Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nora Isabella Morrison

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 26 Jan 2014 09:46

Do not think I will ever find my birth mother.Having searched for years I have just been told that she married a G.I.and moved to Oklahoma but I do not know what name she travelled under.Her date of birth was 11/9/1927 in Chorlton and her first husband was Frederick Finney.I know about her ancesters but have now hit a brick wall.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 10:18

If she married in England/Wales, the record will be on freebmd

Did Frederick die?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 10:20

As the first marriage wasn't until AFTER the end of WW2, one would have to question the validity of the info about her marrying a GI.

..and you weren't born until 1950......................

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 10:27

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1324002
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1324315
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1325130
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1326401

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2014 10:33

???

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Nora I Morrison
Name: Nora I Morrison
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1951
Birth Date: abt 1927
Ethnicity/ Nationality: British (English)
Place of Origin: Britain
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Parthia
Search Ship Database: Search the Parthia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Contact in the US –
S/Sgt MacIntyre,
Travis Air force base, California

Unless this is the wrong person, she didn't marry Finney and the marriage to MacIntyre didn't last long

California, Marriage Index, 1949-1959 about Nora I Morrison
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1928
Marriage Date: 7 Jan 1952
Marriage Place: Solano, California, USA
Spouse: Erdyx F McIntyre
Spouse Age: 31

California, Marriage Index, 1949-1959 about Nora I Morrison
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1927
Marriage Date: 5 Nov 1959
Marriage Place: San Diego, California, USA
Spouse: A C Phelps
Spouse Age: 29

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2014 10:37

In view of the previous threads - the details on the above post are probably irrelevant. As she was definitely a Finney, she is likely to have travelled under that name, not her maiden one.

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jan 2014 10:39

That is the same as I was coming up with - and there is only one Nora I Morrison's born England/Wales in 1926-28

ADDED - maybe got a passport using her maiden name/original birth certificate - not sure it would be checked out to see if she was married

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 10:44

I would have thought that, in the probable circumstances - i.e. abandoning a husband and child - it would have been entirely feasible that she would travel under her maiden name.

Looks like a good find by D E T

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jan 2014 10:47

The outbound passenger lists her as isobel Morrison, English, snack bar assistant, address 2 Old Road Causeway Warrington

Louise

Louise Report 26 Jan 2014 10:54

Thank you very much for all your help,you have given ma a lot to think about.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2014 10:54

True - not sure if it's possible to access UK passport applications, certainly not this recent. Would the poster consider purchasing a copy of one of the CA marriage licences? I think that the contracted out source is VitalCheck.

Alternatively, explore this link (link broken so that it doesn't stretch the page)

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/
ObtainingVitalRecordsFromCountyOffices.aspx

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jan 2014 10:57

Death of first husband - although she is not mentioned on the headstone:

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/7239738/person/6032675793/photox/d376ad22-8e4c-4d76-84b4-92feda2e167e?src=search

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2014 11:01

It's irritating me that I can't find any further records for a Nora with the birth date quoted. :-|

If Mr Phelps (if the marriage is correct) was also a AAF serviceman he could have been posted overseas and she went with him?

There is still an AAF presence in the UK. One of our offspring had been asked to witness a passport application for a child. The Father is based in Lakenheath, the mother is South African they were married and child(ren) born in Suffolk! Their descendants are going to have a fine time sorting that one out

:-D

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jan 2014 11:03

I'm going to PM the application for burial monument - it is signed by Nora Isabella McIntyre, address Charlotte St, Pottstown PA in 1957

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2014 11:04

The link to the MacIntyre headstone explains why she could have remarried. He died in 1957. It looks like a military style headstone

Where did you find that (added Burial Certificate) Flip?

From Findagrave
Birth: Apr. 8, 1920
Long Lake
Hamilton County
New York, USA
Death: Jun. 4, 1957
Saratoga Springs
Saratoga County
New York, USA

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11248244

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 11:05

True, the USAF etc do still have a presence in the UK - it was the use of the term GI which I wondered about. It rather fell out of use after WW2 ended

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jan 2014 11:09

So.............was Finney still alive when she left the country?

Louise

Louise Report 26 Jan 2014 11:15

Nora Isabella Morrison married Frederick Finney in 1946.They had a son Brian in 1947.She left them not long after and I was born in 1950 in Warrington (father not know)Her mother and grandmother often used different surnames when remarrying so Nora could have also.I made contact with her nephew recently and it was him who told me she lived in Oklahoma but he will not tell me anything else.

Louise

Louise Report 26 Jan 2014 11:17

Yes Frederick Finney was still alive and went on to remarry.

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jan 2014 11:19

The marriage to AC Phelps is recorded twice - so it's her

recorded as Nora I Morrison and Nora I Mcintyre

but I'm not finding them subsequent to this, it would be better if we had his full name, so maybe this marriage cert is a must