General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another piece of history destroyed

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 09:46

My children are quite upset, as a piece of family history has gone.
Bere Mill in Whitchurch, and Laverstoke Mill ares were members of their father's side worked for generations, literally making money, until their grandfather 'broke the mould'.

Looking at censuses, I tracked the family living in various places - within 3 miles of the Mills!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42986229

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Feb 2018 10:06

It's such a shame that the fire has taken most of the Mill.
Especially when your family history goes back so far.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 10:19

Daughter and I were messaging, when I mentioned that, at one point, in a group of cottages built by Portal (the factory owner), every other one was lived in by an ancestor of her father.

Her comment?
The local shoe shop must have done a roaring trade!

Strange comment, but my ex has big toes that turn up - as has this daughter.

Daughter would 'wear out' the uppers of her shoes before the soles, as her toe nail wore through the leather :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 10:37

Such a shame about the mill that poor family.

As for the shoes... LOL

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 10:40

The other mill, at Laverstoke, now makes bombay sapphire gin - so all is not lost! :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 10:46

Yep I saw a TV show on that once.....keep your spirits up :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 11:46

I've suggested my girls take their children there, to show them where their ancestors worked.
Of course, granny would have to go to, children and drivers couldn't sample their wares :-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 11:59

You'd have to have just a little sample it'd be rude not to....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 12:10

Of course! :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Feb 2018 14:16

Given the high importance and beauty of this construction it is possible, even probable that it will be restored. Other famous mills have been restored after serious fires e.g. Beaulieu Tide Mill, Houghton (Mill on the Floss)..

One of my rellies was a millwright (water and wind). He was practising until just before ww1 when he died in a mill fire. Eventually his plan chests with lots and lots of drawings and notes came down to me. I gave away the drawings to various interested parties ( though I could have sold them for a tidy sum ) and kept the plan chests which I still have.

All of our tomorrows began with yesterday.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 14:21

Bere Mill was a private house, so I suppose it depends on the owners, and what's left.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Feb 2018 14:38

In the last ten years there have been two serious fires of heritage buildings in the village of Sopley on the edge of the New Forest. One gutted a large thatched private dwelling, "The Red House". The other seriously damaged a popular pub "The Woolpack".

Both buildlings have been fully restored.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 14:40

We can but wait and see.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 14:51

From the pictures it looks bad wonder if there's enough to restore or enough insurance money.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Feb 2018 19:16

English Heritage will usually fork out towards fire damage concerning buildings important to our culture and history, large and small. Current large project is the Rene Mackintosh building in Glasgow. A past success after serlous fre damage was the Cutty Sark.

Don't despair.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 19:17

Not so likely for a private house though surely?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2018 19:19

The Rene Mackintosh building and the Cutty Sark were known worldwide.
No too many people will know about Bere Mill.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Feb 2018 19:21

Do we know how much damage there actually was yet? From the pictures I've seen it looks totally gutted.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Feb 2018 22:09

Such a shame when anything like this happens. I hope it can be restored.

Lizxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Feb 2018 22:09

Such a shame when anything like this happens. I hope it can be restored.

Lizxx