General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rollo's Rellies

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Dec 2015 11:29

Well here I am sliced and diced and grounded v dodgy new year coming up . My ancient mother had a fall and is in A&E where they are looking after her very well. Our internet connection went down in sympathy but after a lot of argy bargy with VM it is back. Anyway 'nuff of all that.

Just a hundred years ago 30 Dec 2015 one of my granny's brothers was one of the crew of HMS Natal. The ship was stationed in Scotland and it was decided to give a Christmas party for the local schoolchildren ....

http://goo.gl/1j3hI4

I still have his HMS Natal ship medal.
https://goo.gl/zaYxco
My granny wore it around her neck to her dying day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PER8f7bQIlg

happy new year to one and all
:-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 31 Dec 2015 11:32

A Happy and healthy New Year to you and your
lady Rollo :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 11:46

Happy New Year Rollo, and thinking of you, Mme Rollo and the Aged Parent.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 31 Dec 2015 11:52

Wishing you all a Happy New Year Rollo, get well soon.

:-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Dec 2015 11:54

happy new year to you Rollo and your lovely wife - hope your Mum is soon fit and well again

now remember not to overdo things - listen to your OH and to what the hospital told you :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Dec 2015 12:04

In France as in Scotland the New Year is celebrated with quite a lot more energy than Christmas itself. The lady Rollo ( whose auntie was married to a French admiral ) is busy preparing the usual feast which hopefully will cheer me up. The medics said nothing about Krug, Sauternes, oysters and goose mousse being a bad influence so here's hoping.

While I was encarcerated in the hospital I was asked to answer a whole raft of quick fire questions mostly to do with up down left right and the wrong trousers ... for some reason my spoken English just went, deflated and punctured, which did nothing for my score until they scouted around and luckily found somebody with (bad) French. So now we know, not being able to speak English is considered to be a medical condition. V good job they didn't get the French epithets translated too I guess.

Some time after the v stressful tests my English came back :-)

;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 12:13

How strange, but we do hear of similar things happening. It must have been very frightening for you at the time which would have added to the stress.

Good to hear that your first language has now returned. Enjoy your festive repast, but don’t over indulge! ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2015 12:24

I wish you and your mother a very speedy return to health Rollo, and best wishes to all your family for 2016.

Interesting links...I will leave listening to Auld Lang Syne till later, it always reduces me to a blubbering wreck lol.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Dec 2015 12:46

English is not my first language!

My aged parent will be discharged this afternoon :-) so as I am not allowed to drive I will soone be a member of the taxi driver benevolent society :-(

I am going to run a deficit in January maybe a prosperous February ?

To the tune of A.L.S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUxdYwnLuA
arms together everybody :-)

"Faut-il nous quitter sans espoir
Sans espoir de retour
Faut-il nous quitter sans espoir
De nous revoir un jour ?

Must it leave us without hope
Without hope of return
Must it leave us without hope
Of seeing each other again one day?

Refrain*

Refrain

Les vieux amis du temps passé,
Se sont-ils oubliés ?
Alors que nos coeurs ont gardé
L'amour du temps passé ?

Old friends from long ago
Are they forgotten?
While our hearts have kept
Love from long ago?

Refrain

Refrain

Formons de nos mains qui s'enlacent,
Au déclin de ce jour,
Formons de nos mains qui s'enlacent,
Une chaîne d'amour.

Let's make from our clasped hands
At the end of this day
Let's make from our clasped hands
A chain of love.

Refrain

Refrain

Amis, unis par cette chaîne,
Autour du même feu ;
Amis, unis par cette chaîne
Ne faisons point d'adieux.

Friends, linked by this chain,
Around the same fire;
Friends, linked by this chain
Let's not say farewell.

Refrain

Refrain

Car l'idéal qui nous rassemble
Vivra dans l'avenir,
Car l'idéal qui nous rassemble
Saura nous réunir.
"

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 Dec 2015 15:32

Happy New Year Rollo, Hope the ancient improves and you take it easy.

Oh and I hope 2015 wasn´t 100 years ago or I have been in a very long sleep :-D :-D

YG

YG Report 31 Dec 2015 15:35

Welcome home Rollo. I am pleased that you are able to celebrate the New Year with your family. There will be many temptations for you, but you need to be as good as you can be!! Lovely that your mother is also been released from hospital.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year and hoping that you will soon be fully recovered :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 31 Dec 2015 16:08

Glad you are back home and that your ma is being discharged.

I am also glad your knowledge of English is back. I don't think my schoolgirl French would be able to cope with your posts if they were in that language.

I think it's fascinating how our brains work - or don't work - when something like this happens. Many years ago I had a TIA thought to have been caused by a particularly severe migraine and I lost my memory of much of my past. Thankfully it came back apart from the 36 hours when I was most ill which is good as I don't know how bad or how frightened I was. Poor OH was very upset and worried apparently.

All this is really just to say that, however bad it seemed at the time, you will be back to normal quickly. So be a good boy, take your medication and do as Mrs Rollo says.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Dec 2015 16:58

Rollo, bonne chance mon ami :-D

I wish your mother good luck too.

Are you facing a month free of driving?

Do as you're told, but I fear you may be feeling fragile enough to do what your OH says with no argument at present.

From me to all of you, a very happy and content new year. :-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Dec 2015 17:18

Good to see you posting, Rollo.

kandj

kandj Report 31 Dec 2015 17:43

Happy and healthy New Year Rollo to you and Mme Rollo and all your family.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Dec 2015 20:31

Happy New Year Rollo, and to Mme Rollo, and the aged parent. xx

Please be careful, and take this little episode as a warning ................... moderation in all things, including stress levels :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2015 21:32

Glad you are on the mend Rollo. :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Dec 2015 22:30

Hope next year brings better health to you and you Mother, Rollo, and happiness to you all

Lizx

Annx

Annx Report 31 Dec 2015 22:50

I bet you are glad to be home. I can't imagine 'doing as you are told' will come easily, but they say these things are a warning to change what we do so take heed of your good lady! We have an 'ancient' too......FIL, who also had a TIA which was when he was aged 70. He's 95 in February and was pushing MIL in a wheelchair till he was aged 92. Then he couldn't any more and lo and behold, a miracle, suddenly she could walk again!!

Very best wishes to you all for a Happy 2016.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jan 2016 04:31

Good to see you posting Rollo, it must be wonderful to be home <3

Best wishes for a speedy recovery in 2016.