Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Domestic servant in Denbigh

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 12:54

Hello. I am looking for more information about Catherine Hughes who was a 20 year old domestic servant living with the Roberts family on Vale Street, Denbigh in 1871. I want to find out more about her real family, also what happened to her as she wasn't living with the Robertses in the 1881 census. Thank you.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 12:56

Hello Delyth, welcome to the boards.

How did you connect to Catherine - is she a relative?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jun 2013 12:57

For reference:

1871 Wales Census
Name: Catharine Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Servant
Where born: Llanrhaiadr, Denbighshire, Wales
Civil Parish: Denbigh
Ecclesiastical parish: Denbigh
Town: Denbigh
County/Island: Denbighshire
Registration District: St Asaph
Sub-registration District: Denbigh

Owen Roberts 42
Hannah Roberts 29
Elizabeth Roberts 6
Catharine Hughes 20

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 12:58

1871 for our reference:

ROBERTS, Owen Head M 42 1829 Caernarvonshire - Pork Butcher
ROBERTS, Hannah Wife F 29 1842 Denbighshire
ROBERTS, Elizabeth Daughter F 6 1865 Denbighshire
HUGHES, Catharine Servant F 20 1851 Denbighshire born Denbigh

Piece: 5672 Folio: 9 Page: 10
Registration District: St Asaph
Civil Parish: Denbigh
Municipal Borough: Denbigh

Address: Vale Street, Denbigh County: Denbighshire

I reckon by 1881 she may well be married.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jun 2013 13:03

1861 are you certain of her year of birth

Name: Catherine Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1847
Relation: Servant

Civil Parish or Township: Llanynys

Street Address: View Image
Condition as to marriage: View Image
Education: View Image
Employment status: View Image

Registration District: Ruthin
Sub-registration District: Llanrhaiadr
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household Schedule Number: 53
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 4293
Folio: 77
Page Number: 10
Household Members: Name Age
Morris Jones 66
Ann Jones 51
William Davies 13
Catherine Hughes 14

Class: RG9; Piece: 4293; Folio: 77; Page: 10; GSU roll: 543263.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jun 2013 13:03

Just want to say - not sure where ' Llanrhaiadr' (help) comes from as it says Denbigh on image!
Jan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jun 2013 13:06

Problem as a couple of possibles on 1851

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 13:54

pm from Delyth:

"Thank you SO much for replying so quickly. The connection is that there was a son born (apparently) to the Roberts family in 1878 called William Hughes Roberts. None of the other children bear the name Hughes (he was one of five). I think it is too much of a coincidence that Catherine was called Hughes and think she was in fact William's mother. It looks like the Roberts family then brought William up but I would love to find out more about Catherine. William was my grandfather. "

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 14:02

Thank you folks for being so generous with your time and expertise.
:-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 14:10

Further pm:

"Thanks for your help with this. You could be right re being married in 1881. There is another twist to this though ... in 1878 a little boy was born and was then brought up in the Roberts household .. always assumed to be owen and Hannah's child. However, he was the only one of five children to have the name Hughes Roberts (he was William Hughes Roberts) and that has always seemed odd. I'm wondering if
Catherine, as a domestic servant, was too poor (or even died in childbirth) to bring him up and the family brought him up as their own. William would have been my grandfather and we know little about him as he died when my father was three. I would love to know if my real great grandmother was Catherine now Hannah. "

Delyth, I know logic would dictate that when I've asked a question and you've answered it that it would seem to be the right thing to do to click on "mark this as answered". However, logic does not apply to some of the functionality of these boards so when you click on that it actually marks the whole thread as answered so people think you don't need any further assistance. To remove the tick just go to your very first post and there should be a button that says something like "mark this as unanswered". This anomaly has been reported to Genes but to no avail.

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 18:55

Hello folks

I have poked just about every button I can find and I can't seem to undo the 'mark as answered' thing. I have followed the guidance you gave me and opened up my original post, pressing everything I could find but the thread still remains the same. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Sorry to be a complete novice on this.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 19:48

Delyth, if you go to your post timed 12:54 it should be along that line at the top of the thread.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 20:25

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1326453

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 20:41

Hi MarieCeleste
That box has disappeared on this thread (it's still there on my other thread that I haven't clicked).
I'm thinking (if there is a way of doing it) that maybe I should delete both threads and start a new one with a long first post summarising all the help I have had so far etc. Would that be a good idea?

jax

jax Report 16 Jun 2013 21:43

Delyth

Leave it as it is...not a good idea to start another thread

I just marked one of my threads as answered and like you can not undo it....maybe another silly idea from GR

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 22:22

Thanks Jax ... glad to hear it's not just me.

Delyth

Delyth Report 16 Jun 2013 22:24

Thanks Jax ... glad to hear it's not just me.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jun 2013 22:57

Delyth, can I just ask you something? Is there a reason other than middle name Roberts that leads you to believe William was not the son of Owen and Hannah?

Might this be his birth record?

Births Jun 1878 (>99%)
Roberts William Hughes St. Asaph 11b 391

I'm wondering if this might be the Roberts' marriage:

Marriages Dec 1868 (>99%)
Hughes Hannah St Asaph 11b 585
Jones Emma St Asaph 11b 585
Roberts Owen St Asaph 11b 585
WILLIAMS Benjamin St. Asaph 11b 585

Jan

Delyth

Delyth Report 17 Jun 2013 07:10

Hi Jan
That's a big help ... I'll send for those certiificates straight away ....

Yes, there's another thing that makes me think all is not as it seems, which is that he is not buried with the rest of the family and I'm hoping against hope that if I find Catherine Hughes's grave one day, I will find his.

It may be a wild goose chase, as is often the case in these things I guess, but Hughes is a strange 'middle name' and he's the only one in the family with it, even amongst his other four siblings.

It's clear that the Robertses took him on as a son whether or not he was really theirs, but .... nagging doubt ....

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jun 2013 08:42

We all like a mystery don't we! I do see what you mean about the middle name, but if Hannah Hughes turns out to be his mother that would explain the middle name really. Have you traced Hannah back to see if there is a connection with Catherine? I see she was born in the same place, so I would guess this is her,

1851 Wales Census
Name: Hannah Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Robert Hughes
Mother's Name: Grace Hughes
Civil Parish or Township: Llech
Registration District: Ruthin
Sub-registration District: Llanarmon

Robert Hughes 50
Grace Hughes 50
Hugh Hughes 12
Hannah Hughes 10

Do you know where William was buried as he isn't with his family? EDIT sorry, I see you don't. But I would assume you have pinned down his death as you know when it took place.

Let us know what the cert reveals!

Jan :-D