General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your feedback is needed please!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Estelle

Estelle Report 23 May 2016 09:54

Hi everyone,
I do hope you are all well.

I am doing some research into member to member messaging and would really appreciate your help.

Please could you let me know what you like and don’t like about the Genes contact centre?
Is there anything you would like to see as part of the messaging system?

Please post your replies below.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Estelle

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 23 May 2016 10:06

Hello Estelle

Something I think would be wonderful........

Would be to have the option to have your tree Private or Public

When you do a Search looking for connections on "All Members Trees" it would be good if when you click on "Find Out More".........it would tell you whether or not the tree is private or public.

That way, we wouldn't have to spend so much time messaging other members to see if they have a connection to your tree.......or sending message asking for access to view a tree.........You just click on the tree if it is public. Voila!!

I would also like to be able to post Emoticons on messages..........but that's just me being fussy!

Prickles.......... :-) :-D :-( :-0 :-| :-P :-\ ;-) :-S <3

Island

Island Report 23 May 2016 10:10

Good morning Estelle

I think 'private messaging' is the least of GRs problems to be honest.

Works fine for me except not being able to add an attachment to a replly.

Seeing people who don't reply to tree enquiries put in the stocks would be good...... ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2016 10:13

Estelle, are you a Genes' employee?

I'll second Island's last few words - get the tomatoes ready! ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 May 2016 10:24

also on Genealogy chat, where I have responded ;-)

Island

Island Report 23 May 2016 10:53

Joy, only genes employees can sticky a post so yes.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 May 2016 11:02

Hello Estelle,

Would love to have the +1 message removed as there is no message
there, been there for ages.

Also would like to change my avatar now and again, used to change
this with no problem ( jpg or other) now it's hopeless.

Also can you explain the different charges for renewing membership.

Also feel the site has been neglected/ignored.

Emma

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 May 2016 11:04

When sending a "cold" PM to another member relating to hotmatches etc, it would be more than helpful to know when the recipient was last active on GR.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2016 11:30

I agree with that suggestion too, Glasgow.

Barbra

Barbra Report 23 May 2016 11:42

Estelle .Hello .would just like to know about fees for staying with GR I only do month to Month as catching up with Family Tree but this will be expensive .how much please for 6months Thank You Barbra

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 May 2016 12:02

Lovely to see you posting and active Estelle.~~~

A *last active * when sending a contact message would be a good move,that way it at least gives the sender a hope or not they may get a reply.

If I saw--Last active----2010. I wouldnt feel my sent message had been ignored.
:-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 May 2016 12:35

Hi Estelle ~

I wish it was easier to find people in My Messages.... and to find their trees.

I've asked about this previously, but got no response.

When I make contact with a FEMALE member, the surname on the message is not always the same surname shown on her tree. Example..... Margaret Smith is married to Mr Jones........ I may find her on the listings as Margaret Smith, but when I look for her tree via my own tree (other trees), she could be Margaret Jones.. or vice versa..... I have to go through all the trees of Margarets that I am in contact with to find the correct one.

I agree with GlasgowLass, Joy & Kay........... a "last active" would be very useful... I'm sure many of us have sent messages off into cyberspace.

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 May 2016 13:17

Hi Estelle

It's peeing me off that the messages show 2 messages unread when I have none

I will ALWAYS answer any pms even if there is no connection

Also when trying to make contact with others on the search members trees it doesn't work cos some trees are no longer supported by the original member who has given up and not renewed their subs to genes

It would help to know when the last log in was made just like Ancestry which say last logged in

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 May 2016 13:32

It is absurd that people have to be paying members in order to post/send messages. RootsWeb for instance has no such condition.

The disorganisation of messages sent / received is impressive. Why on earth messages cannot be organised by cascaded thread showing boith sent/received I don't know.

Shared threads would be a very good thing esp for "Find Ancestors".

However when GR asks about a feature the usual reason is that it is about o be chopped off ( remember maps, printing ? ) . FMP does not have a message feature. So I am noit exaclty holding my breath that the feature will be improved. I guess somewhere there is a memo circulating on the pros and cons of replacing GR messaging with FB. After that just folding the product into FMP woujld be ezpz

have a nice day

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 May 2016 13:33

I would just like to be able to get "My threads"

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 May 2016 13:34

Ancestry-s last logged in isn't accurate as many people on there and on GR here! never log out

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 May 2016 13:38

If there was some way to sort the Find Ancestors and Find Living Relatives boards vy the surname of who is being sought it would vastly increase the chance of a hit.
As it is, unless you read the boards on virtually a daily basis there is no hope of finding anybody.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 May 2016 13:41

Separate point. We have a lot of speculation about mergers with FMP etc. It might be useful in some ways but DON'T lose anything in the message system which is one of GR's great virtues, the mutual help and advice of members who can put people on the right track.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 May 2016 14:19

struth - I'm gobsmacked - just tried "My threads" again and actually got them :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 May 2016 14:28

Lol Estelle, always a risky business posting asking for views on something. You got a whole lot of views on anything but :-D :-D

I too still have one message shoowing when I know I have answered all messages.

I would like to be able to add emoticons to messages, otherwise I don't really have a problem with them. I would not like to see them disappear though.