Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doherty's 1940s-1950s Manchester

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amba

Amba Report 23 Aug 2015 17:07

Doherty (m. born about 1913, Irish?) Oakes (wife, Scottish?) and eight children born between 1941 and 1955 in Manchester area - names for children (living, I think?) are Brian, Sheelagh, Paul, Peter, Gretchen (could go by another name), Marie, Noeleen, and elder boy unknown - cannot find a record of fathers first name or marriage - he must be well passed by now - I can say he was a GP in the Manchester area however. Any connections at all to this branch of Doherty's much appreciated!!

Especially more information on the Doherty-Oakes marriage as its difficult to go any further back! Or forward, for that matter, as it is when relatives are living...
Kindest thanks,
Amba

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Aug 2015 17:37

You can check trees on here by going to search at top of page Amba,

The births of children are easily found on freebmd, as most have middle initials it should be fairly easy to look for any marriages for them, one of the birth certs will give you first names of parents.

If they married in Scotland you will need to look at Scotland' s People site.

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Aug 2015 17:58

There is a marriage on Scotlandspeople that would fit 1940 Glasgow- between Columb and Agnes

I believe this could be his death:
First name(s) COLUMB CHRISTOPHER B
Last name DOHERTY
Gender Male
Birth day 20
Birth month 6
Birth year 1913
Death quarter 1
Death year 1991
District MANCHESTER
Register number 291
County Lancashire
Volume 38
Page 1252
Country England

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Aug 2015 18:02

And his birth in Donegal:
Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
Name: Columb Christopher B Doherty
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1913
Registration district: Inishowen
Volume: 2
Page: 115
-----------------------------------------------

Civil Birth Record
Name: Columbo Christopher Bened Doherty
Date of Birth: 20-Jun-1913
Address: Clonmany
Parish/District: CLONMANY
Father: Daniel Doherty (Medical Practitioner)
Mother: Helen Mavis O Doherty
-------------------------------------------------------

A sibling:
Civil Birth Record:
Margarete Carmela Letitna Doherty
Date of Birth: 15-Feb-1915
Address: Clonmany
Parish/District: CLONMANY
Father: Daniel Doherty (Medical Practitioner)
Mother: Helen Marie O Doherty

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Aug 2015 18:21

Wondering if this is Columb's parents?:

Residents of a house 31.2 in Straid (Straid, Donegal)
Doherty Daniel 33 Male Head of Family RC Co Donegal Physician and Surgeon
Doherty Helen Marie 25 Female Wife Roman Catholic Scotland
Doherty Cecil O 2 Male Son Roman Catholic Scotland
Doherty Kathleen O Female Daughter Roman Catholic Scotland
Murray Teresa 18 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Galway

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Aug 2015 18:31

Name: Columb Christopher B Doherty
Birth Date: 20 Jun 1913
Date of Registration: Feb 1991
Age at Death: 77
Registration district: Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 38
Page: 1252

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Aug 2015 18:32

From phone directories

Name: Dr C.C.B Doherty
Address: 7 Teasdale Clo Chadderton 0
Exchange: 61-681
Directory Title: Manchester North East Jan
Publication Year: 1977
Directory County: Lancaster
Page Number: 135

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Aug 2015 18:33

I think 1901 census above is correct

Daniel Doherty and Helen Marie Doherty married in 1898 Hamilton, Lanarkshire.

Other children born Donegal are:

Noeleen Bernadette b1908
Quentin Leo b1907
Kevin b1906
---------------------------------------------

Helen's death?
Name: Helen Marie Doherty
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1930
Death Age: 53
Registration district: Inishowen
Volume: 2
Page: 45
FHL Film Number: 101738

Amba

Amba Report 24 Aug 2015 08:41

Wow, I was admittedly having trouble from the antipodes (NZ) that is for sure! I never thought to look for the marriage in Scotland. I did find the birth info however for the children, and have messages out to those on here regarding the tree links, there are only a couple however.

Thank you - I think I may get some progress with this added in. I had found the grandfather and grandmother in a different search but couldn't connect them except for a hint regarding the sisters name, so moved on.

I am genuinely impressed, and grateful, in just a day too!! You are both amazing. Thank you so much.

Amba

Amba Report 24 Aug 2015 11:28

One last query - how on earth do I get to that marriage information, the last few hours online have not yielded any access to the Scottlsh marriage registers, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Aug 2015 11:58

Amba, This is the site that Gritty referred to for the marriage

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2015 12:09

This is the family 1911 Census Donegal...

Residents of a house 13 in Clonmany Town (Straid, Donegal)

O'Doherty Daniel 44 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Donegal Physician and Surgeon Licenticate of Edinburgh Read and write - Married - - - -
O'Doherty Hellen Marie 35 Female Wife Roman Catholic Scotland - Read and write - Married - 13 8 4
O'Doherty Kathleen Monica Mary Broadway 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Donegal Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
O'Doherty Eileen Dorathea 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Donegal Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
O'Doherty Daniel Norbet Mcgettigan 6 Male Son Roman Catholic Donegal Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
O'Doherty Kevin 5 Male Son Roman Catholic Donegal Scholar Read - - - - - -
O'Doherty Quintin Leo 3 Male Son Roman Catholic Donegal Scholar Cannot Read - - - - - -
O'Doherty Noeleen Bernadette 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic

The details next to Helen Maries name indicates years married..13. Number.children born 8.
Number of children still living..4..should be 7 as there are 6 listed above and Cecil O.born Scotland is a student at St Eunans College Letterkeny.

Don't know where the names they chose came from ...!!!!

Amba

Amba Report 24 Aug 2015 13:10

Yes, Scotland people won't let me buy credits for some reason, its flicked the card three times and locked me out - I suppose because I am far away! Will try again tomorrow and see if it works. Have not yet found any verification that the Oakes mother listed for the next generation births is indeed the Agnes mentioned.

Have done some looking and it seems like there are verified though diverse listings for these strangely named kids! I have (thus far)
A. O'Doherty 1897
Cecil 1898
Kathleen 1900
Eileen 1901
Daniel 1904
Kevin 1905
Quentin 1907
Noeleen 1908

then a bit of a gap ? and two more with the O dropped from O'Doherty
Columb (elsewhere listed as Colm MD born 1909) 1913
Margarete 1915

Having said that a few of the names seem to have trickled down from the siblings to the next generations far as I can see - would indicate 8 for Helen is correct as at 1911 - I think.

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 Aug 2015 14:25

Agnes Oakes married Columb C B Doherty 1940 Maryhill, Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

Marriage certificate is not available on-line, but can be ordered from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 Aug 2015 15:08

All these births come up on Rootsireland.ie for children of Daniel and Helen

Doherty William James 1901 Co. Donegal dob: 1-Sep-1901
Doherty Eilleen Dorothea 1902 Co. Donegal
Doherty Daniel Norbert 1904 Co. Donegal
Doherty Kevin 1906 Co. Donegal
Doherty Quentin Leo 1907 Co. Donegal
Doherty Noeleen Bernadette 1908 Co. Donegal
Doherty Columbo Christopher Bened 1913 Co. Donegal
Doherty Margarete Carmela Letitna 1915 Co. Donegal

Amba

Amba Report 24 Aug 2015 15:42

I will try and order it - thank you! No idea why it wouldn't let me in. I presume it will list her parents, which would be nice to know. She is the invisible woman far as any more info is concerned, not even showing up in the deaths.

If all the children have come up listed together, matching what I have found, then it is surely the one family, this is good! Will update tree accordingly and see what else creates a hit. No Cecil on that list, or Kathleen, but I think he lived - she may not have.

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 Aug 2015 16:31

According to the 1901 census Kathleen and Cecil were born in Scotland- the results I put up were just those born in Donegal Ireland.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Aug 2015 17:11

If you look at what I posted Cecil O Doherty is listed on the 1911 Census as a student at Letterkenny St Eunans..so he certainly was alive 1911 as was Kathleen living with her parents.

Amba

Amba Report 24 Aug 2015 18:40

Right, of course. I shall transcribe this to a page where I can order it correctly, it is too easy to jump to assumptions in this game when the chains of logic are there. Apologies!

Amba

Amba Report 25 Aug 2015 04:24

So my next issue will be finding the living ones - ideas welcome! Odd names are helpful however:-) I think you are all amazing, by the way, you are very good at this family history thing! So thank you.