General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great Grandfather and Grand Hudson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 12 Jun 2016 10:28

Looking for help trying to find out more about my grandfather Alfred Hudson and great grandfather Hudson ( first name could be Edmond / Edmund/ George ) . I know my grandfather was a cabin boy in 1916 and believe his ship was sunk in 1916 of the coast of Turkey / North. Africa. His father was a general seamen / Baker and was lost at sea around 1916. If anyone has a family member that this sound like we have a connection I would love to hear from you.

regards Tony Sawyer

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 10:31

Tony

It's unlikely that anyone will come along and say we are connected

Try looking in members trees ,which is under the search heading above the boards , to see if anyone has the family in their tree. You can then send a message through the find out more box
:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 10:39

For info he doesn't show in the CWGC records

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 10:40

Only one that comes up

ARTHUR HUDSON

Rank:Leading StokerService No:312428Date of Death:15/10/1914Regiment/Service:Royal Navy H.M.S. "Hawke." Panel Reference: 4. Memorial:CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIALAdditional Information:Husband of Emily Frances Hudson, of 2, Washington St., Bromley-by-Bow, London.

Anthony

Anthony Report 12 Jun 2016 10:55

Thanks for your reply.
Should have been more specific (sorry). My great grandfather and grandfather were in the merchant navy, not the royal navy.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jun 2016 11:04

What was your great grandfather's wife called? Have you found them in the 1911 census as this would help with year of birth and area of the country?

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jun 2016 11:10

Alfred Hudson born 1897 Waterloo, Liverpool in Anthony's tree.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jun 2016 11:18

Waterloo should come under the West Derby registration district but I can't find a birth in that district in 1897.

Can you let us know if you have your grandfather's birth certificate?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2016 11:21

If Alfred the grandfather was born in 1897, wouldn't it be more likely that the Great Grandfather Hudson died at sea c 1916?

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jun 2016 11:27

Any chance this birth?

Births Dec 1898
Alfred Julian Hudson W. Derby 8b 514

or information wrong?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2016 11:27

Possible candidate?

HUDSON, EDWARD ETHELBERT

Date of Death: 25/05/1917
Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine
S.S. "Kohinur."
Grave Reference: G. 9.
Cemetery: PORT SAID WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

There are other Hudson's listed in the Mercantile Marine list on http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jun 2016 11:30

Alfred Julian Hudson is in a tree on Ancestry - father is a BAKER called Charles Harrison Hudson.

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jun 2016 11:43

Think this is Alfred's marriage - so Alfred E?

Marriages Dec 1934
Hudson Alfred E Marshall B.Stortford 3a 2249
Marshall Dorothy P W Hudson B.Stortford 3a 2249

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2016 11:51

Think Anthony needs to give us more confirmed info!

1911 for Alfred Julian Hudson

Alfred Julian Hudson
Age in 1911: 12
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Seaforth, Lancashire
Civil Parish: Northfleet
County/Island: Kent
Street address: 37 Beresford Road, Northfleet, Rosherville, Kent
Registration district: Strood
Registration District Number: 45
Sub-registration district: Northfleet

Charles Harrison Hudson 45 - Foreman Baker, Bradford, Yorkshire
Harriet Elizabeth Hudson 44 - Kensal Green, Middlesex
George Charles Hudson 15 - West Kirby, Cheshire
William Henry Hudson 14 - West Kirby, Cheshire (bap Seaforth)
Alfred Julian Hudson 12 - (bap Seaforth)
Harriet Rosina Hudson 8 - Egremont, Cheshire
Harold Godfrey Hudson 5 - Rosherville, Kent

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 16:29

Some info would help other than his name . His birth year and area would help

Anthony

Anthony Report 13 Jun 2016 17:51

First of all I would like to thank you all for trying to help. When it comes to my grandfather we just don't have too much to go on. His family we never knew. Even my gran did know anything about his past or his family.
On his wedding certificate it states that he was 29 years old when he got married om December 8th 1934. That would mean he was born in 1904 (as his birthday was always celebrated on December 30th.
My grandfathers names on the wedding certificate are Alfred Edmund Hudson.
His fathers names George Alfred Hudson (deceased) profession baker.

However, I've got handwritten notes from my grandfather in which he writes that he is a 19 year old cabin boy when the ship he sailed on(Manitor/Monitor can't read it very well) got torpedoed during WWI. Even if the ship got torpedoed in 1918, that would make him older then the wedding certificate says.
My grandfather was fluent in Arabic and we are let to believe he lived in Egypt for a while.
His mother was a foreigner (possibly from Italy or Egypt but we can't be sure on that).
In the note he writes she supposedly returned to Hull in 1922

According to the handwritten notes my great grandfather served on the Arabia which was sunk on November 8th 1916 and he went missing.

My grandfather returned in 1928 and looked for his mother but never found her This once again according to the written notes)

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jun 2016 21:53

When and where did Alfred Edmund die (just so we can rule out some of the other ones)?
Kings Lynn? Hatfield? Norfolk? Bromley?

Thanks

Added:
this one:
Alfred Edmund Hudson
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1905
Date of Registration: Apr 1984
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Hatfield Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 10 Page: 247

and birth year 1905 on 1939 census

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jun 2016 22:05

Have you looked on here?

http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/#home

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2016 05:50

RMS Arabia was a passenger liner that was torpedoed on route from Sydney to London. According to records only two crew members were killed everyone else evacuated the vessel safely

On the 6th November, 1916, the British passenger steamship RMS ARABIA was torpedoed by German submarine UB-43 in the Mediterranean without warning. ARABIA had 437 passengers on board, of whom many were women and children, and a crew of 304. ARABIA was carrying general cargo, gold and jewels.

The torpedo struck ARABIA in the engine-room at 11.22 a.m., the explosion killing 2 men. The engines stopped at once, and the wireless was rendered useless. There was no confusion on board, the last boat leaving the ship at 11.37 a.m., and the only casualties were those caused by the explosion.

The following message, addressed to Wolff's Telegraph Bureau, Berlin, from a German in New York, was afterwards intercepted by the Admiralty :

"In Washington deep impression was made by German Admiralty's announcement that German submarine sunk ARABIA . There was even surprise expressed that attack on ARABIA was semi-officially admitted. Admiralty's explanation is considered as incomprehensible because ARABIA, according to information received here, was an ordinary passenger liner with many passengers on board, not carrying troops nor being under British Government charter."

Only the splendid efficiency of officers and crew and the coolness of the passengers on board the ARABIA prevented a terrible tragedy. To abandon ship successfully in fifteen minutes was a fine feat which averted a big disaster.

The Germans who torpedoed passenger ship ARABIA without warning cannot, however, be allowed any credit for the small loss of life. It is quite obvious that they did not care whether the women and children perished or not.
ref. used:
[1] Ajax, The German Pirate: His Methods and Record
[2] Internet Archive, archive.org
Allen Tony 29/09/2010
Arabia SS was a British passenger/cargo vessel of 7,903grt owned by Peninsular & Orient Line. On the 6th November 1916 when 112 miles WxS of Cape Matalan and on route from Sydney for London with passenger and cargo she was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB-43 (Hans von
The P. & O. liner Arabia SS, under command of Capt. Palmer, left Sydney for England on September 30th, 1916, calling at various ports en route.

At about noon on November 6th she was in the Mediterranean, 112 miles W. by S. of Cape Matapan, with 723 persons on board when she was torpedoed by the German submarine UB-43.

The Arabia SS sank in 20 minutes but so good was the discipline on board that 721 persons were transferred to the boats and got away in safety.

The only loss was that of two members of the crew who were killed by the explosion. The Arabia was carrying a very large amount of mail from Australia, all of which was lost.
ref. used:
[1] uboat.net

Anthony

Anthony Report 15 Jun 2016 17:37

Marriages Dec 1934
Hudson Alfred E Marshall B.Stortford 3a 2249
Marshall Dorothy P W Hudson B.Stortford 3a 2249

Yes, these are the detail of his marriage.

Added:
this one:
Alfred Edmund Hudson
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1905
Date of Registration: Apr 1984
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Hatfield Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 10 Page: 247

and birth year 1905 on 1939 census

This is also correct about his death
Although I have a hand written note from him that would make him old