General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR? Sort it!

Page 0 + 1 of 12

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 19 Aug 2013 20:11

For some time now there have been problems with the GR website - across the board in my experience. Those problems have been highlighted by a great many members.

To compound it, the decision to "improve" the site today by adding new chat boards would appear to have merely exacerbated those problems - problems which many members have been trying to highlight and draw attention to for some considerable time.
In general terms I think the new boards serve a useful purpose and should prove popular - if only people could actually access the site and those boards in a trouble-free manner!

Very often, members have received answers to their queries regarding the problems which tried to put the onus back on them - they are using the wrong browser, they should do this, they should do that.

This is not good enough!

If GR will not work with certain browsers or certain operating systems or certain setups then this should be highlighted before people part with their cash.

I have never encountered a website like it!

Nor, I might add, have I ever been involved in the design of a website which presents so many problems - at least after proper testing and being released generally.

Whatever I do, be it posting, looking at a thread etc etc takes me bloomin' ages and several attempts.

Think about this. If you use a dongle to connect to the internet, for example, then you will be on a limited data cap. Because it is taking several attempts to do anything on the site and you have to continually reload the page and you get booted off and have to relog in then it is costing you money because it is using up your data - I am furious!

Will GR offer current members any sort of genuine guarantee that matters will be resolved ASAP?
Will GR offer current members some sort of recompense because (a) they are not receiving the service they believe they have subscribed to and (b) it is potentially costing them money in terms of excessive data usage?

Any other thoughts?

jax

jax Report 19 Aug 2013 20:20

I am getting fed up with the slowness tonight in trying to open a thread, post on one or edit

I am sure GR will say there hasn't been any problems

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Aug 2013 20:31

Have to agree Errol.

I don't normally have many problems with this site but tonight it is very bad.

Sort it GR...........QUICK.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Aug 2013 20:32

Is the slowness GR's fault? Here's me thinking the local teenagers were grabbing the band width for on-line gaming :-0

Renes

Renes Report 19 Aug 2013 20:32

It is across the site .....it even happens on PMs ... and fed up with contacting GR ...

Woud it have been better to have the boards we have working smoothly - before adding more ....

:-D to Jax

Renes

Renes Report 19 Aug 2013 20:33

It is across the site .....it even happens on PMs ... and fed up with contacting GR ...

Woud it have been better to have the boards we have working smoothly - before adding more ....

:-D to Jax

Renes

Renes Report 19 Aug 2013 20:34

And the blooming ......duplicate posting .....is never ending ...........

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Aug 2013 20:51

High Five eRRol :-D :-D

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 19 Aug 2013 20:52

Dear All

Hello

Now I am a patient person but.......what is wrong with GR today?

I try and post on a board thread and it says error message.
I have only been able to open one message and it took me
a long time to log in. Again it states error message.

The layout of the boards seems strange and I can't seem to find my threads.

Ah well.

Take gentle care all
Best wishes
Elizabeth
xx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 19 Aug 2013 20:52

Dear All

Hello

Now I am a patient person but.......what is wrong with Gr today.

I try and post and it says error message, I have only been able to open one
message and it took me a long time to log in. Again it states error message.

The layout of the boards seems strange and I can't seem to find my threads.

Ah well.

Take gentle care all
Best wishes
Elizabeth
xx

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2013 20:56

I have had to login twice today because of the new wording at top of screen about accepting the use of cookies

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 19 Aug 2013 20:57

this always happens when they update things,
a little patince and im sure in a few days it will resume normal service,

;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Aug 2013 21:01

I have really only had a problem today and I put that down to 'somebody' sorting out the new boards.

The new boards are a great idea but wht does it have to cause problems on the rest of the site?

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Aug 2013 21:02

And what's normal Stray ?.............. :-S

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 19 Aug 2013 21:10

haha true on here im not too sure,

but i rarely have problems, when i do i just go do other things, its not the end of the world ;-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 19 Aug 2013 21:18

Buying a toaster and finding that it does not work properly is not the end of the world either - but I would expect something to work correctly if I had spent my money on it

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 19 Aug 2013 21:22

no its not, because you can always take it back and get a refund,
if i had major problems that effected me so badly, then i wouldnt pay my subs,

as it is i rarely have problems, but when i do its always when there changng or upgrading the site, for the better of the people who use it, so therefore i busy myself elsewere, till the issues are resolved,

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 19 Aug 2013 21:30

Other sites usually have some downtime whilst they upgrade or perform maintenance tasks - with a landing page explaining what is going on and an apology for any inconvenience.

Not paying your subs is a bit after the fact. People have paid for a service up front and they are not all currently receiving what they have paid for.

If you buy something, you expect it to work. Simple.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 19 Aug 2013 21:38

true but if it doesnt work why continue with the serves n moan about it?

GR will be doing what they can to resolve the issues, if you have problems then email them im sure they will be more than happy to help

patience my dear

:-D

Sally

Sally Report 19 Aug 2013 21:45

I agree it is so s l o w
takes ages to access anything

sally w <3