Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
Searching the census - UPDATED
We have put together a very useful guide on how to search for your relations in our census records. It can be found here. It's a really good place to start and will give you some useful hints on using and searching the census.
We've improved the search format to make it easier for you to find your relations in the Census Records.
As well as using the full forename and surname when searching for a relation in these records, you now also have the option of either using a partial name, similar name or even just a letter in both the forename and surname fields. This is really useful when you're not sure of the spelling of someone's name, or if you're having difficulty finding the record you're looking for.
For example, if you're searching for a record for a relation whose forename could have possibly been Lily, Lilly or Lillian and the surname was either Stevens or Stephens, you could enter the forename as Lil and the surname as Ste and click on the 'Exact match' link on both name fields and choose the 'Starts With' option. This will return results for any names that match those partial names.
You can use the 'Place Keyword' filter to search for names in specific places, and there's a new 'Other forenames in household' filter you can use to narrow down your results if you know the forenames of any of the other household members. You can add up to 5 words in these fields and you don't need a comma to separate them. For example, you could add Camden Islington London.
We've also made it possible now to search the Census by reference. If you know the reference details, select the census year and click on the 'Search by reference' link below the search box. You'll be able to enter the census reference and search for the record that way.
If you find a name you're looking for on another site but not ours, then it is possible that the name has been mis-transcribed from our census data. If this is the case and you have details of the mistranscription then please send us the full details. We can have this corrected.
Unfortunately, you may occasionally be shown the wrong census image. If this happens please send us the full name, year and place of birth of the relation you are looking for. Our support team will be happy to try and locate the correct image and email it to you where possible. We do our best but we can't guarantee that we will find the correct page.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.