General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whats all this global warming?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 26 Apr 2017 21:38

it's slow on here nowadays:)

So here we go. Climate change is a fact. The causes are still being debated but the scientific consensus is that it is being hastened by carbon emissions. There could be a runaway greenhouse effect in the not too distant future, although it's more likely to be a more gradual process. In only a few generations time there will be lots more flooding, extreme weather events and equatorial drought unless we do something about it. This will mean a shift in population densities towards temperate zones like Europe, with consequent political strife. I'm pleased I wont be here to see the mess.

So who is doing their bit to cut down on carbon emissions?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Apr 2017 22:07

Amazingly most of all the USA!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Apr 2017 06:57

Seems I,m not :-(

We bought a diesel car in 2009 for all the right reasons then and I still drive it.

It still only has 20000 miles on the clock so I,m not changing it

Even I part exchanged it someone would buy it secondhand so it would still be on the road

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Apr 2017 07:33

Its slow on here most days Eldrick..........very different from when you and I had our little 'discussions' :-D Those were the days :-D

Sadly, some of the regulars have died and others have gone elsewhere. Quite a few now communicate via FB, myself included.

As for global warming - a concerning future for our grandchildren I fear. Carbon emissions? I live on a main and very busy road. This probably accounts for my addled and fogged up brain :-D

Hope you are well. Cx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Apr 2017 07:34

Maybe not there is likely to be a scrappage scheme. In any case diesel is OK for c02 which is why it was promoted. The problem lies with particulate emissions.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 27 Apr 2017 09:16

Got to disagree about it being OK. No Hydrocarbon combustion is OK for CO2 - the carbon has to go somewhere. And that's into the atmosphere, whether it be diesel, petrol, coal, gas or whatever. Particulate emission is a problem, but not for climate change.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Apr 2017 10:28

For hundreds of millions of years the main source of co2 has been animals breathing out. Maybe you have some answers to that as homo stupidus is the leading actor.

Another interesting problem is frozen methane hydrate in deep waters. With the current irreversible ( in our lifetimes) global warming sudden release of this methane would be bad news. The oil companies see Arctic hydrates as an opportunity. Frozen ice volcanos ( pingos) are already releasing methane. However cows are a sig methane source which India is unlikely to resolve.

Tuf times.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Apr 2017 11:23

Disused landfill sites are, in some instances, being tapped for the methane they produce. It's a pity we can't harness the same from mammals.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 27 Apr 2017 11:54

Nice to see you posting again Eldrick might make looking in worth while.

As for global warming all I can say is it´s been a long, cold, wet winter here. and they call it warming ?

Granny´s saying "you reap what you sow" comes to mind :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2017 12:03

I wonder how long traffic (motorised) can go on increasing? As we live longer and therefore drive for longer and the young seem to be able to afford cars at an early age surely we have to reach a point when something has to be done about the number of vehicles on the road.

Solutions anyone?
Increase rail use? electric cars made more popular somehow? Limit the days 'your' car can be driven a month?

It has already been reported how motorists are taking in pollution when stuck in traffic jams (well we knew that didn't we?) We travel up the M6 and there are very very few parts of it where we are not practically nose to tail. Likewise the M5 and I suspect all other motorways.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 27 Apr 2017 12:07

Bring back the horse & cart for short journeys ...she says tongue in cheek :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Apr 2017 12:22

The proportion of the under 25s with cars has dropped as the insurance companies tighten up and landlords take half their income. The ensuing misery can be seen at railway stations on Sunday evemings.

The auto industry is totally committed to going electric. The interesting matter will we go with car owership as now or a biggish chunk going with robot taxis a la Uber?

By far the worst current polluter is fuel oil for shipping. Norway is converting short sea ferries to electric power. Most are facing a hobsons choice between fittin v expensive scrubbers or much more expensive cleaner refined product. Marine freight rated will soar making a nonsense of Bojo's global Britain strategy.

The Tories are going with gas/nuclear blocking renewables which dont fit in with their platform.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Apr 2017 12:43

But why not more horse drawn transport?

Horses need to do more than graze all day, which is what many do for five days a week and horses and oxen did a pretty good job of it for many centuries.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2017 12:47

Did you see recently the farmer who has never used conventional modern farm transport (tractors etc) but has always used shire horses for everything around the farm? Such beautiful animals.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Apr 2017 13:12

I remember the programme about Geoffrey Morton many moons ago.

That bloke off the tele who is married to Libby Purvis farms with Suffolk punches doesn't he?

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Apr 2017 13:15

The obvious problem being levels of productivity would drop...though a team of horses are much nicer to watch than a tractor.

As for cars most will not give up their own cars unless they really have to, public transit being so awful. If that gets sorted and cars become "cleaner" then there would be some improvements.

The main problems with global warming have to be countries that don't give a damn with pollution their factories throwing out goodness knows what every day.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Apr 2017 13:52

We have a young lady in a nearby village who uses a pony and trap on a daily basis. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Apr 2017 14:21

It may not be so obvious that productivity would drop.

I am not saying that horses should be used exclusively but there are a lot of local services that could be delivered by other means than motorized transport. There are other ways to organize distribution e.g artic to depot pony cart to customer.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Apr 2017 14:43

There is a reason why the guys n gals in street photos around 1900 all wore boots. Any large scale return to horses is not on.

There are four large countries responsible for pollution + the EU. The USA, The EU and China are Greening at quite a rate having seen Marley's ghost of things to come
California for instance is also finding it good business. As Caroline says Russia and India dont give a damn. yet.

CA is building a high speed electric train San Francisco / Sunnyvale to L.A. & San Diego rather than yet more motorways.

My guess is that global warming will stabilise before 2200 but a a higher av temp than today. Oil / gas as an energy feed will be largely redundant which will make the future for some states v murky. The income from exporting solar power for others will change a lot too. There will be new sea routes but the polar bears will adapt. The biggest challenges world wide for wild life are pollution and humans destroying the food chain by taking all the fish.

If the Gulf Stream continues to weaken and the peturbations in the N Atlantic jet stream remain large then ironically NW Europe will be wet, cold and windy.

Kense

Kense Report 27 Apr 2017 15:02

The problem with using horses is that compared with tractors they are not very productive and also they require a lot of manpower.

There are conflicting calculations about CO2 and methane production by horses, this article gives a green view.

https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/ask-pablo-should-we-go-back-to-using-horses-instead-of-tractors.html