General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What my Dad would say.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Aug 2023 15:48

When things don't go to plan or like it has been today is.
It makes you want to throw the whole house up the chimney. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Aug 2023 16:14

That's a new one on me :-)

Island

Island Report 24 Aug 2023 20:43

My dad used to say that too Vera LOL

Whenever we found a creepy crawly or something a bit intriguing our dad would say 'don't let it out. it'll rule the world! :-D :-D

20 odd people with no dad or perhaps really boring ones. Silenced by she who must be obeyed? :-0

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 24 Aug 2023 21:44

Mine would say 'It's enough to put t*ts on a worm', where he got that from I don't know, the Army probably :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Aug 2023 22:01

When things go wrong my dad says, "well that's gone up the swanny." Don't know what a " swanny" is??

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Aug 2023 22:26

Florence61, I think it is a river, not a real one that I am aware of though.

Island

Island Report 24 Aug 2023 23:00

LOL @ Sheila :-D sounds a bit Yorkie to me :-0

There's a few origins for up the swanny according to google. I've always thought it meant river - same as 'up the creek without a paddle' (polite version ;-) )

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Aug 2023 04:24

There's an old American song, mainly sung I think by the Blacks in the South or maybe in minstrel shows, something about going up or down the Swanee River????

There is an actual Suwannee River in Florida, but I don't know whether that's the connection.

There was also another version "Swanee" sung by several singers including Bing Crosby!

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 25 Aug 2023 08:50

When I was trying to pull the wool over Dad's eyes, he always said
You must take me for a right pilgarlic.

When seeing an overdress man, he said they looked like a Pox-doctors clerk!

Rather than asking someone to close the door, it was always Put the wood in the Hole.

He also regularly said he would go the the Money Tree at the end of the garden.

I could never find it
:-D :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Aug 2023 12:42

My Dad also said "Put the wood in the hole" and if I came home a bit grubby he'd say "You're as black as Newgate's knocker"

Island

Island Report 25 Aug 2023 12:44

'Going to see a man about a dog'
That dog never did show up :-(

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 25 Aug 2023 17:59

Dad often said 'Put wood in hole' also 'You make a better door than a window' if you stood blocking his view of something'.

If you asked him where he was going he'd say ' there and back to see how far it is and if it's too far I won't go '

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2023 08:48

My dad would say “ well I,m of to the Karsy “ spelling Kharzi

Seems it was English slang for an outside loo which we did have !

We lived in a Victorian house in south east London

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2023 12:03

Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire !

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Aug 2023 13:42

Shirley, my Dad used to say that to me little knowing that I would move from North London to Bedfordshire , I do now go up the wooden hill here :-D :-D :-D :-D.
Daft as a brush and as much good as a chocolate fire guard were two more of his many sayings

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Aug 2023 15:11

LaGooner, my Dad would say chocolate tea pot. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Aug 2023 14:56

Something else my Dad would say is there's enough for 2 if 1 doesn't want any. Usually dinner.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Aug 2023 07:59

visiting the loo

Just going to water me 'orse,
or
going to turn the horse around

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Aug 2023 14:47

My Mother in Law would say, A blind man would love to see it. If anyone complained about the look of something.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Aug 2023 23:24

Dad would say "latch the door", meaning lock the front or back door.

If I couldn't make up my mind about anything ................ "Now, you're being a Mugwumps"

which apparently meant having your head on one side of the fence and your butt on the other ........... like many politicians!