Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- I am receiving the following error message - HTTP Error 503 - Service Unavailable...
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- I DON'T WANT TO RENEW my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- I want to change my subscription
- I'd like to pay by cheque
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- Why am I returned to the root person when I search for a name in my tree?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- How do I view other trees?
- How can I view the records I've attached to my relations?
- What is the List view?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Searching all records - NEW!
- Where are the Parish records? NEW!
- Scottish Census records
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- How much do records cost?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
The clipboard allows you to copy names from a tree you have access to and add them to your own.
When you're viewing a tree you have access, find the relation you want to copy. Click on the 'Copy' button and it will be added to your clipboard.
You need to create a relation in your tree first before you can add the details from the clipboard. Once you've created the relation, click on the clipboard icon in the top right hand corner of your tree page and click on the name of the person whose details you'd like to copy. You can then use some or all of the details from the clipboard for the new relation. You need to save any changes you make.
Please remember you must have permission when adding the names of living relations to your tree. Also, if copying names from someone else's tree we do suggest that out of politeness you ask that member's permission to do so first. At the moment it is only possible to copy a maximum of 20 names at a time.
When you view the transcription of a birth or a relative in the census you’ll see the option to add it to your clipboard. You can add the names to the clipboard and then you can go to your tree and paste the details to it. We don’t take all of the details, but you could simply copy and paste them and then add them to your tree in the Notes section for your relative. For example, you might like to add where they were living in each census and their occupation at the time.
If you want to empty the clipboard at any time, click on the 'Empty Clipboard' tab below the names on the clipboard.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?