Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How Do I Delete My Tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- What subscriptions do you offer?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How Can I Take Out A Free Trial?
- I DON'T WANT TO RENEW my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- Will I Be Charged Anything For The Free Trial?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I want to change my subscription
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- What is Gifting?
- How do I redeem a gift voucher?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I view other trees?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- Exporting Gedcoms
- Importing Gedcoms
- What are Relative Profiles?
- What is the upload limit for adding to keepsafe?
- Why do I see an error when trying to view my tree?
- What is the List view?
- How do I upload a photo to my tree?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Which Census records do you have?
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- How much do records cost?
- Where are the Parish records?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Why can't I view newspaper articles?
- Will I be charged if I try to view a record again?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I want to delete my registration
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I seem to have more than one registration
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
Building your Family Tree
When you've registered, you'll be automatically taken to the Home page. Click on the 'Family Tree' option at the top of the page.
We've put together some useful information to help you start researching your family tree.
Your tree will begin with your own name. From there, the best way to build your tree is to start working backwards.
· Add the names of relatives by clicking on the 'Add' button found below a name in your tree.
· You’ll see options to select Add Child, Add Partner, Add Mother/Father or Add Sibling.
· Once you’ve added the details to your tree click on 'Save'.
· Follow this link to read more about how to build your tree.
If you’re adding children to your tree, you must add at least one parent.
· In the case of illegitimacy or if you prefer not to display the parent's identity, we suggest you add the parent as Unknown Unknown or something similar.
· It’s not mandatory to add a year of birth, but you can estimate this and then tick the box to show it’s not accurate.
You can add more than one partner to a family member, and you can attach different children to those specific partners.
· When viewing the Family Tree page, select the name you want to add partners to.
· Select 'Add Partner' and fill in the boxes with the details that you already know.
· Once you’ve added the details, save the changes.
More than one partner / change parents?
If someone in your tree has more than one partner, and you’ve added a child to the wrong parent, here’s how to correct this:
· When viewing the child's details in your tree, click on the 'Edit' button.
· Scroll down to the Relationships section on the Details box that will open on the right hand side of the tree page.
· Click on the 'Change' tab beside the incorrect parent's name.
· Start typing the correct parent's name and click on it when you see it appear. Then save the changes you've made.
When viewing your full tree, you may sometimes see a relation duplicated if they've had more than one partner.
· We do this so that you can easily see their different relationships.
· They'll only be shown once in the immediate view of your tree though, but you’ll see them attached to each partner.
Made a mistake?
If you’ve made a mistake, simply click on 'Delete', which you'll see just below the relation's details.
· You can only delete a name from your tree if it’s at the top or the bottom, or has no other branches attached to it. For example, you can remove or delete the child of a relation.
· You’ll see a message saying you can’t delete a relation if other names are attached to that person. You’ll need to look at your tree and either remove names from the bottom upwards or from the top down.
If you’ve added someone to the wrong parents and the correct ones are listed elsewhere in your tree, here’s how to amend this:
· Locate the relation in your tree and click on the 'Edit' tab in their name box. This will open their details page on the right hand side of the tree.
· Scroll down to the Relationships section and click on the 'Change' tab beside the incorrect mother/father.
· Start typing the right parent's name, then click on the correct name when it appears and save the changes.
· Repeat the process for the other parent, again saving the changes.
Want to correct something?
Click on 'Edit' below the name of the relation in your tree. You can then amend the mistake and save the changes.
· You can also click on the tab with two arrows on the top right hand side of the tree page.
· This will open the ‘Edit Details’ panel, where you'll see more fields where you can add or edit information.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?