Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jordan..Manchester,England.

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John William

John William Report 16 Apr 2010 09:39

I need some help in finding family of the above name who's father was a Vetinary Doctor,had a son John Thomas Jordan, born around1900 /1904...[My father] who was in the Kings own Yorkshire light infantry in 1930 in India...He had a sister called Liz,and a second sister who became a nun!
Help would be really apreciated,as I am a beginner,and am at a complete loss at the moment

John William

John William Report 16 Apr 2010 10:02

My father birthday was 25th June...I have no Birth cert!

Many thanks for trying.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Apr 2010 10:09

In order to progress you may have to take a chance and purchase a copy of the birth certificate that has been found.

Do you know whether your fathers sister Liz (Elizabeth??) was younger or older than your father?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Apr 2010 10:11

If you buy the birth certificate that Mrs. M has given you the reference for , you will get the father's name and occupation - it may then be possible to find the family on census records.

Do you have your parents marriage certificate ? This will give the names and occupations of you Grandfathers.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Apr 2010 10:42

Births may be legally registered up to 42 days after the event. A birth on 25th of June registered in the July Quarter is normal.

John William

John William Report 16 Apr 2010 10:50

Sorry Jonesey;

Being new on this site, I was not aware of that. Please accept my profuse appologies.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Apr 2010 10:58

Apology accepted. To avoid adversly affecting any future progress on your enquiry I have editted my previous thread.

Mary

Mary Report 16 Apr 2010 14:02

1911 census we have a John Thomas Jordan 1902 born unknown in a intstitute in Swinton near Manchester.It was workhouse industrial school.

Was it John Thomas who had father a vet?

Just found a Elizabeth Jordan born @ 1906 in same institue in Swinton Barton upon urwell area manchester.

When and where did John Thomas pass away.

Maryb

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 09:40

Hello Mary,

John thomas was my father. A Soldier and a Male Nurse in later life...He died in 1957 in Birmingham.9c 138...I saw his Birth certificate many years ago,and it was there that I vaugely remember his fathers name as John Cecil? Jordan and listed as a Vetinary Doctor...I have a photo of my father taken in India in 1930,with a note on the back..from brother John to Sister liz!..It also said,This is No 12 Plattoon..C Coy...I found out before he died that one sister became a nun,and another moved to Bromsgrove in the midlands...Many thanks for your assistance...Would this be the same John Thomas that Mrs M mentiond above?.....Your help is really appreciated....Take care.

Mary

Mary Report 17 Apr 2010 10:02

Hi John according to his death in 1957 he was 55 so the birth for 1902 looks like the one.

I can't find a John Cecil Jordan.

Did he have 3 sisters.

You could get your grandads name off your dads marriage certificate and also his occupation and address at time of marriage.

Maryb

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 17 Apr 2010 10:34

Good morning John William,

I have taken a look at the 1911 census for both John and Elizabeth Jordan. Unfortunately there is nothing conclusive about whether they were siblings and in both records their birthplaces are shown as not known.

Although it is tempting to assume that they might be your ancestors the question to ask is whether it is likely that the children of a vetinary doctor/surgeon would be in a workhouse school? The answer is probably no in which case maybe they were not your ancestors or perhaps your recollection of what appeared on the birth certificate you saw many years ago may have been erroded by the sands of time. (It happens to all of us).

There appear to be several ways that you may discover the truth of your fathers origins but unfortunately they all involve a cost:

A) Buy a copy of the birth certificate that has been mentioned (Cost £9.25). You mention your fathers death in 1957. As his estimated age is shown as 55 and the death was registered in the Oct~Dec qtr of 1957 then that would indeed be appropriate for someone who was born on 25/6/1902.

B) Buy a copy of your parents marriage certificate (Cost £9.25 if the event occurred in England or Wales) as that also may show details of your fathers father, name and occupation ect.

C) Try to obtain a copy of your fathers military service record. As your father is deceased you would be entitled to obtain them on production of your fathers death certificate, your parents marriage certificate and your own birth certificate. The records themselves if they can be found will cost you about £30~£45. To apply for them you first need to visit this site and download an application form:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Be aware that you may have to wait quite a long time (3~6 months) for the records to be produced for you.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 12:39

Hello again Mary,

My mother once told me that my father did have 3 sisters, Why did you ask?

Jonesey,

Many thanks for you further interest...I have applied to the IPO in London today,for a copy of the Marriage Certificate...If I receive it...and it's a big IF!..[as I live in Central China!]...I will have firm info.,on his date of birth, fathers name, occupation etc...As ex RAF myself, I am a member of Veterans-uk, so I will make some enquiries in that direction as well.
Again...Many thanks again for your advice and interest.

Untill then,I will sit and gent'ly trim my finger nails with my teeth!

Mary

Mary Report 17 Apr 2010 13:31

I asked if he had 3 sisters as you said there was a postcard with Liz on,then you said one sister became a nun and another sister movrd to Bromsgrove.

So I didn't know if you were talking bout 2/3 sisters if you get my drift.

I'm just going through deaths for a John C Jordan,but not having much luck at all.

Do you think it possible that your grandad came over from ireand?

Maryb
P.S love your mums name,was that her real first name or a nickname.

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 13:58

The reason I joined GU was because my father died when I was 12,and I knew very little of his past!...Perhaps his father was an Irish immigrant, I just don't know.
Lola was an unusual name,but it was what everyone called he,including my father!...Which is yet another problem!

I understood, my mother was 10 years younger than my father,and she had a Sister , my Aunt Florrie!...I have found Florence M [Walters} Born 1915... Birmingham 6d 526...I am unable to find a Lola Perrett in 8 years either side of 1912..10.years younger than my father!...

It's a difficult Jigsaw that can be pieced together if the Marriage Cert,. finds me!!!

Dea

Dea Report 17 Apr 2010 14:15

Who is this Lola Perrett and her sister Florence Walters??

I have not seen any reference on the thread to them previously?

Dea x

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 14:24

Lola, my Mother, and Florrie Perrett were sisters born in Birmingham..The surname Walters came up as the person registering Florrie's birth in 1915, and I assume it was her Mother!...

Mary asked if lola was my mothers name or a nickname,and I said I was having trouble with finding my mothers date of birth.

Dea

Dea Report 17 Apr 2010 14:36

What about this one for Lola (being a nickname??)

Births Jun 1912

PERRETT Lois Walters Birmingham 6d 139

Dea x

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 14:43

Wow!...I've been through these records,and never noticed this...Seems lola was a nickname.
`1912 was the year I thought she was born,so it matches!

Many thanks Dea...You are a "Gem"..xx

Dea

Dea Report 17 Apr 2010 14:57

Thanks - there are lots of 'gems' on here but we can only sparkle if you give us ALL the info you have!!

I have been working on this quietly all day but have not been able to come up with anything more than Mary + Jonesey so have not posted.

That little extra info opened a new trail!

Glad to help.

Dea x

John William

John William Report 17 Apr 2010 14:57

Just checked and the name is lola...It's been typed with a prewar typewriter!....Thanks again Dea x