Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ellen Sweetman - My Grandmother

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 02:50

I want to find an Ellen Sweetman in a Sweetman Tree.

I know she lived in Lancashire in 1944 to 1956 and lived with my grandfather who was harold osbaldeston. They weren't married.

She was known as Ellen Sweetman not Ellen Osbaldeston.
but she died with Ellen Osbaldeston and on her death index they wrote she was 47 years old. But even that is wrong she died at the age of 43.

I think she married a Sweetman because Icant find an Ellen Sweetman except for one but it doesnt match because this one was born in 1914,Lancahire, and died in 1994 in Lancashire. My grandmother died in 1956 and in Oldham.

So she was either born in 1912 or 1913 and I dont even know she was born in Lancashire but I think most likely she was.

It would be great help if anybody here have an Ellen Sweetman in their tree.

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2012 02:55

Have you searched the trees North?

Very unlikely anyone related will see this in the near future

jax

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 03:04

No I haven't yet. There so many trees.

How do you narrow searching in Trees.

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2012 03:23

So this one is not yours

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWEETMAN Ellen Smith Manchester 8d 504

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Ellen Sweetman
Birth Date: 24 Nov 1914
Date of Registration: Sep 1994
Age at Death: 79
Registration district: Chiltern and South Bucks
Inferred County: Buckinghamshire
Register number: B13A
District and Subdistrict: 3251A
Entry number: 228

Why would you think this death has anything to do with the person born 1914?

This one was born in November so she would not have been registered in September....she is someone who married a Sweetman

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2012 04:28

Is this the one you mean?

Marriages Mar 1939 (>99%)

Sweetman Ellen Rosenberg Manchester N. 8d 580

No children for this couple so had she been married before or did he die in the war? or is this him?

Deaths Sep 1943 (>99%)

ROSENBERG George 58 Manchester 8d 1

without seeing the marriage cert you do not know how old they were

This could be that Ellen...but she could also have been a wife of someone else called Rosenberg?

Name: Ellen Rosenberg
Birth Date: 6 Jul 1914
Date of Registration: Sep 1992
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Rochdale
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 39
Page: 420

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Feb 2012 04:41

To search the trees ...... got to Search Trees in the dark green band above, enter her name, and then click Search

and see is any matches come up.

THEN you have to contact the tree owner for further information.

sylvia

Penny

Penny Report 16 Feb 2012 08:32

I think you need the death cert to be sure its the right death. Why, if she was known as Sweetman, was her death registered in Osbaldeston? Who registered it? How do you know she died in Oldahm in 1956?

Did she and Mr Osbaldeston have children together? if so who where & when? What names did they use.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Feb 2012 09:33

The children were registered in both surnames of this couple ,,,,,hence they wasnt married,,,,,,,perhaps Harold was the married party and never free.?

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 22:25

I Live with my mother. So the information is solid.
Her mother died when my mother was 9 years old.

Ellen Sweetman had two children with Harold. He was already married when he met her but his wife left him.

My mother has the death certificate. But the infomation is also wrong.

I have Searched the Tree but the Ellen Sweetman that comes up with their birthdays not matching my grandmother.

I typed the Ellen sweetmanw who was born in 1914 on the home page of Find my past with her date birth and found her death record.

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2012 22:33

Ellen Sweetman death is the one I gave you who died in Buckinhamshire....so nothing to do with the Ellen Sweetman born 1914

Do you know Ellens birthday? would it have fallen in that quarter?

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 Feb 2012 22:33

" I think she married a Sweetman " .......

What maiden name does she give on your mother's birth certificate ?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Feb 2012 22:42

North-----who registered Ellen death, in 1957 ?--

how old is the death certificate for Ellen?

it maybe that 7 has been mistaken for 3 easy done in reproduced writting from ledgers,,,,,

if she should have been 43,,,,,,then the birth above for 1914 Manchester fits,,,,also she and Harold was not married,,but she was commonly known as Osbaldenston and could have used this surname as her own,possibly changed it when the children came along...hence her surname on death is -Osbaldenston.

what surname name on your mothers birth certificate Ellen ,,,,,,,formally Sweetman? then that is her maiden name not a previous married name..

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 23:10

I haven'tseen her death certifacte but mother has. I'm going to find it and read it. I suppose she wrote Sweetman.

She had a child's benefiit book and her name on it was Sweetman.

Is there a death record of Ellen Sweetman born in 1914.

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2012 23:20

Does your mother know when Ellens birthday was? eg July, Feb, Dec that way we could rule out the 1914 birth

The only Ellen Sweetman death born 1914 has been posted

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 23:50

If the death record matches the ellen sweetman who was born ing 1914.
, it means she is not my grandmother.

Before she died in august 1956, my grandmother told my mother she was 43years old.

Thats all she knows.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 16 Feb 2012 23:58

I know it is a different area but is this a possibility

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1928
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
SWEETMAN Charles E JENNINGS Ellen Edge Hill, St. Catherine Liverpool 2061WD/6/204

and one of these?

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1912
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
JENNINGS Ellen West Derby Western Liverpool WDW/72/2

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1913
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
JENNINGS Ellen Bacup Preston CARTER BAC/19/71

JENNINGS Ellen West Derby Western Liverpool WDW/80/65

are you able to give the name of one of the children registered as Osbaldeston & Sweetman?

NORTH

NORTH Report 16 Feb 2012 23:58

I have looked at three ellen sweetman marriages.

my grandmother had my mother in 1947 and another child in 1945.

I dont think she matches the ellen sweetman who married in 1943.

Would anybody lie about their madin name?

jax

jax Report 17 Feb 2012 00:00

I said last night the death in 1994 of Ellen Sweetman born 1914 did not match the birth of Ellen Sweetman born 1914

Please look at the dates she was born November and the birth was reg Jul-aug-sept

Even if you purchase this birth cert? if you know nothing about her how are you going to say if it is the right one or not?

jax

jax Report 17 Feb 2012 00:03

I told my children I was 21 until I had a 40th birthday party then they twigged I was'nt telling the truth :-D

Maybe she was really 47 or maybe whoever registered the death thought she was?

NORTH

NORTH Report 17 Feb 2012 00:05

If she married a sweetman, then I can find an ellen married a sweetman. I have found ellen jennings marring a charles sweetman. I also looked at her ellen jennings born in 1912 to 1913 in Derby.

I want find if this ellen jenning matches one of three ellen jennings who was born in 1912 or 1913 in west derby.