General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 0 + 1 of 950

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Sep 2018 19:31

It has been really warm today, but bad weather is coming tomorrow.

There is a need to go abroad Shaun, we are off for a bot of our usual five star pampering

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Sep 2018 18:10

Shaun .........

sorry, but like Linda, we had the heating on both days of the weekend , it was so cold that an extra cardigan didn't do it.

It was also very wet over the weekend, and showers overnight last night, but now the sun is shining and the sky is blue ............ and it is about 12C outside!

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 17 Sep 2018 09:35

Bore da / Good morning everyone :-)

Sylvia how you diddling yes please for some snow, now I'm in trouble :-( ;-)

Linda you could knock me down with a feather , put another cardy on simple's :-) and where would this sun be you are heading for, there is plenty of it in Wales and the borders no need to go abroad :-)

Von, Ann,Yvonne, Jem, Mersey, Sallie, Suemaid hope you are all in good fettle or goodish fettle. cwtchs on there way whether you need one or not <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 15 Sep 2018 14:24

we have had some chilly days as well Sylvia, although it is still warm down south

I have had the heating on for a couple of evenings as it has got don to about ten degrees and I am not being cold despite what Shaun says.

We are off to the sun at the end of the week, it should be well and truly autumnal when we come back.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2018 21:14

It is MUCH cooler here ............. already had the electric baseboard heating on in this room, but not yet turned on the furnace. OH has to make sure the filters in the furnace are clean, and the vents are also cleaned.

Snow has already fallen in the north, in parts of the centre, and on mountain passes.

I think fall is arriving early!!!!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Sep 2018 19:40

Tut, packet soups aren’t allowed either :-|

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 14 Sep 2018 09:37

Bore da / good morning everyone :-)

So you have only rested for 3 days this week Linda :-| not good enough.

I had homemade soup yesterday no tinned rubbish here either :-)
Chicken and leek cup a soup out of packet and garlic bread :-)

got to go cwtchs are a coming <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 12 Sep 2018 11:47

I am resting Shaun, because I have just washed down all the kitchen units and tiles, so now I am tired :-(

I have to take my old lady shopping this afternoon, then I can relax for the rest of the week.

Time to go and make some soup for lunch, from scratch of course, no tinned stuff for me

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 12 Sep 2018 09:24

Bore da / good morning everyone.

I hope you are resting Linda , I doubt it :-)

Jem hope you are improving and also that GS1 his enjoying sorting out his new home.

Von,Yvonne,Mersey,Sallie,Ann,Sylvia,Suemaid, hope you are ok OR okish . Cwtchs coming <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Sep 2018 12:43

Your tomato relish sounds good Shaun. I haven’t made any chutney this year as I am not eating much because of the diet. You can stil see me Shaun, I am not that sylph like.

I hope you are feeling better Jem, no more climbing about

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 10 Sep 2018 09:25

Bore da / good morning everyone :-)

Welcome to the mad-house Joannie always lovely to see fresh names popping up. Yes you are very lucky to be living in such a beautiful area of Wales. If I had age and health on my side I would be looking for a place in St.Davids, move there tomorrow.

Sylvia you made me laugh with your post . How are the fires in your area settling down I hope.

Linda where are you, you have lost so much weight you cannot be seen :-) Like Ann has side Gosh , you have done well to loose 5 stone well done.

Jem what do you think you were doing up a step-ladder I think you need a smack bottom. For goodness sake take care. Hope GS1s move went well.

Ann I expect you have been busy in the garden did I tell you that I made some tomato relish.

got to go

cwtchs for you all <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3take care <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Sep 2018 22:25

Jem hope all went well with the move and that your bruises have healed. Goo that grandson will be near his Mum.

Linda gosh five stone, a mere shadow of your former self and here was me feeling pleased at losing 7 pounds since January. Well done.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 9 Sep 2018 18:17

I hope the move went well Jem, it is good that he is in a permanent house now.

I have had a really lazy weekend, it is nice to be idle after such a hectic few weeks

I sorted by wardrobe out last week and had to buy lots of new clothes on Friday. I have now lost five stones, so non of my winter stuff was usable.

I forgot to say Sylvia, that even when I gave up teaching, you had to be very careful never to be alone with even a couple of kids in case they decided to make something up, a very sad state of affairs

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Sep 2018 22:27

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the madhouse

I'm the Canadian connection, Shaun let me on even though I'm mongrel English (no such thing as pure-bred English), and the others tolerate me ;-)

OH was born in Wales of a Welsh mother, and went to school in Wales from the age of 13, but his birth was registered in England. And, anyway, the nursing home where he was born ended up in England about 2 years after his birth!

I'm Lancashire born and bred, but left the UK 10 days after we married in 1967

I'm always out of sync time-wise ....... but I try to speak English not Canajun

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Sep 2018 17:17

Hi Ann <3

Yes, GS1 moved into a temporary house a couple of months ago. They said he could be there for a couple of years. But a small house in the next street to his mother became available and due to the severity of his health issues, he was allocated that.
So we are very pleased and relieved, but of course it's a lot of work again!

I know! that's what I always tell OH and GS1.... I'm not Super Woman .... but they still think that I am ;-) ;-) :-D

It's just when you've always done things, you think you still can. Although to be fair, one of the front legs of the stepladder buckled. I don't know if that happened in the fall or it caused the fall :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~ to Shaunnie <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2018 16:48

Hello Joannie. I live near Gloucester, not so very far from Wales, however my OH's Mother was born in Caerphilly and his grandmother was born in Pontypridd.

Jem I thought Grandson1 had only recently moves, is this another move. Oh dear what on earth were you doing up a ladder. You could have done a lot of damage, hopefully your bruises will soon heal but please be careful you are not wonder woman!!! <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Sep 2018 16:20

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the Welsh Thread :-)

I'm Jem and I live in Carmarthenshire but all my father's family were born and bred in Pembrokeshire. Yes you certainly do live in a lovely part of Wales.

My Grandfather's family hailed from Square and Compass / Trevine/ Croesgoch/ Llanrian area in the north and were predominantly Welsh speaking.

My Grandmother's father's family (Raymond) came from the Roch, Nolton, Druidstone areas more South and were English speakers.

I have the Codd Family on my tree. My 3xG.Grandparents were Thomas Raymond (c.1793-1869) and Elizabeth nee Codd (1793-1869) Elizabeth was the daughter of William Codd and Elinor Saise (and various other spellings)

I do believe I have some of your other surnames on my tree. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone :-D <3

Sorry I've not been about again.
GS1 is moving this weekend and I had a pretty nasty fall from the top of a step ladder while trying to cut an overgrown flowering tree :-D
I banged my head and am very bruised on my thighs where I landed on top of the ladder but I survived :-D :-D :-D :-D

Joanne

Joanne Report 8 Sep 2018 15:58

I am lucky enough to live in beautiful Pembrokeshire, my father's family have been here for at least 220 years (records are a bit scarce from before that). The Family names I am researching include :- Llewellyn (llewellin, Llewhellin), Mathias, John, Pawllett, Grifiiths, Cooper, Rhead, Saes, Morgan, Codd, and Russan (Russant). Clive Llewellyn.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 8 Sep 2018 10:06

Bore da everyone <3

sorry not read back errors are popping up and being a pain again :-|

hope you are all in good fettle or goodish fettle and of course being good COS I am :-)

wet and misty here but on the muggy side.

have a great weekend cwtchs on there way take care

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2018 18:02

Linda ...........

Male elementary teachers are not that common here either.

It's a great pity, but here it seems to result from all the angst about protecting children. Men are literally scared of being accused of unacceptable behaviour to children in the school. In many cases, this can be a very wrong accusation ..... but that doesn't matter. The guy's reputation is shredded and he can never get a teaching job again.

Even women teachers have to be very very careful ............. I remember daughter's school principal telling us about 25 years ago, when there began to be more control of how teachers behaved with children, that she was now scared of hugging a small child who had fallen and hurt herself ........ just because!

She was a trained elementary teacher before moving in administration, and her training had included that putting an arm round a child was fine. Until things began to change about 1990/91 .... and they've only got worse.

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but we seem to have almost as many "wrong" and vengeful accusations against male teachers from pre-teen and young teenage girls as true ones. If the accusations get as far as the police charging the man, his name is published, he's fired .................... and even if he is then found innocent in court, that's it.

We have one male friend who has been an elementary and middle-school teacher for about 20 years now ....... we call him the gentle giant, which he really is. But he is always very careful how he touches or not the children

It's a great pity!