Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 Somerset Census Look ups available

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 12:56

Not indexed or transcribed so please be specific as possible with regards to the location of the person you are looking for. Nikki

Steph

Steph Report 8 Mar 2005 16:52

Hi Nikki, I've just posted you a look up request on another thread, just before I noticed this one! Can you look up the above census please. The area would be Langport/Somerton.This is the info I have so far: 1841 census: (Somerton) James Talbot 26 Tailor Eliza Talbot 29 William Talbot 2 James Talbot 11 weeks. (I have his birth cert, born in Somerston, registered in Langport) 1851 census: West Street James Talbot 36 Farmer of 58 acres Eliza 38 Shopkeeper William 11 Elizabeth 8 Amelia 6 Ann 2 No mention of James jnr, but there is a James listed as aged 10 in Langport Workhouse. Can't be certain it is the same one, but its the only James Talbot of that age listed apparently. I know that in 1868 he was in Guernsey, but am searching for his whereabouts between 1851 and 1861 and why he was sent to the workhouse. Any info you have, I would be most grateful for, and appreciate you taking the time to provide this. Kind regards, Steph

Debby

Debby Report 8 Mar 2005 17:33

Nikki Could you look up Richard Baber should be aged 52 on 1861 - was living at Westcombe St on 1851 & 1871. Also, Benjamin & Sarah Thomas - both Westcombe St on 1851 & 1871. If you have time could you look up William & Dinah Baber - I have no address but they will have been in Batcombe. Thank you very much for your time. Debby

Nana Anna

Nana Anna Report 8 Mar 2005 17:44

Hi Nikki Thanks for the offer. Could you try and find me: Emma Wills age 24 born in Glastonbury. She maybe in Glastonbury or Baltonsborough. But should be single so maybe in service elsewhere. John Francis Bush age 25 born in Baltonsborough. Should be living there somewhere and single. Love to know where they were both living and who with as not with their families, and didn't get married to each other until 1862. Thanks veyr much Anna

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 19:23

Hi Steph Hopefully this will answer a few of your questions: 1861 West St, Somerton Eliza Talbot Head Widow 49 Grocer, Butleigh, Somerset Ann Talbot Daur 12 Scholar, Somerton, Somerset John Talbot son 9 Scholar, Somerton, Somerset Nikki

Wulliam

Wulliam Report 8 Mar 2005 19:29

Hi Nikki, would it be possible for you to look for: James Ashman aged 20 born in Weston, Somerset. His parents were Frederick and Mary Ashman. If I'm not being too greedy, also: William Weeks aged either 13 or 14. Born in Farmborough, Somerset. His parents were Henry & Hannah Weeks. Thanks! William

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 19:49

Hi Debby Here's the people you're looking for, the images arent' great so can't be sure on some of the ages & names. If you'd like a copy of the image send me a direct message with your e-mail address & I'll forward them to you 1861 Westcombe Street, Batcombe John Baber Head Married 28 Ag Lab, Batcombe, Somerset Jane Baber Wife married (can't read age) Ag Lab's Wife, West Cranmore, Somerset Richard Baber Widow 52 Contractor,Batcombe, Somerset Sarah Baber Mother Widow Batcombe Somerset Westcombe Street, Batcombe Benjamin Thomas Head Married 38 Ag Lab Batcombe, Somerset Sarah Thomas Wife Married 38 Ag Labs wife Batcombe, Somerset John Thomas Son 14 Ag Labs son Westcombe, Somerset Edwin Thomas son 11 Ag Labs son Westcombe, Somerset (can't read name) Thomas son (can't read age) scholar, Westcombe Somerset Charles Thomas son (can't read age) Scholar, Westcombe, Somerset Elizabeth Thomas daur 3 Scholar Westcombe, Somerset William Thomas Son 1 Ag Labs son Westcombe, Somerset Bailys Lane, Batcombe William Baber Head Married 25 Ag Lab Batcombe, Somerset Dinah Baber Wife Married 30 Batcombe, Somerset Joseph Baber Son 1 Batcombe, Somerset Frances Baber son (can't read age) Batcombe, Somerset Elizabeth (can't read surname) daughter 8 scholar Lamyat Somerset Henry (can't read surname) son (can't read age) scholar Lamyat, Somerset Best wishes Nikki

Annie in

Annie in Report 8 Mar 2005 19:52

Hi, Nikki, This maybe too big an area to search but I am looking for a Charles Maidment in Yeovil, married to an Isabella [possibly using the name Elizabeth] with a son Edward aged abt 6 [possibly using the name James! lol] I will fully understand if this is too tall an order. Sorry I can't be more accurate but this lot have lead me a right merry dance! Many thanks for any help

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 20:03

Hi Anna Have checked Baltonsborough for both Emma & John with no luck and unfortunatley there are 120 pages of Glastonbury returns so unless you can specify a likely area I could be here until Christmas! Sorry Nikki

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 20:05

William I'd love to help but as the census has no index I need to know the village or area of a town in which you're searching. Let me know if you can give me further info. Nikki

Steph

Steph Report 8 Mar 2005 20:06

Hi Nikki Thank you so much for that info, and for your time. I really am most grateful. Kind regards Steph

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 20:21

Annie Was just getting googly eyed when I found them! 1861 - Mudford Rd, Yeovil Chas Maidment Head Married 49 Glover Yeovil, Som Isabills Maidment Wife Married 38 Yeovil, Som Jas Maidment Son 8 Yeovil, Som Walter Maidment Son 8 Yeovil, Som Albert Maidment son 4 Yeovil, Som Jennett Maidment Daur 2 Yeovil, Som Chas Maidment Son 8m Yeovil, Som Best Wishes Nikki

Debby

Debby Report 8 Mar 2005 20:24

Hi Nicki Thank you very much - you've really helped me! I would love the images - I'll e mail you. Thanks once again. Debby

Wulliam

Wulliam Report 8 Mar 2005 20:28

Hi Nikki, Sorry for not being clearer... James Ashman aged 20 born in Weston, Somerset. His parents were Frederick and Mary Ashman. I guess he'll be in either Weston or Bath If I'm not being too greedy, also: William Weeks aged either 13 or 14. Born in Farmborough, Somerset. His parents were Henry & Hannah Weeks. I imagine he'll still be in Farmborough. Thanks again, William PS If you need Somerset in 1851 I can look that up.

Annie in

Annie in Report 8 Mar 2005 20:29

Nikki, You absolute star! That has just answered so many questions, that I've been asking for a couple years. Thank you sooooooooooooo much xxxxxxx

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 8 Mar 2005 20:31

Hi Nicki, Thank you for your kind offer. I am searching for my gggrandmother Mercy Fry. She was base born 1845/6 and living with an aunt and uncle on the 1851 Census in Carlingcott/Camerton/Clutton, age 5. So she should be 15 years old on the 1861 Census and would be single and working. The area would be Clutton/Camerton or Carlingcott. Also searching for Job Henry Fry and wife Mary from Camerton. However, by 1871 they had moved to London. Hope is this not too difficult to find. Very much appreciated. Elizabeth

Nana Anna

Nana Anna Report 8 Mar 2005 21:07

Thanks anyway Nikki. I expect they were off somewhere on a dirty weekend!! Cheers Anna

Wifey

Wifey Report 8 Mar 2005 21:11

HI Nikki, I'd love to take you up o your very kind offer. Looking for William Jeanes and his family, should be in South Petherton. William, aged 65 sarah, aged 53 susan, aged 12 (and of course any other family members at the time) Best wishes Paula x

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 21:45

Hi William I'm not having much luck for your searches - As there is no index I have to simply scroll through pages for each town/area looking for the right person so.... a) James Ashman - There are over 700 pages for Bath & Weston I'm afraid so it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack unless you know the address or an area of which town he was in. b) William Weeks - I've looked through all of the Farmborough pages with no results. Sorry. Nikki

Nikki

Nikki Report 8 Mar 2005 21:46

Cas I have no index & can't do blanket searches. If you're looking for someone in particluar let me know. Nikki