Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How Do I Delete My Tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- What subscriptions do you offer?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How Can I Take Out A Free Trial?
- I don't want to renew my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- Will I Be Charged Anything For The Free Trial?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I want to change my subscription
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- What is Gifting?
- How do I redeem a gift voucher?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I view other trees?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- Exporting Gedcoms
- Importing Gedcoms
- What are Relative Profiles?
- What is the upload limit for adding to keepsafe?
- Why do I see an error when trying to view my tree?
- What is the List view?
- How do I upload a photo to my tree?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Which Census records do you have?
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- How much do records cost?
- Where are the Parish records?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Why can't I view newspaper articles?
- Will I be charged if I try to view a record again?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I want to delete my registration
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I seem to have more than one registration
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
When a contact has given you permission to view their tree, you can view it by clicking on 'Messages' at the top of each page and then on 'My Contacts' from the dropdown list.
- If you can see a tick and the word 'View' next to a contact's name then you'll be able to see their tree. If you see a cross and the word 'request' then you haven't been given access to it yet.
- If a member has said you can see their tree but you still can't see it, this is usually just because they’ve forgotten to approve your request. Just click on 'Request' to send an email to the other member asking to see it.
- Click on 'View' in the My Contacts page to see the other tree.
You can also view another member's tree from your own Family Tree page.
- At the top of your tree page you'll see the name of the tree you're viewing followed by the number of relations in that tree, and a 'View Other Trees' tab to the right of that. Click on 'View Other Trees' and then on 'Trees shared with me' and you'll see a list of all the trees you have permission to view.
- Click on the tree you want to view and the page will refresh, showing you that tree.
Don’t forget, you need to have a paid subscription to view another member's tree.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.