General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Depression / Anxiety

Page 6 + 1 of 479

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 27 Jan 2008 11:16

n

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 11:17

n

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Jan 2008 12:48

hi everyone so glad this topic started i have for the last 8 years been full time carer for my partner who has suffered severe depression (bought on after a member of his family was imprissoned the shock of there hidden life was the cause)and had a full breakdown lasting over 2 years he is better than he has been but we have been told he will prob never hold a full time job and will be on medication for life he is on Effexor [Venlafaxine] and olanzapine as his carer he follows me everywhere and i never leave the house without him. im more a carer than a partner but its worth every min as when the good days come its wonderful for me depression is something i suffer all the time i take no medication as its my situation that causes it and theres not much we can do about it i comfort eat instead so know how you all feel so good that this list makes us see we are not alone thanks to you all for making my day.

RStar

RStar Report 27 Jan 2008 12:59

Alison, thats exactly how I feel, its amazing to know theres someone else feeling like that. As you say, its the washing machine that does the washing - but the job of getting the laundry out of the kids rooms, coming downstairs, emptying the laundry basket, shoving it in the washer, putting the tablets in, turning the dial....it sounds mad, but sometimes its like a mountain to climb. Worse still if you go to load the washer and theres wet washing in there that needs to be dried - even tho I have a tumble dryer! To other people it must sound like laziness, but thats something else.

Carole

Carole Report 27 Jan 2008 13:38

Romany I'll come help you sort your washing out if then we come here to do mine !!! lol You want to see my utility room if you can climb over the washing to get in there!! It's getting like "what do you want to wear tomorrow I'll iron it if I can find it".

Jude(sarf wales) 7602736

Jude(sarf wales) 7602736 Report 27 Jan 2008 13:49

Hello everyone - this thread is so good, such lovely people on here that have suffered so much.

with this sort of illness you have to remeber this:

1) you are not alone.

2) take one step at a time and by telling us all, that is the first step nearer to helping yourself more.

3) try and find something for you, not something that is too involved or is too difficult, nor with too much expectations from you.

4) don't be afraid to tell the doc if your symtoms change, no matter how silly they may seem

5) except that this is an illness.

6) if you have family who think different, show them evidence, take them with you to the docs.
l had a close friend who really thought my depression was something you could brush under the carpet and that l was being a wimp - years later she suffered with it and actually apologised. She was diagnosed with cancer of the breast and had part of one breast removed.

7) get out as much as possible, even if its only for a 10 min walk around the garden.

If you want to add to this please do.

jude sarf wales :o) xx

RStar

RStar Report 27 Jan 2008 14:14

Carole, lol! :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Jan 2008 14:39

Keep saying to yourselves AN INCH IS A CINCH, A YARD IS HARD and do that inch of a task first, then the next one, and before you know it you will have done the whole yard!
Didn't mean to shout but wanted it to stand out. I try really hard to use the above 'rule' and sometimes manage to and it helps. Breakdown any difficult task into little bits and concentrate on one bit, not the whole picture and sometimes it works.
Good luck, gotta go o.h. is complaining cos I am on here lol Well I have only just got up!

Lizx

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 27 Jan 2008 14:52

I am on 10mg of Citalopram and have been since just before xmas.

Doc wanted me to take something some years ago but I turned him down. This time I decided I needed help.

Thank you for this thread

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 15:54

n

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 17:29

n

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 27 Jan 2008 17:30

This is a BRILLIANT thread. I read it every day, so much compassion and help, whatever has caused our depression, we can all help each other.

Caz xxxx

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 27 Jan 2008 17:38

n

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Jan 2008 18:00

Depression unlike some ilnesses you cant see unlike a broken leg or bad back etc. we learn to struggle on and hide it i do sometimes wonder when struggling around a supermarket with hubby trudging behind just how many others feel the same going through the motions finding buying bread and milk more of a chore than some find xmas shopping. one thing being on here has helped with is the fact that next time im in the queue i will no im prob not alone in wishing the checkout would move faster b4 i can cope with the panics no longer and im not the only one desperatly seeking the solice of the car then home..

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 27 Jan 2008 18:14

hi patricia i agree,
i find myself drifting off into space standing in a supermarket or any other queue for that matter.i make it a mission to get around the aisles as fast as i can -inevitably forgetting lots of things by the time i get home and then worrying about it (as if it really matters anyway)but at the time it always does and god help me if i see someone i know i have got hiding down to a fine art!!i must admit going to work is the biggie for me i really do need a rocket up my bum to get me out of the door but i know i would be worse if i stayed at home which has happened over the years when i have either left a job or been off for months at a time,i force myself to do things but depression really does take alot out of you.xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 19:35

n

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Jan 2008 19:43

must be hard for those of you who work i cant even imagine holding down a job.
being a full time carer i get to avoid trips most days and struggle on a good day to get as much done as i can. but putting off the tasks does feel like im giving in to the problem stupid thing is when im in the car i love it im relaxed and glad to get out its just going out in itself and the task in hand once i get there the car is almost a safe haven like home

Carole

Carole Report 27 Jan 2008 21:17

I'd like to say thank you to Ann of Green Gables for all her post's which make so much sense.

Thanks Ann xxx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 21:21

well that really is so very kind of you Carole - I just like to try and help - ain't an expert by any means - just old so got a bit of experience of life!!

Ann XXXX

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2008 21:30

Hi Dave - well it was Carole who thought to start the thread after people came on the Greek Tragedy - Mental Illness one I started. I think this is a very valuable thread and has encouraged some "timid" people to speak out and hopefully have been encouraged to seek help

Ann XXX