Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prince/Redgrave/US/Australia/England

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 1 Jul 2009 05:40

Hi all, sorry to have to ask but please could anybody help me with the following;

I ordered my grandads birth certificate (from Dec 1918) and this lists his mother as Eva Ada Prince nee Redgrave late Henry (exact words) and his fathers name as James Edmund Prince, this was registered in Chorlton, Manchester.

I have found Eva's birth details but cannot find anything else, she was born in September 1892 in Potterspury, Northamptonshire. I then located her on the 1901 census where she is a child boarder in Stockport. I thought the late may mean she passed away shortly after my grandads birth but cannot find any records of her death or life afterwards.

Also, James Edmund Prince is listed as an engineers clerk but this is the only information i have to go off and cannot find any details of birth, marriage or death.

I know this is not a lot to go off and i am sorry i couldn't provide more info, my grandad passed a number of years ago and told my mother that he cannot remember about his childhood except that he was in an orphanage at one point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Michelle

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2009 06:45

the words "late Henry" usually mean that the woman has been married before, and is either a widow or a divorcee.

In 1918, it is more likely that she would have been a widow.

sylvia

Penny

Penny Report 1 Jul 2009 07:35

do you know for a fact she was born in Pottersbury or just that reg district? or just the right name match so assume?

what was her fathers names?

jansmith

jansmith Report 1 Jul 2009 07:39

? 1911 census
HOUSEHOLD REDGRAVE EVA ADA F 1892 19 Ashton under Lyne Lancashire

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Jul 2009 08:15

In the 1911 record jansmith found, her relationship to head of household is servant.

jansmith

jansmith Report 1 Jul 2009 08:16

??1901 only one i can see but says born London
Name: Eva Redgrave
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Relation: Boarder
Where born: London, England
Civil parish: Hazelgrove Cum Bramhall
Ecclesiastical parish: Norbury St Thomas
Town: Hazlegrove
County/Island: Cheshire

Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Boydell 35
Edith L Boydell 33
Eva Redgrave 8

This seems to be the only birth index though
Name: Eva Ada S Redgrave
Year of Registration: 1892
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Potterspury
County: Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 23

If you want to trace the family and think this is the one you would need to buy the cert

Michelle

Michelle Report 1 Jul 2009 13:54

Thankyou very much.

I came to the same conclusion, this has to be her as only one birth index. I still cannot find a marriage to either Henry nor my ggrandfather. I have ordered her birth certificate and i am just waiting for it to arrive, i would like to know where she went after my grandad's birth, is this possible or is the 1921 census the only way?(when it comes out!)

Also, i have an address where they lived in Dec 1918 as 78 Higher Ardwick, Manchester. Will this help to find the illustrious James Edmund Prince? I cannot find any details at all of him, birth marriage or death. I know he brought my grandad up on his own for the first years of his life in Ardwick/Chorlton area? Which has led me to be believe he wouldn't have served in the army, although my grandad did in ww2.

Thankyou again

Michelle

jansmith

jansmith Report 1 Jul 2009 23:22

1901 Interesting the person next on the image to Eva was born in Northamptonshire. This is him
Name: Frank Steins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Annie E
Where born: Braunstone, Northamptonshire, England
Civil parish: Hazelgrove Cum Bramhall
Ecclesiastical parish: Norbury St Thomas

Penny

Penny Report 1 Jul 2009 23:28

Braunston and Potterspury are a fair a distance apart.I'd say that was probably coincedence

Im not sure how you are going to know if that birth cert is the right one.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jul 2009 01:57

For info, the household she was with in 1911:

LOVE WILLIAM M 1889 22 Ashton under Lyne Lancashire
LOVE SARAH ALICE F 1889 22 Ashton under Lyne Lancashire
LOVE ETHEL F 1910 13 MONTHS Ashton under Lyne Lancashire

It's always worth considering that a youhg woman who was a domestic servant became pregnant by a member of the employer household. (Happened to my gr-grmother, possibly not by choice.) Doesn't look like any connection here.

Tip - it's simple if a bit time-consuming to find unrelated members of a household.

Use advanced search, search for surnames "starting with" just one letter, working your way through the the alphabet, living with your person in the person's place of residence. If your person's name isn't terribly common, it will work.

I also checked WWI military enrolments in Canada - given the 1918 date of birth, it's possible James was from elsewhere, in England with a military. No match in Canadian records:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

but he could have been from somewhere else.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jul 2009 02:02

This James Prince in 1911 answers to occupation "clerk":

PRINCE JAMES FOSTER 1889 22 Chorlton Lancashire

born Chorlton 1888 per FreeBMD. But he seems to have married Alice Francis in 1914.

Of course, a pre-existing marriage on your James's part would have barred a marriage to Eva.

Michelle

Michelle Report 5 Jul 2009 21:00

Thankyou all very much for your help. It sounds naive of me but didn't think of him coming here around the war time!!! That also could explain why my grandad was left in an orphanage. I had thought that as Eva was a servant she could have gotten pregnant by 1 of her employers and tried to search through that route but i am very inexperienced with this and got no results!!

I will investigate the James Prince found in Chorlton in 1911 aged 22.

Thankyou all once again ;-)

Michelle

Michelle Report 5 Jul 2009 21:56

Hi all,

I have followed Janey Canuck's suggestion and checked ancestry.com for immigration and emigrations and i have found a James Edmund Prince arriving in Liverpool on the UK incoming passengers lists 1878-1960. As i do not have full access to this site, please could anyone with full access check this for me? eg where he departed from and any other info listed?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Michelle

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 21:58

Here we are!

I've PMed somebody I think has access (sorry I don't), in response to your PM to me about this. Asked her to come have a look. If she's not around or can't do it, I'm sure somebody will!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 22:17

She says she's just warming up.

She always lies about what I say, but I'm nice. ;)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 5 Jul 2009 22:27

I do not lie,I just exaggerate a little sometimes,but not about Janey!

this one is an Engineer and last permenant place of residence was england,no birth date.

Name: James Edmund Prince
Port of Departure: Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Arrival Date: 24 Jul 1938
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Port Harcourt, Apapa, Lagos, Takoradi, Accra, Freetown, Bathurst and Las Palmas
Ship Name: Accra
Search Ship Database: View the 'Accra' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Elder Dempster Lines Ltd
Official Number: 149595

this one is too young, and I think may be the same man

Civil engineer and last permenant place of residence was england.

Name: Mr James Edmund Prince
Birth Date: abt 1909
Port of Departure: Valparaiso, Chile
Arrival Date: 29 Sep 1939
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Valparaiso, Tocopilla, Arica, Callao, Paita, Balboa, Cristobal, Havana, Nassau and Bermuda
Ship Name: Orbita
Search Ship Database: View the 'Orbita' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: The Pacific Steam Navigation Company
Official Number: 137467

Ruddy firefox keeps crashing on me.
Back in bit after another look.

Any idea of when he was born??

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 22:32

Father of a kid born 1918, so he probably wasn't born in 1909.

But dang, the name and occupation are really just too coincidental there!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 22:35

And going in the opposite direction, at FindMyPast,

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

we have:

PRINCE James Edmund (dob)1909 1938 Liverpool Bermuda Bermuda
PRINCE James Edmund (dob)1909 1950 Southampton Malaysia Penang

A son of our JEP maybe?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 22:36

Births Mar 1909
PRINCE James Edmund Sculcoates 9d 183

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jul 2009 22:39

PRINCE JAMES 1909 2 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)

PRINCE STANLEY 1877 34 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
PRINCE JOHN 1905 6 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
PRINCE AGNES 1875 36 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)

Father not JEP ...