Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Subs for the 'A' site

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Sep 2013 17:10

This afternoon there has been a huge increase in subs. Premium is about £149 and WW about £200.

Lucky old me renewed a couple of weeks ago - next year............................

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 16 Sep 2013 18:12

thank goodness mine has just renewed then.
:-)

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 16 Sep 2013 18:20

Mine is due for renewal soon so just checked their subs and it's showing £155.40 for Worldwide and £107.40 for Premium. I think this is the same as last year.

Were you on the U.K. site or did you convert the rate from another site, e.g. Australia or Canada.

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Sep 2013 20:35

Totally misleading post - nameslessone really stuffed up.

Andrew

Andrew Report 16 Sep 2013 20:41

You get these rates if you pay monthly and multiply by 12.

Andy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Sep 2013 22:57

Do you mean Ancestry......and are you giving accurate information?

If not...suggest you retract

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 Sep 2013 23:44

This is copied and pasted from Ancestry's site. So which is correct? I don't know how to find the prices from my actual Ancestry home page.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe

Access all our UK records
Our Premium membership provides everything you need to trace your family history in the UK. Delve deep into your past with unlimited access to over 1 billion records, plus guaranteed access to all our new UK releases.

1 Month
£14.99

12 Months
£149.00
Save £30*

Access our entire archive
Our Worldwide membership provides everything you need to trace your family history around the world. Scour the globe with unlimited access to our entire library of more than 11 billion records, plus guaranteed access to all our new releases.
1 Month
£19.99

12 Months
£199.00
Save £40*

jax

jax Report 17 Sep 2013 00:25

I was the one who mentioned the price hike to namelessone on another thread.

I saw it as a monthly price and a 6 month price as £49...£79...£99

Whether it is correct or not, I do not know...but that is what it says when you click on subscribe when not signed in

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 17 Sep 2013 01:28

My above post, copied and pasted from

says exactly the same as namelessone said. If it correct i think she is owed an apology from mgnv for his above comment.

Wendy

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Sep 2013 07:46

Wendy says - If it [i.e., her post] is correct ...

Well, here's a situation neither of us foresaw - I checked her posted URL, and get:

Our Essentials membership provides everything you need to begin your journey into your family's past. Find your ancestors quickly in our key records, build your family tree, and start connecting with other members.
1 Month £10.95
12 Months £83.40 Save £48*
* The annual price saves you £48 compared to the monthly price over 12 months.

Our Premium membership provides everything you need to trace your family history in the UK. Delve deep into your past with unlimited access to over 1 billion records, plus guaranteed access to all our new UK releases.
1 Month £12.95
12 Months £107.40 Save £48*
* The annual price saves you £48 compared to the monthly price over 12 months.

Our Worldwide membership provides everything you need to trace your family history around the world. Scour the globe with unlimited access to our entire library of more than 11 billion records, plus guaranteed access to all our new releases.
1 Month £18.95
12 Months £155.40 Save £72*
* The annual price saves you £72 compared to the monthly price over 12 months.

Now, I'm not a subscriber (and I get the same prices whether signed in or not).
It would seem Ancestry has one price for new users, and a negative loyalty discount for renewals.

Now I wouldn't go as far as saying this situation deserved an apology, but I do think my post should have been amended to read:

Patially misleading post - nameslessone semi-stuffed up.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 17 Sep 2013 08:48

Hi mgnv

I must obviously be missing something. I clicked on your link and still get Premium £149 and Worldwide £199.

I am a subscriber to Worldwide, next sub due in March, and I am permanently signed in. How can we both look at the same link and get different prices?

I just thought your original comment was a bit harsh.

Wendy

***EDIT***

I just tried the link both signed in and not signed in and also via Google and still get the above prices.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Sep 2013 08:50

Sorry but I have been off the computer.

I renewed a couple of weeks ago at £107.
Having read Jax on the General thread (Family tree Info) I checked and got the same price, nowhere could I find the higher price quoted.
On checking again a short while later I got the higher prices - I also only got EITHER1/6 months OR 1 month/12month quotes.whenever I checked.
I was not signed in on any occasion. I entered the basic URL, clicked on subscribe AND Find out more near the bottom of the page - I also googled to see what came up. Google results also changed.
Before writing this post I checked again - only got the 6 month option at the higher price.

I am now out for the day so will not be able to reply to any comments.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2013 09:55

I've just looked at Ancestry, to which I do not currently subscribe

They offer Essentials membership for the UK at £99.00 p/a or £9.99 p/m

Premium for the UK at £149.00 p/a or £14.99 p/m

Worldwide at £199.00 p/a or £19.99 p/m

Confirms the original post.............

Perhaps renewal rates are discounted, as they are on FMP

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Sep 2013 10:40

My post confirming moonbeams rates seems to have been reported for some reason.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 17 Sep 2013 11:47

I suspect that subs are based on "what we think the market will bear", much the same as Ryanair. If its popular, charge more, if it's losing interest offer specials.

I just renewed my standard GR sub at just GBP 7.95 for the year. Smashing :-)

Kense

Kense Report 17 Sep 2013 12:04

Don't forget the advice in this thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1326914

Kense

Kense Report 17 Sep 2013 12:12

So has the Phantom Reporter struck again?

I'm surprised they didn't report the whole thread for mentioning Ancestry. :-S

Gai

Gai Report 17 Sep 2013 12:32

I've just checked the cost of the WW sub on this side of the world and wow it's gone up dramatically.

WW sub used to be $A449.00

now for new members it's $A299.88 for the first 12 months and for those renewing it's $A598.99.

No wonder so many of us have subs with the .co.uk site as our Australian site is way too expensive. Even I couldn't justify spending that amount on a sub to any site and money is no issue in our house. :-S

Inky1

Inky1 Report 17 Sep 2013 13:15

I have Platinum on here and WW on there. My renewal on there was £155.40 four months ago. I could not get to subscriptions whilst logged in, so logged out. And I then saw that WW is indeed showing at £199.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 17 Sep 2013 13:19

Just come in after being out all morning. I would just like to say that I didn't report mgnv's post but I did read it earlier and replied to it. To date I have never reported a post.

I can't find the lower prices anywhere, but to be honest, I'm past caring and will just pay up in March when my subs are due as I love research and Ancestry has the most info.

Wendy