Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas john mckeown

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 1 Sep 2015 18:15

I am looking for Thomas John Mckeown born 1945 think he may have been born in Birmingham and possibly lived in coventry

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Sep 2015 18:21

Hi Sue, welcome to the boards.

There is no birth in B'ham 1945 for someone of this name.
Do you know his mother's maiden name?

You can search for births here:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Jan

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Sep 2015 19:17

Sue posted a little more on General before being advised to post on FLR .

"Sue Report 1 Sep 2015 18:23
I am looking for info on Thomas john mckeown we think he was born in 1945 maybe in Birmingham also believe that he lived in Coventry and was married to Valerie crouch in 1966. don't really know anything else about him but trying to trace his whereabouts."

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Sep 2015 19:51

In case it helps, his marriage was to Valerie P Crouch.

There is a Thomas J McKeown, birth reg 1Q 1945 in Birkenhead. (Source - Ancestry).
Its not showing on Freebmd.

Could we ask why you wish to contact him please? Is he 'presumed' relative? Would he know about you?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Sep 2015 19:55

Could you have got the year of birth wrong? There is a Birmingham 1941 birth for a person of the same name.

Start with what you know for a fact and work from there.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Sep 2015 10:00

PM from Sue

She is asking on behalf of Thomas and Valeries son.

Have advised to post on the thread, also to purchase their MC as details may help track other McKeown family.

Urls for ER
http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp
Cross reference post code & name to check how recent the address is on
http://www.192.com/?gkw=192+com

One thing Sue forgot to say, or I to ask, was when (approx) Thomas and Valerie ceased to be partners. This is so we can look for additional possible marriages for him.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Sep 2015 14:36

fat fingers Detective? :-)

the 1945 Birkenhead birth is at freebmd ... it's the mother's surname I'm having trouble with because it seems not to be a name ... Lyan (that is what the index image does say)

I wonder, Ryan

there was a McKeown-Ryan marriage in Birkenhead and two other births there, in 1935 and 1938

Sue if the Birkenhead birth is your Thomas, I wonder whether these are Thomas's sisters and whether his son has had contact with them or their families

however if the 1941 birth is your Thomas, those births are not connected

1941 would have made him a great deal older than Valerie, who married at quite a young age

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Sep 2015 14:45

it helps for us to know things like what you have already done to look for the people ...

someone here has Valerie Crouch in their tree (right place, one year out on the birth)

someone has Thomas McKeown 1945 Birmingham (the birth that doesn't exist)

Sue have you searched trees here and does your person know the people with those names in their trees, or have you tried to contact them?

for example

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/crouch/valerie?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1948&yearofbirthrange=1

and both of the possible sisters born in Birkenhead, Bridget and Moira, are in trees here

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/mckeown?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1936&yearofbirthrange=2&birthplace=birkenhead

one tree possibly belonging to the sister herself

malyon

malyon Report 2 Sep 2015 16:49

there is a birth for thomas in birkenhead mothers name lynn

no marriage for mckeown and lynn but could have married in ireland married there is a birth in coventry 1954

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Sep 2015 19:57

malyon do you ever read what other people have already said in a thread?

The birth in Birkenhead has been thoroughly discussed

the mother's name is NOT 'Lynn', it is shown in the index as Lyan.

as I have already pointed out

yes it could be a typo for Lynn as easily as for Ryan, but nonetheless the Birkenhead birth does NOT state mother's surname Lynn in the index

Sue

Sue Report 3 Sep 2015 21:26

I have managed to find out that Thomas John Frederick McKeon was a bricklayer and worked as a gravedigger. his father was William Mckeown and he was a tailor. He was married to Valerie P crouch but never divorced, he also had a brother Jimmy mckeown.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 22:09

you're welcome Sue

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 22:15

the marriage I referred to earlier

Marriages Dec 1934
McKeown >>William J -Ryan- Birkenhead 8a 1320
Ryan Bridget -McKeown- Birkenhead 8a 1320

if you search
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
for McKEOWN births with mother RYAN you will see the two births I referred to

if you read my posts above you will see that there are people at this website who have the two children in their trees

and also someone with Valerie Crouch in their tree

and I gave you handy links to those search results ...

however, there is no James McKeown birth with the same parents' surnames (people are not usually registered as 'Jimmy') so those may be coincidences

presumably you have the information you have just provided from a reliable source, such as the McKeown-Crouch marriage certificate?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 6 Sep 2015 22:23

family search does have a Thomas J Mckeown born 1945 in Birkenhead with Mother a Lynn

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Sep 2015 23:15

The familysearch record link:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV73-LR5Z

familysearch does not provide an image of the GRO index

Freebmd does and Ancestry does
I looked at that image before posting what it said

the GRO index says LYAN

I explained this clearly above.

There is a McKeown-Lynn birth in Coventry in the 1950s.
> NO marriage to match the surnames
It is possible that the McKeown-LYAN birth is a sibling of that child.

There are McKeown-Ryan births in Birkenhead in the 1930s.
> marriage 1934 Birkenhead for the surnames
It is equally possible that the McKeown-LYAN birth is a sibling of those children.

The LYNN possibility may be more likely because of the location of the second birth and what we have been told by Sue about the geography.

Nonetheless, the mother's name shown in the GRO index is not Lynn, it is LYAN.

Only the birth certificate will tell what the mother's surname really was.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Sep 2015 09:36

Nudge as Sue has started a new thread which it would be best to delete.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1354968

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 16 Sep 2015 15:36

Private message sent so full details could be given.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Sep 2015 17:48

autumnleaves can you tell us, full details of what?

(bmd info, contact info ... ?)

Sue -- you need to reply in this thread and not start more threads ...

Sue may have made the common mistake of thinking she would get replies by email, and never looking back at her thread to see replies and answer questions

hopefully once she gets autumnleaves' PM she will return

Sue

Sue Report 17 Sep 2015 17:53

Im finding it hard to work my way around this site but getting there slowly.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Sep 2015 18:40

autumnleaves had sent Sue info about a marriage in 1940 in Birmingham that matches the parents' surnames of the 1941 birth in Birmingham (I think these were referred to in the thread here)

there were two marriages in Birmingham in 1940 for men named McKeown who married women with the same surname

between them (no way to know which birth is to which couple) there are 10 births ... but none is a James and Thomas is the only one with middle initial J

but in any event ... perhaps 2 McKeown brothers married 2 sisters the same year ... they would seem to be almost certainly related one way or another

it could be worth trying to contact others of their combined 10 children (all the same age as or younger than Thomas) ... who are all either siblings ofThomas or possible first cousins

there is also a Mr McKeown marriage in Maidstone not long after, to a woman with the same surname again

Since all 3 women's given names begin with D, I rather suspect that this was a case of 3 brothers marrying 3 sisters!
-- edit -- but it seems I would be wrong, the 3 women in question seem to have been born in the places where they married, with three different mothers' surnames :-)