General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doz thi speak Yorksire ?

Page 0 + 1 of 11

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 15 Nov 2013 10:58

I note with no little dismay that someone at GR in their infinite wisdom has chosen to completely remove the thread (Of the same title) that was started yesterday.

Once again it seems that a perfectly innocent original post was referred for review, an action that caused several other well respected GR members to post comments expressing their feelings that the original post in no way breeched GR's terms and conditions of use. Subsequently those comments were also referred for review, probably by the same individual who referred the original post. Once again GR appears to have taken the easy option (For them) of completely removing the thread without true justification.

It is way past the time when GR staff should be able to differentiate between what a genuine cause for referral is as opposed to the questionable reason why an individual would choose to refer posts for review.

The message boards are already extremely quiet, possibly due to some GR members feeling that they are no longer able to tolerate the censorship of the masses by the questionable action of individuals which appears to be being condoned by GR. I wager that the boards are likely to become quieter still unless GR deals firmly with those who wantonly refer posts for review without proper justification.

If you agree with my sentiments then please take the time to express them by sending an email to Rhoda, the recently appointed head of GR.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2013 11:22

Well said Jonesey. Although I do have to disagree with conclusions on the thread as to the reason.

A link to Rhoda would be useful.

edit. I honestly thought there would be more posts added in the time it took me to type my post :-S

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 15 Nov 2013 11:25

As a post insulting me was reported (not by me) then allowed, I would not hold your breath. That thread was removed by the poster or GR, but I am still waiting for apologies from both them & GR.

Yours was a fun thread, why anyone should think it needed reporting puzzles me.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Nov 2013 11:29

Well said Jonesey.

Shame on GR! :-P

We're not children who need a nanny. The RR'r is causing the trouble, not the regular members/posters.

If the RR'r is honest, he/she should own up!

I passed the "Yorkshire" jokes on to lots of people, I saw one of them a few hours ago, he thought they were hilarious, and has forwarded them!!

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Nov 2013 11:29

Tiresome though all these RRs are, I think it fair enough if someone does an RR that Genes should at least temporarily suspend an OP until it can be checked - but to remove the whole thread such as this one for such as trivial reason as using a - dictionary - word is both ridiculous - and somewhat patronising to think GR members need that sort of sheltering!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Nov 2013 11:38

From personal experience, any protest or argument against a GR decision, is doomed to failure - well unless your face fits ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Nov 2013 11:38

I wondered where the thread had gone!

As usual, Jonesey sums up the situation in his usual erudite fashion and, I said earlier, he should be nominated as a National Treasure!!

I only saw the thread briefly because J. had quoted some of the jokes which were absolutely hilarious, on another thread. They certainly brightened up my morning. :-D

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 15 Nov 2013 11:58

Unless the thread is threatening is perceived to be a personal attack or insult on another member or clearly breaks GR's Terms and Conditions then I see no reason why a post and even more so a complete thread should be removed.
Just be grateful GR doesn't control the BBC or ITV otherwise we would have never had the joy of Father Ted, Mrs Brown's Boys or even Mrs Slocombe's pussy

EDIT: Just in case my reference to Mrs Slocombes pussy causes offence I would remind the offended that it was good enough for an BBC1 early evening audience in 1972 and it does of course refer to her cat
;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Nov 2013 12:04

Any posts that are hateful toward another poster should be reported and reviewed.

But my father in law said what I thought was wise. I never heard him swear - and hope I seldom do either. But he once said something "was like sh*t". My sil looked shocked. What a word to use, dad!!!!

His reply? It is the correct word for what we have put on our soil for centuries. It is in the dictionary and it describes exactly what I was trying to say. Head nods at his wisdom :-)

I can only assume thread was removed because it was causing trouble - or likely to. And it has. Pulling it has only appeared to exacerbate problem - Rhoda please note. But who was at fault - the Opening Poster, the reporter or the person in Genes high command who decided to pull thread? And will the person at fault be censured?

Personally, I think pulling their fingernails and teeth out one by one, followed by hanging them, drawing them and then quartering them slowly would not be sufficient punishment - as I have not yet seen one of the jokes :-(

As the philosopher Shankley once said "Genes chat is not life and death - it is more important than that"

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Nov 2013 12:18

no way was it "causing trouble or likely to" - GR bods should hang their heads in shame

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Nov 2013 12:20

Oh dear.

There was nothing wrong with the original thread and really should have been put back.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2013 12:35

The word which some assumed to be the reason for RR'ing was used in other posts on Mr M's thread and went unreported, so it looks like a wrong call there playmates.

Unless GR tell 'offenders' what the problem is instead of the lazy cop-out - nerr, you broke the rules - or edit the reported post so we can all see what has upset someone, the anonymous fingers will continue to call the shots on the boards.
The report button should be removed.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 15 Nov 2013 13:07

I don't think the report button should be removed - or all hell will break loose again as it did some years ago. I do however think that GR must be more proactive in pushing back at objectors and asking them specifically ''why do you object to this post'' and then posting the details and asking for feedback BEFORE deleting anything.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2013 13:24

If a post has a word deemed to be a swear word in it is reported then GR are going to delete it.

For the record the RR is not the reason I don't post much any more. I doubt many other people are that bothered about it either.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2013 13:32

Do you know something the rest of us don't Guinevere?

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Nov 2013 13:38

I can't agree that the report button be removed, given the really vile personal insults that used to stay on the boards for days at a time. Having the offensive remarks removed instantly is the only reason that most of the trolls have gone from this site.

But I do think you should have to give a clear and honest reason for reporting, and GR should keep an eye on who is doing it and how often.

Merlin

Merlin Report 15 Nov 2013 13:41

I wonder if some one remarked about about "The Yorkshire Ridings" it would be RRd? :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2013 13:53

Don't think I do, Island, but I've never known GR to restore a reported thread that had a swear word in it. "Language" doesn't bother me but a lot of people really don't like it.

I want the Report button to stay as well, for the reasons Rose gave.

If you don't want a post deleted don't include a swear word in it - or don't post iffy jokes.

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Nov 2013 14:24

It’s a pity that so much is done to destroy the pleasantness of some threads.

Let's issue a challenge to those who doubt the value of freedom of speech - apart from their own opinions.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2013 14:27

But there were no 'swear words' in Mr M's post!

The report facility is being abused and GR have been known to reinstate some very nasty posts. They should moderate the boards, as threads move so slowly these days it wouldn't take much effort.