report 20 Jun 2013 21:22

Lovely to read about Fred and his wonderful day. Bless him, a proper hero. Keep shining those medals!
Lynda x <3

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 20 Jun 2013 21:23

Thanks for sharing Fred's big day Sharron :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jun 2013 21:52

What a very special day.Thank you for sharing it with us.
I'm so pleased for you all that it went so well and was enjoyed by everyone..

What a lovely description of him on his bed !

Gwyn

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Jun 2013 07:14

Hope you got a pic of him on his bed with the medals Sharron lol

So glad all your plans worked out and for him to shed a little tear, well shows how pleased he was even if he tries to make out he's a tough old boy! All the best to him and to you, for all the care you give him and the incentive to fight on, he hasn't lost that spirit he had during the war.

I keep meaning to apply for my Dad's War Record, I only know snippets and it's too late to ask him now.

Lizx