General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gay Marriage. (Question)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frederick

Frederick Report 29 Mar 2014 23:00

Question.

If Miss Jones and Miss Smith get married what do they call themselves.?

Mrs and Mrs Jones or Mrs and Mrs Smith.

F. :-S :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Mar 2014 23:29

Good question. Thought it sounded so strange when on tv, The registrar said" i now pronounce you husband and husband!"
Guess one isn't really aloud to comment or give views about it otherwise one is accused of all sorts!
Florence
in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Mar 2014 23:40

I think the accepted, at the moment anyway, is for both men to be called "husband", and for both women to be called "wife"

Otherwise, it could be considered derogatory to one or the other to use the terms "husband and wife"

As for which name is used ...................... surely it is exactly the same as is now considered the norm for heterosexual couples ......................

a mutual decision by the individual couple.

Though I do notice that many, if not most, continue to use their own names, even though married .................... just as many heterosexual couples keep their own names

that is my personal experience, as well as what I read in the the media.

Do be careful Frederick though,

............... you may be curious, but you do not want to be considered derogatory or -phobic.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 29 Mar 2014 23:46

As Sylvia has said , most will chose which name to use or join the two, they will be either Mrs or Ms and men will be Mr as always.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Mar 2014 00:45

Sandi Toksvig had a civil ceremony 7 years ago with Debbie - they are now Sandi and Debbie Toksvig. No 'mister' or 'missus' involved.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/incredibly-touching-moments-from-when-sandi-and-debbie-to

It's a personal thing.

I divorced my husband over 20 years ago, but still have his surname, even though both our children have married and changed surname, (though one flits between married and maiden name) and my own (maiden) surname would have more 'cudos', being quite unusual.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Mar 2014 09:07

My cousins girlfriend took her name and they are not Mrs and Mrs just first names, they have a son and he says he is lucky cos he has two Mums and he knows who his dad is.
When he buys Mother's Day cards he always buys tow the same.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2014 11:39

Many couples (irrespective of sex) will double barrel their names.

So Miss Jones and Miss Smith, could become the Mrs. Smith-Jones or vice versa which is lovely.

I have some amazing friends who can now marry. Which I think is wonderful.

I and my Paul can now either marry or even have a civil partnership should we wish. The only thing as a co-habiting couple that we cannot do that all others who are in any type of marriage, it that we cannot register each others death as 'partner'. But we have all other angles covered with our wills.

But having married in 1978 and divorced since being with Paul I am of the once bitten twice shy variety. Have been with Paul for over 20 years now and feel more settled with him than I ever did with my ex-husband. We do not need a little bit of paper to make us a couple.

Good luck to all same-sex couples who wish to marry. :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Mar 2014 12:33

My daughter was at a Hen Party last night.
The girl is getting married to her long-term (female) partner next Saturday.

As my daughter is also going to the wedding, I be able to tell you next week what the couple plan to call themselves afterwards.

Island

Island Report 30 Mar 2014 13:28

There's no legal obligation for anyone to change their name when marrying.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Mar 2014 13:56

Indeed there isn't island, in my family one changed his name to his 2nd wife's first married name so that any children they have they will all have the same surname.
Another changed his name to that of his bride and yet another changed her name on marriage but was known by her maiden name :-(
Confused??? I'm not anymore.

Merlin

Merlin Report 30 Mar 2014 14:03

They could of course name themselves after the TV Programme "Alias Smith and Jones" :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2014 14:08

I worked with a lad who married an only child and they took her surname so that her surname would not die out within their branch of the family.

She also did not like his family name and did not want to take it as her own.

Which I think from memory was Pratt.

And no I am not joking.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Mar 2014 19:01

A.Smith and Wesson has a kinda ring to it! ;-)

as does Dott and Carrie One

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Apr 2014 08:38

my daughter attended a lesbian wedding at the weekend...... neither women are changing their name.
They did think about double barrelling, but decided against it.

Graham

Graham Report 8 Apr 2014 10:23

If your called Mrs Smith most people would assume you are married to Mr Smith. If Miss Jones married Miss Smith and both decided to use the name Smith that could make them both Mrs Smith. This could lead to some confusion. Perhaps an alternative title might be in order. Or would lesbians feel offended by that?

Island

Island Report 8 Apr 2014 11:06

It's bad enough that women are still labelled as 'married' or 'single' by the out of date use of Mrs and Miss without singling out some as 'lesbian' by giving them another title.

Mr for men and Ms for women, regardless of relationship status.

Why is this thread predominately discussing women anyway? What about Married gay male titles?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Apr 2014 11:12

I hated being labelled Mrs. when I married and turned to the awful Ms. that way no-one knew whether or not I was married.

And if anyone on the phone or in meetings referred to me as either Mrs. or Miss I would correct them and tell them it was Ms. and eventually people got the message.

I do not like wearing rings of any kind, so after about 6 months my lovely and expensive wedding ring went in my jewellery box and is still there 36 years later. So not wearing a ring in some ways helped.

Island

Island Report 8 Apr 2014 11:36

I'm not keen on Ms either, DazedC. As men cease to by 'master' by the time they are all of, say, 10 years old why isn't the same curtesy afforded to women?

I wouldn't dream of asking what titles a male married couple might use.

Island

Island Report 8 Apr 2014 11:37

Graham, if someone is called 'Mr Smith', what would you assume?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Apr 2014 12:01

We asked our dil-to-be what name would she use

- maiden name
- double barrel it
- our son's surname.

Even though our son has offered to take her maiden name, she seems to want to be known as Mrs (son's surname) !!!

(and to think that we [mentally] burned our bras for the next generation)