General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Lost Family Special

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 13 Aug 2023 14:56

LLFS (False Identity) on Monday ITV 9pm.

Just noticed whilst looking through the TV guide :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 13 Aug 2023 15:49

Thanks for that Ann :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Aug 2023 15:54

Thank you Ann.

I read an article about the false documentation.

......and they thought nobody would ever know :-0

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Aug 2023 15:55

Thank you Ann, looking forward to that.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 13 Aug 2023 19:55

You are welcome…just got to remember to tune in meself now :-D ;-)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Aug 2023 16:58

Just a nudge for tonight :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Aug 2023 22:33

Wow! Very interesting watching but how awful for those involved. An absolute disgrace that what went on continued even though it was illegal.

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Aug 2023 22:43

In my naivety or stupidity, I fail to understand how the couples knew it was wrong/illegal to have sex before marriage and why the female didn't say who the Father is.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Aug 2023 09:02

ZZzz. I think Florence was talking about the falsification of birth certificates, illegal from 1874.

What a fascinating programme, I knew about the horrors of the Magdalen Laundries and the orphanages but this was new. How lucky those two were to be able to use the dna testing.

I think there is a new series coming to TV about the Magdalen Laundries

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 15 Aug 2023 09:37

I havnt posted for a long time as family history was the last thing on my mind since I lost my husban 6 months ago and we are in the middle of an enquiry into medical negligence but last night’s program was one very close to my heart as I’m searching for a brother that my mother had before she married and I was born, I know that this was about what happened in Ireland but I’ve been told that the Catholic Church in the uk changed the mothers name to hide the birth, I have done my dna and also his fathers daughter has done hers but we have no matches, his name was John with a surname Williams it’s definitely needle and haystack, we have bought about 20 certificates up to now, oh if I could win the lottery I would buy every John Williams certificate to try and find him

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Aug 2023 09:58

Fingers crossed for you.

Have you got the dna results on several sites. If you did an Ancestry test you can upload the results onto other sites.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 15 Aug 2023 10:25

Not the first time the Catholic Church has apologised for the hurt and harm they inflicted on their own people
:-| :-|

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Aug 2023 18:25

I am a baptised Catholic and very ashamed of all the hurt and anguish the church has caused. <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 15 Aug 2023 19:37

<3 <3 LG

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Aug 2023 18:00

We only recently found out through DNA testing by a total stranger that my MiL had a brother that no-one in my OH family knew existed.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Aug 2023 18:33

Brian, Similar happened with me, My half Uncle wasn't told that the girl was in a photograph was his half sister, I told him when he was age 68.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Aug 2023 22:23

DNA has opened a lot of cans of worms, not always what folk want to hear.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Aug 2023 22:50

I am happy to say that I have discovered a lot of family through documents and not DNA, in fact I have no DNA connections.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Aug 2023 08:08

Miraculous :-D

Oh - you mean you haven’t got matches or you haven’t done a dna test ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Aug 2023 10:22

ZZzzzz you took a DNA but have no connections at all??? That's impossible?? :-S :-S