General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Broccolli

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2016 23:55

Asda are going to be selling broccolli leaves, and not before time as far as I am concerned

If you were growing it you would eat the leaves as well so why have they not been available before?

They say they will be saving on three thousand tons of waste per annum but they will be charging £1.99 a bag so they won;t be out of pocket will they?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Apr 2016 00:11

£1.99 for something they would previously have thrown away??????? :-P
60p and I'll buy it.

Don't Tesco's sell the leaves as 'greens'?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 00:24

Our local farm shop has been selling them loose for years :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Apr 2016 00:33

Ah, but Det, Farm shops sell food! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 01:05

True - and sometimes the farmer is unloading boxes off the tractor-trailer straight into the shop ;-)

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 4 Apr 2016 08:18

Well you live and learn lol. I didn't know people ate broccoli leaves :-0
In fact I don't remember eating or even being aware of broccoli when I was younger.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Apr 2016 08:57

I think, in times gone by, that the leaves were fed to cattle, then they improved the plant.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 4 Apr 2016 09:12

As I am a Broccoli addict I will definitely be buying them :-D :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2016 10:42

Most what is bought in shops as broccoli is infact Calabrese large headed and green, and you can eat the whole lot stalkes and all. as with red and yellow sprouting broccoli.which is lovely steamed leaves and all.much the same as spring greens.

beetroot leaves can be eaten same as Chard.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Apr 2016 10:52

That's what we call silverbeet, Kay.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2016 10:55

all of a cauli can be eaten florets ,leaves and stalks,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 11:16

Beetroot leaves are lovely - we've only had them once, back in the late 70's. Never seen them to buy in the shops. Might they be sold as packaged salad leaves?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Apr 2016 11:18

(chard) Silverbeet in Oz, Det. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 11:20

I'll ask at the farm shop, but as they don't grow beetsroots (the purple things not Sugar beets) its unlikely they'd have them.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2016 11:42

grow your own.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 11:51

Not enough room, north facing garden + we are surrounded by tree and their roots.
Himself made a couple of raised bed/boxes last year - they'll have tomatoes, Swiss Chard and an attempt at salad leaves.
Runner beans have to be planted in pots and trained up against a fence.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 4 Apr 2016 11:55

Brussel tops, my favourite green.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Apr 2016 19:44

+++DetEcTive+++

Quite often I've seen fresh beetroot sold in bunches in summer months, even on veg, stalls within an indoor shopping centre.

Provided it's fresh, it should be OK to use the leaves...In fact when I was buying some once, another customer asked if I was going to use the leaves. As I only really wanted the beet, I gave her the leaves from my veg. to make pickle.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 21:41

In that case, all I'd need is someone who'd want a bunch of roots :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Apr 2016 13:34

They are tuf and inedible, people do not need the same diet as a cow or rabbit and if they try it on there will be trouble ... in northern Germany vast amounts of cabbage and such are eaten, the locals seem not to notice the pungent result.

The broccoli florets though are delish and there are lots of ways to cook them