Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for Harrington family in New Zealand

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Odette

Odette Report 26 Jan 2016 08:45

Hi, I am searching for relatives of Cyril Harrington born in London in 1912, I believe he moved to New Zealand and had a son named Barry. My mother Juanita Harrington (born 1940) was Cyril's daughter. Cyril lost contact with Juanita when she was very young so he wouldn't have known about me.

I would love to hear from Barry or any other connection with Cyril Harrington.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 10:39

Odette, have you used the Search all members tree, top right under search? If anyone lists your mother, grandfather or Barry in their trees, send them a message asking how they are related.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 15:57

Initials are sooo important in this game.

Your grandparents marriage

Marriages Dec 1936 (>99%)
HARRINGTON Cyril L V (to Foot) Greenwich 1d 1749

Cyril L V Harrington
in the New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981

Name: Cyril L V Harrington
Electoral Year: 1969
District: Birkenhead
Region or Province: Auckland

11 Diana Dr, occupation Director.
At the same address is Doris who is married. Would she be Brian’s mother?

Same details in 1972, 1978.
1981 - Although the details for Cyril are still the same, Doris is no longer listed at the same address.

Possibly Doris' death, although there could be other people who fit the same criteria

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth Age at Death
1991/40333 Harrington Doris Irene 8/9/1918 72Y

Now having 2nd thoughts, as there is a marriage for Cyril L V Harrington in 1955 to Josephine G A Olley. Is this the same man or someone else who bears his name? If so, what happened to Josephine or is the assumption that Doris is his wife incorrect? Josephine was born quite a few years after 'your' Cyril and may still be living.

Josephine and Cyril appear to have had a child together in 1957 - see http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

New Zealand have an Ask a Librarian service. If you believe the NZ electoral rolls to be correct, then you could ask them to check the intervening and subsequent years to see if Barry appears. That would give some indication of his yob by subtracting the age of majority from the ER year.
http://aut.ac.nz.libanswers.com/

Probably the question we need to ask - is Barry Josephine's son or does he have a different mother?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 16:19

This could be Cyril on the passenger list

Cyril Harrington
New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists
Name Cyril Harrington
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 31 Aug 1959
Event Place Auckland, New Zealand
Age 47
Marital Status Married
Occupation film artist
Birth Year (Estimated) 1912
Ship Name Rangitoto
Departure Port Tilbury
Departure Date 1959
Arrival Port Auckland
Arrival Place Tilbury

Travelling with
Name Barry Harrington
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 31 Aug 1959
Age 4
Marital Status Single
Birth Year (Estimated) 1955
Ship Name Rangitoto
Departure Port Tilbury
Departure Date 1959
Arrival Port Auckland
Arrival Place Tilbury

Name Kim Harrington
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 31 Aug 1959
Age 2
Marital Status Single
Birth Year (Estimated) 1957
Ship Name Rangitoto
Departure Port Tilbury
Departure Date 1959
Arrival Port Auckland
Arrival Place Tilbury

No Mrs Harrington on the same index
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDK-4MKW

Barry's birth was registered in 1Q 1955 as Barry C Harrington, with his mother's maiden name spelt differently to his sibling registration. On the basis that Jospehine didn't stay married to Cyril, he might have stayed with her or taken a step-father's name.

Added
A different version of the same manifest on FMP gives Cyril’s dob as 6 Jul 1912
Barry C’s as dd/Jan 1955
Kim (female) as dd/Jul 1957.

Their original address was 297a Clapham Place, London.
They intended to remain in NZ

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 16:38

???
Barry Colin Harrington
in the New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981

Name: Barry Colin Harrington
Electoral Year: 1981
District: West Coast
Region or Province: West Coast

18 Main Road, Hector – occupation Bee Keeper.
The records are arranged alphabetically. There are no other Harrington’s at the same address

Searching for Josephine G A (no surname) on the NZ ER comes up with a result
Name: Josephine G A Hughes
Electoral Year: 1981
District: Clutha
Region or Province: Otago
11 Wyre St, Ktngt. Occupation Asst Supervisor.
No other Hughes at the same address – the name could be a co-incidence.
EDIT - Red herring - Odette doesn't believe that Josephine went to NZ.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 16:44

Ummm Hope its not the correct man. :-0
http://tiny.cc/xh3j8x

That particular gentleman is listed in the NZ on-line phone directory.
https://whitepages.co.nz/#/jp_finder
Use the intials rather than first name

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 16:53

PM Sent to Odette advising how to return and comment.

Odette

Odette Report 26 Jan 2016 16:55

Thank you so much - this is all very helpful. The correct Cyril is the one who emigrated to NZ with his two children in 1959. I don't think Josephine (his then wife) went with them. He later married Violet ?Smith? in or around 1979.

They may have moved to Australia. I'd love to know details about where and when Cyril died, I think it may have been around 2000 but not sure if it was in NZ or Australia.

I will make contact with Kim and Barry as they are my aunt and uncle!

Thank you so much.

Kind regards
Odette

Odette

Odette Report 26 Jan 2016 16:56

pS: Josephine was indeed a lot younger than Cyril when they met. I don't know who Doris was (is) but it is very possible that she was in fact Cyril's mother as I have been told he went to NZ taking his children with him to live with his mother.

Odette

Odette Report 26 Jan 2016 16:57

"My" Cyril middle names were Leslie Victor so I am certain you've found the right Cyril.

Odette

Odette Report 26 Jan 2016 17:09

Sorry DET - just re read this thread, Doris couldn't have been Cyril's mother if her DOB was 1918. Possibly she was his sister or another wife after he left Josephine!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 17:14

Glad you didn't need the instructions.

If he did marry someone between the ER image years featured on Ancestry, it didn't last as she wasn't listed with him in 1981. Subsequent years aren't available on-line. The NZ find a librarian service would be able to look at them for you.

Please, when you request help, its quite important to give all information you can, without invading a living person's privacy. For instance, Cyril's other names, the year of birth for both his children (+ any middle names/initials) and the fact that their mother didn't travel with them.

Now that you've said Cyril may have moved to Australia, the search continues. Because the privacy laws in Australia and NZ are stricter than ours, it may not be possible to find his death (hadn't seen one in NZ) or marriages for Barry or Kim.

Added - there's no concrete evidence to say that Doris Irene was his mother. Would she still have been married if Cyril was indeed living with her?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2016 17:20

Cyril's death
http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

Surname HARRINGTON
Given Names Cyril Leslie Victor (Cy)
Notice Type Death notice
Date 29MAR2000
Type Death
Publication Gold Coast Bulletin
Published 31MAR2000

The Queensland Ask a Librarian service could send you a copy
http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/services/ask-us

It might give the name of his widow, if there was one, or his children/grandchildren. If it gives the name of the funeral director, they may be able to give you a bit more information whilst protecting their clients privacy

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Jan 2016 05:14

well done Det

Odette your earlier thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/trying_to_find/thread/923546

should we assume that Violet who has just posted there has been in touch with you now?

just in case this is a coincidence and you had not seen that message :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIOLET - PLEASE READ THIS!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's lovely to see you here but there is a problem.

You have posted many messages, with all kinds of personal information.

Everybody on the internet can see it!

You have given your email address, and private information about other people.

You need to delete these messages.

The problem may be that you don't know there is a page 2 here - ?

Down at the bottom of this page, you will see 1 and 2. Click on 2 and you will see your messages.

For each one of them, please click DELETE and then confirm that you want to delete it.

The message that started this discussion is from ODETTE, and you and she are in contact by email already. The information you are posting, she already knows it.

Nobody else here is related to you or Odette. We are just friendly helpers who like to help people find their families.

You have put so much personal information in your messages that you do need to delete them.

And then send Odette a message by email - not here! - to stay in touch with her.

I hope you see this and I hope it helps!

Odette

Odette Report 27 Jan 2016 06:40

Yes, Violet has made contact with me and she has been able to verify much of the information. Thank you so much for your help,

Based on this success I will now be posting a new thread seeking relatives on my paternal side, however it is possible none live in the UK so I am not sure how successful this can be. Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards
|Odette

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 11:34

Glad to hear that Violet has made contact with you. Out of interest, was any of the info posted here incorrect? I was a little concerned whether the contact details for Barry were for the correct person, or a co-incidence.

It seems strange the previous thread wasn't picked up on an internet search - perhaps the 'phrase' used was wrong.

Odette

Odette Report 28 Jan 2016 09:09

My contact with Violet has focused on Cyril Harrington so far so I don't know if the contact details for Barry are correct, but she may not know as they weren't in touch apparently.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2016 19:09

Once you've had a chance to catch up, try the details for Barry. If its the incorrect one, we can have another go. Violet may have further leads we can work on.

Odette

Odette Report 28 Jan 2016 22:17

I may have found Barry. Violet gave me the first name of his son, which is fairly unusual, I think I found him on Facebook in the right location in NZ and saw that he is "friends" with a Barry Harrington of Nelson NZ! So I've messaged that Barry Harrington to see if he is the one I am looking for. Thanks again for all your help so far.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2016 22:25

If he doesn't reply, you might find his son can pass on a message. Not everyone is aware that new contacts messages end up in a different FB box.
You'll have a lot of catching up to do!