General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cost of Dental Treatment for Dogs.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 25 Feb 2017 12:18

Our Cavalier is in need of some dental treatment, vet says clean/polish and possible extraction.
My question is what roughly would be the cost of a dental, the price we were quoted we thought was a bit high (but we may be a bit out of touch with costs).
Many thanks for any replies.

ShelleyRose. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Feb 2017 12:41

I got snr cat's teeth a scrub n clean no other dental probs... £ 50.
Good value as it fixed his maloderous breath. Vet told me charge for usual size dogs the same.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 25 Feb 2017 13:36

Gosh RolloTheRed that really cheap, brilliant for you (and cat) our 16 yr old moggie got her teeth sorted - most of them out a couple of yrs ago it cost me over £200.but worth it, she still eats dry (and wet) food and catches mice.

The reason for asking about the dog is the cost seems excessive to me (over £400) so think I'll have to shop around for a different vets.
Thanks for replying.

ann

ann Report 25 Feb 2017 15:18

i was quoted at one vet that my yorkie had to have 8 teeth out at a cost of £650. Was not happy a she had no trouble eating. Took her to another vet that said her teeth needed cleaning and descaling. Could not give me a price until she had had them cleaned then they could see if she needed any teeth out but would not be over £400. Went to pick her up and she did not need any teeth out and the bill was £236. What a difference

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 25 Feb 2017 18:19

Thanks Ann for your reply, it seems vets can charge whatever they want, I really think there should be a set amount for basic treatment (cleaning/descaling) and a bit more for extractions.

I'm certainly going to ask around other vets for prices (I don't have pet insurance). Even my cat having teeth out a few yrs ago only cost just over £200.

Thanks again for replying.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Feb 2017 21:13

OH says it should have been £120 but we got discount on accout of still being numb with losing our rescue cat after an expensive battle which he won only to be poisoned. Still a lot less than yr quote

Our vet does the work with just a local anesthetic which is much safer for the cat/dog if not the vet. A gen. Aneth. Would seriously stick up the cost.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Feb 2017 09:57

Last year our old lady of 14 had 6 teeth extracted and de scale and clean under general anesthetic which set us back £260 but she is worth every penny and her vet bills were tiny before that :-D.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2017 11:42

I once had two red Persian half breed cats one of which had 6 extra parliamentary kittens. I had a long q for the kittens but kept the fat one. They have all passed on but made it to 18 at least with no illness at except a few stitches.

A lot of vets now work for national chains. A Horizon program on these a couple of years ago was not encouraging. PDSA is far too ready to put animals down. find an independent vet.

An old lady who lives nr my mother adopted an old Tom abandoned when his owner died. The Tom had lots of problems but she stuck with him helped by a sympathetic vet who charged buttons. Now she has a lovely senior citizen who enjoys sun bathing and the occasional hunt under a warm summer's moon.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 1 Mar 2017 12:24

La Gooner and RolloTheRed, thanks for your replies I was thinking the cost I'd been quoted was high (vet has a new x ray machine), I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion on this. ;-)

I was somewhat concerned when after dropping dog off at 8:30 we had a phone call half an hour later to say we could pick her up at 12:30, the reason being the pre-med hadn't agreed with her and she's stopped breathing, luckily they got her breathing again, (seems it's a common thing and vets are use to it)! there was no charge for her stay.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Mar 2017 23:33

My sister used to work in a private hospital.
They bought a new X-Ray machine - and the local vet bought the old one.

My sister had to take her Jack Russell to this vet for an X-Ray - and he charged more to X-Ray the dog than the hospital charged for a human!! :-|

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 3 Mar 2017 18:45

Had our cat done 2mths ago £289, just a clean, about 4mths before that another vet said £410 ? for same! Glad I didn't take the first quote, (Oh it was the same practice!)

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 25 Mar 2017 14:33

Thank you all for your replies and advice, a quick update, I phoned around to get quotes, and popped into a well known pet store who offered a dental for my dog for £99 plus any extractions, they took the time (in their lunch-hour) to take me around their surgery to show me where everything was done, including the recovery pens (where there were 4 dog in), it was all spotless, all the staff were v. friendly. needless to say I've booked my dog in for a free check up, prior to booking a dental.

The only akward moment came was when I got a phone call from my previous vets practice asking about transferring my dogs details to the new one (I've been with the old practice for over 24 years), and I had to explain the reason why the change!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2017 22:24

I hope you told him it was because of his excessive charges!! :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Mar 2017 22:59

Ive worked in a vets years ago
and Its a licence to print money

A 15 minute treatments costing you all a fortune :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Mar 2017 00:09

£350 to empty a cat's bladder, then sell me out of date 'bladder health food' :-S
The cat was so desperate, If I'd been there, they could have done it with a local anaesthetic.
I asked if this would be a recurring scenario 'Not if he eats this food'.

Six weeks later, the same scenario. 'Is this situation permanent'?
This time it is. Bustard.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 26 Mar 2017 18:20

maggiewinchester, I've not spoken to the vet yet, but did tell the receptionist the reason for the change was because of his excessive charges, (not sure what she told the vet). We still have our cat registered with them, last bill for the cat was £82 a booster and vitamin pills!
So sorry to hear about your cat, that's awful, and a lot of money to have to keep finding.

JoyBoroAngel, you're so right, it's £35 just to walk through the door, after that ???

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2017 23:43

I'm afraid Mister went to his maker.
Apart from the cost, he was in such pain, and, as it wasn't going to be cured, no matter how much I spent on bladder emptying and 'special' food I'm afraid there was no alternative.
I couldn't face him coming up to me and yowling in agony when the pain got too much. There was nothing I could do, but take him to the vet.
If rubbing his tummy stopped the pain, it would have been a different matter. It may have comforted him, but the pain was still there.
In between his bladder crystals, the poor thing was also getting cystitis, so his quality of (painless) life was non-existent.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2017 09:36

Poor thing .but there comes a time when the awful decision is the best one for them

He is out of pain now .

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 30 Mar 2017 14:26

Aw maggiewinchester I'm so sorry to hear of Mister, I use to help out at a cat charity and one of the cats there, Mungo Jerry, suffered with bladder problems and cystitis - nothing worse than seeing a cat in so much pain, he was on treatment for ages, before the inevitable trip to the vets.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Mar 2017 23:44

My thought too - inevitable - so best he didn't suffer.

It caused a bit of a shock to George - he'd always been a natural born (and skinny) 'wuss', but has now had to become the pack leader - of poor Betty :-0

Strangely, he appears to be succeeding - he's had a couple of fights, mainly with next doors cats, who tried to do a 'take over' by pooing ON the grass (after these fights, George retreats into the airing cupboard to recover), but he has actually put on weight.
When George and one of next doors cats were having a particularly nasty fight, I saw them, went out and made horrible noises (I wasn't going to manhandle either of them, they've got sharp claws) - George isn't phased by my making loud aggressive noises - he's used to it - , but the antagonist was terrified!!

Since then, we've established that, if I open the door marauding cats think I may go into the garden, carrying water (my cats don't mind being sloshed with water) so I make a lot of noise and hiss & growl - next doors cats disappear fast! :-D :-D

...so do the milkman, postman, and any innocent passer by.... :-S

The above sounds like I've deliberately shouted at my cats and thrown water at them so much they regard it as 'normal'.
This isn't so.
They like rain, (have their own towels - love being dried off) and they're used to my ranting at politicians on the TV!! :-D :-D