General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 0 + 1 of 957

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2018 19:40

Fingers crossed Linda.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Dec 2018 18:40

So am I Ann

My old lady is still in hospital, they have decided to do different tests now,so goodness knows when she will get out. We have been pushing for her to move to the local hospital and today they finally agreed. She was all set to go, when suddenly at the last minute, they lost the bed to someone else. Poor soul was really downhearted. Hopefully it won’t be to long before she moves, it will make things much easier for me

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2018 14:40

Sure is nippy Shaun, in fact we have got the heating ON and I am still cold!!

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 14 Dec 2018 14:28

Hello Everyone :-)

Nippy init ?

Minus 2 cel 6.30 still only 5 cel with bright sunshine so lovely and healthy :-D

Sylvia enjoy your Christmas and be good :-)

I managed to get all the cards sorted and posted yesterday.

D/N coming down the path so better move, have a nice weekend <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2018 20:02

Fingers crossed she does Linda :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 12 Dec 2018 17:06

Snap, I had my hair cut today as well.
It is really cold here and set to get colder
My old lady is still in hospital, they are saying she may come out on Friday, but I will believe that when it happens

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Dec 2018 14:58

Missed Sylvia as we were out. Hope she has a good journey and a lovely Christmas anyway.
Very cold here today, it was sunny this morning and a lot more cheerful than how it is now which is very dark and gloomy although still dry.
We had to buy a new iron this morning for OH!!! Ours was intermittantly going wrong, he does enjoy a new iron!
We also did the grocery shop then had our hair cut. Now he is outside fiddling with the CCTV cameras.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 11 Dec 2018 22:05

I hope you have a lovely time Sylvia, see you after the holidays

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Dec 2018 03:50

frantic packing today, but I think we have everything in the right place. Cab is ordered for 9 am tomorrow morning (Tuesday)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all xxxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2018 12:56

No frost here just a bit damp although no rain today. OH just come in from golf where he said he played the worst game ever!!! Ooops! not a happy man.

Linda, poor you, bad enough when it is your own family but doing all the visiting for someone else's family must come hard, however much you like her. good that her SiL was able to get things sorted, but he should not have needed to which I am sure he will have pointed out to her consultant which is why he is more attentive now. I hope she will recover soon and you can have time to spend with your OH.

Shaun hope you don't have too many more appointments and can have a good rest at home. <3 <3

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 10 Dec 2018 08:55

Bore da / Good morning everyone.

White frost here earlier, sun shining now with a temp 8 cel.

Well done to son-in-law regarding your Lady friend.

Hope you are all ok or okish here they come whether you need one or not
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Dec 2018 10:36

Oh dear Shaun, that was a long day, I hope you can get some rest today.

I am still visiting my old lady every afternoon, or she wouldn’t see any one and more importantly she wouldn’t have anyone to fight her corner. It wouldn’t be so bad if she was in the local hospital but that was full on the night she was admitted so she was taken to one which is a forty five minute drive away. Going there and back, plus staying with her for a couple of hours, fills my day.
She is in the geriatric Ward, but luckily in a side room as the main ward resembles a scene from Bedlam, she would have hated to be in there. The trouble with the side room is that she is out of sight, so out if mind. The care is appalling and as the main treatment is constantly filling her with laxatives, well I won’t go on....

Her poor family is demented, trying to communicate with the ward from afar and getting the usual “she is comfortable “ messages . On Wednesday her son in law had had enough, so he drive over to sort everything out. He is a senior palliative care consultant for a large hospital group, so he asked to see her file. He sorted all the medication out and suggested various different drugs which the junior doctor hastily arranged.
What a difference yesterday morning, her own consultant was suddenly interested, explaining everything to her, arranging all sorts of tests which should have been done before and finally discovering the cause if her problem. They are being so attentive which is great for her, but sad that it is only because if who her son in law is. Anyway she was much better yesterday, mainly because her pain relief is sorted out.

I will get two days off over the weekend as one of her sons is coming up from Somerset, but it will be back to the grind on Monday, unless they suddenly let her out, but it doesn’t sound like it

OH is getting pretty fed up of me being away all the time, but I can’t just abandon her

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Dec 2018 09:40

Little damp,bright, sun trying to come out a little breeze with a temperature of 12 cel

what more you you want ? :-) :-)

Struggling here at the moment after having 3 hospital appointments this week. I'm not a good traveler as you know. Yesterday 2 appointment first one 9.45 then the other was at 1.30 did not see him/consultant until 3.50 got home 7.45 in a right pickle :-( :-0.

still pickling now :-D

anyway hope you are all ok or okish and being good, cwtchs on there way take care and turn that heating down :-D <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 5 Dec 2018 20:01

I won’t tell Ann.
I am still having to visit my old lady in hospital every day. I thought she might be coming out tomorrow, but apparently not :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Dec 2018 14:12

Nasty wer afternoon here and cold with it. Daughter and SiL due to arrive shortly so heating has just gone on (Ssshh don't tell Shaun).

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 3 Dec 2018 09:05

Are you coming out to play, wet windy and 12 cel.

Have you seen the cards on Anns blog, I wonder who will be getting which-one?

Cwtchs on the way take care and be good <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Nov 2018 19:28

Linda ................

I think we have a matching pair! :-D

OH does (or is supposed to) pack checked bags ........ he went to boarding school and has always said he's a better packer than me ( :-S ), so he gets the awkward job, especially when we're going to the daughter's because we always have strange (or strange shaped) things to take that she has asked for.

I do the carry-on bag(s) ...... on the train that means having clothes etc for 6 days, but he has to give me what he wants! We normally have 2 roller cases, one a 17" and the other an 18", and usually one more carry bag that takes wash bags, his shaver, etc.

The last 2 years, the carry-ons have included a extra bag containing what we've called "The Treasure" much to the amusement of train staff ....

...... the first was a stained glass window hanging about 2' x 2' given to daughter by her godmother just before she died. Luckily I found a cloth bag bought in Australia that would take it wrapped well in bubble wrap plus extra "packing" such as a stole.

The second was a large Ikebana vase in two sections given to her as a memento of another close friend who had died. It was packed in a box by the widower ....... the problem there was finding a bag that was wide enough to take the box!

It was my responsibility to carry those 2 bags, either over my shoulder or on my knee when I was having the wheelchair help at stations.

Luckily, the sleeper cabins on the train have a narrow clothes closet for coats, and the bags both fitted on the floor in there, out of the way.

I don't think we have anything that awkward this year ....... just 2 bottles of a special liqueur that she can no longer get and that will have to go in the carry-ons:-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 30 Nov 2018 19:05

It is funny Sylvia, how we ladies are the ones who organise everything. OH wouldn’t have the first idea about arranging a holiday. He had a secretary who organised all his work trips as well.

It is bitterly cold toady. My old ladies daughter arrived last night, but on the train a s she won’t drive on motorways. That meant she had no way to get to the hospital other than an eighty pound taxi journey, so I still ended up at the hospital. One of her sons is coming for the day tomorrow, so I get to stay at home.
She won’t be out for a few days, she had agreed to go into a local care home for respite care, but now she has changed her mind and is refusing to go. Really someone should stay with her when she comes out, but they are either working or “ too busy” to come

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Nov 2018 17:25

we've had about 5 days of rain, now sun and bitterly cold!

We still have to keep our use of natural gas as low as possible ........... the pipeline is repaired but not carrying at full capacity yet. We have the thermostat set at 17/18C, which gives us an air temperature of 18/19C, and are being careful how much hot water we use. We turn the temperature to about 15C overnight. We'll leave the thermostats at about 17C when we're away ..... have to make sure the house doesn't get too cold so that the pipes freeze.

Massive winter storm in eastern Canada yesterday and overnight, almost everyone in Nova Scotia was without power due to the winds, and about 20-30cm snow expected.

We now have just over a week to go before we leave for there!!

Ann ............I had to laugh at your comment re 2 weeks to get it all ready!

You posted that the day after OH had made a comment at our coffee group where I didn't know whether to laugh or kick him!

We'd been talking about the fact that we leave early in the morning, and I said my plan was to have everything packed and cases locked the night before.

I start thinking about things to take about 6 weeks or so before, so I can make sure clothes are clean, we have sufficient supplies of medications, etc etc etc.
I start getting my clothes together about 3 weeks before, at first far too many, then I make my final decision about a week before.

OH's comment????

He planned to have everything packed at least 2 days before we leave as "Sylvia always leaves everything to the last minute, just before the taxi arrives."!!!!!

This is the guy who for the last 2 years has had to be harried on the morning we leave into giving me everything he will need for the 6 days on the train to go in the "overnight" case!

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 30 Nov 2018 13:53

Hello everyone.

Bright sunshine 12 cel but a bitter wind.

Weekend supposed to be wet according to last forecast.

Ann hope you are not in to much discomfort with your back take it easy, keep from the Victorian fair in worcester . Couple of gold stars for you for keeping the heating off, could you have a word with Linda please.

Linda you will need the thermals over weekend. Surely the children could help out with there Mum while you are not well yourself , like Ann has said some folk are selfish.

Von, Yvonne, Jem, Sallie, Hazel, Mersey, Sylvia, hope you are all ok or ok-ish.

Cwtchs for you all whether you want one or not <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3