General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Steak & Kidney Pies

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueCar

SueCar Report 15 Nov 2013 16:25

Well, am happy to report my 5 + 2 diet (sorry lifestyle change) is going well, and even happier to report that I seem to be able to eat whatever I like on the 5 days - yum!

Wednesday I had a real fancy for a steak & kidney pie. Local convenience store: no. Only steak, or steak & ale. Walked along road to Lidl: no. Manager greeted me warmly (as he usually does) and said they haven't done them for a while and no, it's not true nobody likes kidney any more and that he likes S & K.

Retraced steps then went off in other direction. Bought well-known chip shop brand of hot S & K pie from chippy. Can't say price cos some will have heart-attack ;-) What a disappointment. One piece of steak (I kid you not) in some cloy-ey gravy obviously thickened with cornflour. Vague kidney taste but no kidney.

Am I really going to have to go to a posh person's supermarket and pay an arm and a leg? I know I could make one but I am too lazy. Plus, I only want an individual one, not a huge family pie. Dropped in Co-op today and noticed they don't do them either.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Nov 2013 16:37

I'll make you one and send it over the internet :-D

I like them too but don't make very often.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Nov 2013 16:51

http://www.therealpieco.co.uk/product/individual-steak-and-kidney-pie/

The picture looks great. :-) :-) :-)

SueCar

SueCar Report 15 Nov 2013 17:24

Ooh, I'm positively drooling - thanks, SheilaWW.

Andysmum I am going to have a look now - yum again.
:-) :-) :-)

SueCar

SueCar Report 15 Nov 2013 17:39

Yes!

I have a friend who lives near one of the stockists . . .

"Hi . . . can you do me a favour next time you drive over to us?"

jax

jax Report 15 Nov 2013 18:43

Those pies looked nice so looked to see where the nearest stockist was to me in Essex....none that near me out of the 3 listed....looked under Sussex and there were loads of places then noticed they are based in Crawley where I used to live...shame I didn't try them when I lived there

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Nov 2013 20:27

Pukka pies do a steak and kidney version, I also see that they have launched a chicken n gravy LARGE pie..........Sainsburys had an offer on a couple of weeks back Pukkas were 1:89 each but the offer was 2 for £2 so I bought a few, they were 15 pence cheaper for six pies than a pack of six from Bookers....

Sainsbury do a range of different pukka fillings........ there is also their own brand .......of individual pies.......

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Nov 2013 20:50

Asda do lovely small steak and kidney pies in their chilled section Yum I love them :-D

SueCar

SueCar Report 15 Nov 2013 21:07

Cheers, guys . . . more food for thought, ha, ha ;-)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Nov 2013 21:27

We had one last night - made from scratch by OH. Son insists his pastry is better than mine ever was! Lots of gravy - was lovely :-D

SueCar

SueCar Report 15 Nov 2013 21:34

Could be what I need, ChrisoW. My old man made a crackin' apple pie a few months ago while I was out for the day at a conference, so now I've mentioned my craving he might just get the bee in his bonnet and do an S & K one. I don't mind washing up if he cooks either. ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Nov 2013 00:12

My brother loves steak & kidney pies (he calls them Kate & Sydney lol).

He moaned for ages that they had gone downhill, then he couldn't find them anywhere. Now he makes his own.

He's a very good cook, he ran cooking classes for a while, until the premises he used quadrupled the rent!

I can't stand kidneys, even the smell of them cooking turns my stomach.

K

K Report 16 Nov 2013 05:28

Our local butchers does wonderful pies. I adore their S & K., but they also do a wonderful chicken and cherry pie when the cherries are in season.

The best S & K pie I ever tasted was my mother's and her gravy was to die for. I do think the smell of some foods does bring back memories of childhood :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Nov 2013 07:37

Morrisons do their own, fresh baked in various tastes, steak and kidney, steak, minced beef, and others, we like them and they are usually 2 for £1.60, ready cooked so just heat them up in the oven or even the microwave (upside down without the foil container but the pastry top doesn't stay crisp) Very good value I think and the pastry is pretty good.

I love steak and stilton but they don't do them anymore. There is a great shop in Sheringham that does them altho they are expensive but we usually treat ourselves to a couple if we are that way.

Lizx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Nov 2013 08:29

strange,
I don't know why,I've seen Pukkas heated in a michaelwave in a chippy, and I often have done the same at home, but the pukkas from sainsburys on the packaging say NEVER heat the pie in a michaelwave,
any Ideas, why? anyone...........

SueCar

SueCar Report 17 Nov 2013 19:10

Oddly enough PSD I did not log in yesterday but DID go to Morrisons and while we were in there we bought a cake & stiddley (like LS's brother) from their pie counter. We ate it cold as a snack because we had missed lunch and it was very good. Would have been better hot but too hungry to wait. ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Nov 2013 20:37

Answer to your Microwave question. I asked my local chippy and they said they are not ordinary microwaves he uses they are the oven and Grill type ones.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 17 Nov 2013 20:42

do you have an iceland, they have some

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Nov 2013 07:06

Suecar, glad you have found them in Morrisons, now you know where to go again, you could have bought two more pies and kept them in the fridge, they last for several days or you can freeze them!

If I freeze any, I defrost them upside down in microwave without the foil containers and then pop the container back on, and tip them onto a baking tray for about 20 mins in the oven.

Lizx

SueCar

SueCar Report 18 Nov 2013 13:52

More interesting replies. Thx folks x