Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 17:53

Hello
I'm new to this and I think I've found my great grandmother in a workhouse 1901 because it states she has a 2day old baby with her and they're both listed as inmates.
does anyone know how I can I find out which workhouse it was and more details of when she went in and left etc?

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 17:59

If you're looking at the image of the census you might have to work back a few pages to see which workhouse it is, if you're looking at the transcript it usually says.

She may only have been in there to have the baby, have you found her on the next census?

You might also look at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/ when you know which workhouse it is.

Welcome to the boards, If you would like to give the names someone will take a look :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2015 18:00

Welcome to the Boards Donna

The name of the workhouse is probably on the image or its transcription.
Depending where it is, you may have to trackdown the admission/discharge books if they survive
The following link will tell you the history of the workhouse and were surviving records are kept
http://workhouses.org.uk/

Your grt grandmother may have been in the Infirmary to have her baby, rather than as a destitute person.

If you would like to give us the details you have of the 1901 census, we can have a look

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 19:12

Thanks for all the responses.
I've started this process numerous times over about 5 years and always give up at this point because I get nowhere.
My grandmother was born 1st Jan 1900. Her name was Bridget Carney. Her mother Margaret Carney nee Driscoll born about 1876 died about 1907. Her husband James Carney was a sailor and one of his shipmates (O'Malley) took my grandmother Bridget and her younger brother Thomas in and looked after them. I've found them in 1911 census still living with the O'Malley family and were treated well and my Mum remembers "Aunt Mary" as like a mother to my grandmother.
I thought it would be easy to find my grandmother in 1901 as a baby as she has such a unique birthdate but I can't find her anywhere.
I found a Margaret Carney, possibly my great grandmother in a workhouse in 1901 with a 2day old baby, John Edward. I remember my Mum saying my gran had a brother Uncle Johnny who died in the war on armistice day, which would tie in.
I'm wondering if Margaret gave my gran to someone to mind while she went into the workhouse to have the baby because her husband was away at sea and they never gave her name for the census or am I being too fanciful and dramatic?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Sep 2015 19:20

for searching we also need a place :-)

and a place of birth

is this Bridget?

Births Mar 1900
Carney Bridget Ann Liverpool 8b 31

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Sep 2015 19:23

how about in 1901

Name: Bridget Craney
Estimated birth year: abt 1900
> Relation to Head: Granddaughter
Father: Edward Craney
Mother: Eliza Craney
Birth Place: Liverpool, England
Civil Parish: Liverpool
Registration district: Liverpool

no ... her parents are wrong ...

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 19:41

Bridget was born Lancashire, sometimes shows as Liverpool and mostly West Derby.
I've sent away for her birth certificate and Margaret and James marriage certificate but it was years ago (another time I gave up). Margaret actually signs her name with X. I'll dig them out.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 19:56

Just for my ref point

Name: Bridget Ann Carney
Age in 1911: 12
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Relation to Head: Boarder
Birth Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Bootle cum Linacre
Search Photos: Search for 'Bootle cum Linacre' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address: 32 Chaucer Street Bootle
Registration district: West Derby
Registration District Number: 455
Sub-registration district: Bootle
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Piece: 22419
Household Members:
Name Age
Edward O Malley 35
Mary O Malley 32
Ellen Mason 20
John Monks 8
Bridget Ann Carney 12 <<<<<
Thomas Carney 5

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 19:58

Name: Bridget Ann Carney
Registration Year: 1900
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 31

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 19:59

Name: Thomas Carney
Birth Date: 4 Dec 1905
Baptism Date: 15 Dec 1905
Parish: St Sylvester (Sylvestri), Lancashire, England
Father's name: Jacobi Carney
Mother's name: Margarita Driscoll

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 20:02

Rambling Rose, I know where Bridget was 1911, it's 1901 that I can't find her. But thanks for looking and trying to help

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Sep 2015 20:05

Donna, you know but we don't

we need to know everything you know if we're to help

the details shown in one census are important to know what to look for in another census

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 20:07

I know Donna, but as Joonie says it's the easiest way for us to work back :-)

This is the 1901 you mention, with John Edward

Name: Margaret Carney
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Liverpool
Search Photos: Search for 'Liverpool' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Ecclesiastical parish: Liverpool St Columba
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Sub-registration district: Mount Pleasant
ED, institution, or vessel: Liverpool Workhouse
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 3420
Folio: 76
Page Number: 21
Household schedule number: 11901

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Sep 2015 20:11

where's John Edward there Rambling Rose?

I can't play until I restart my firefox because Ancestry is going to crash it ...

there's no John Edward Carney birth at the right time and place

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 20:15

Rambling Rose, that's the record that I found and JoonieCloonie, John Edward is down as another inmate directly below Margaret.
That document is what I always get stuck on and that's what I need more info about.
Can I get more details like they do on Who Do You Think You Are or do you have to visit city libraries or something like that to look up actual registers?

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 20:18

It also says "S" for single in that entry for Margaret so I'm thinking that she had to say that so she could go into the workhouse to give birth because I do have hers and James marriage certificate.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 20:21

Joonie John Edward Carney is with 'a' Margaret as per the 1911 , but if Margaret was 21 on that there is no matching death between 1901 and 1911 for Margaret? at least not in Liverpool

Nor can I see a death in 1918 for John Edward

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 20:22

Donna, when did Margaret and James marry please

edit to answer myself,

is it this one

Marriages Sep 1895 (>99%)

Carney James Liverpool 8b 340 Scan available - click to view
Driscoll Margaret Liverpool 8b 340

because if it is then a little unlikely that the Margaret who was 21 in 1901 is the same woman unless there is a mistake on her age or she married very young?

Donna

Donna Report 9 Sep 2015 20:27

Rose and Joonie, can we continue this tomorrow? I will dig out the certificates that I have and get back to you. I can give you their marriage date and I also have Bridget's birth certificate. I really appreciate you trying to help
Donna

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Sep 2015 20:36

Of course Donna :-)