Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How Do I Delete My Tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- What subscriptions do you offer?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How Can I Take Out A Free Trial?
- I DON'T WANT TO RENEW my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- Will I Be Charged Anything For The Free Trial?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I want to change my subscription
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- What is Gifting?
- How do I redeem a gift voucher?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I view other trees?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- Exporting Gedcoms
- Importing Gedcoms
- What are Relative Profiles?
- What is the upload limit for adding to keepsafe?
- Why do I see an error when trying to view my tree?
- What is the List view?
- How do I upload a photo to my tree?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Which Census records do you have?
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- How much do records cost?
- Where are the Parish records?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Why can't I view newspaper articles?
- Will I be charged if I try to view a record again?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I want to delete my registration
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I seem to have more than one registration
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
What are Relative Profiles?
We have created a profile page for every name in your tree. You'll be able to see details you had added to that person in your tree, any photos and records you've attached to them, a timeline and a history of the surname all in one place. You'll also see the names of their immediate family. You can click on each name to view the profile of that person too.
You will find these by clicking here. You'll see a list of everyone in your tree and can use the search box on the left to find someone specific and click on their name if you wish to view their profile.
There is a link to go to the last profile you looked at from the Relatives tab at the very top of the page, so you can take up your research again where you left off.
We also have placed the following tabs on your relative's profile page:
Keepsafe - this is where you'll see any photos or records you have attached against that person.
Family Tree - You can see your relatives immediate family tree. Here you can add more names, delete any wrong ones and edit the basic details too.
All Relatives - This will take you back to the list of everyone in your tree.
This is a great way of seeing where the gaps are in your tree. Maybe you haven't found both parents yet? Or you might need to check in your relation ever married. We'll even prompt you to look for their brith, marriage and death in our records which you can then attach to their profile.
You can also print out and edit the profiles which will allow you to show your relatives who may not have access to a computer.
To print the profile please click on the 'Print the profile' link in the top right hand corner of the page. There's even a space for your own notes, so when you are showing your profiles to your family you can write down any extra information they give you which you can then add on to your tree.
To edit the profile you will see the option to do this in the top right hand side corner of the page. A box will open up and you can edit the details and save the changes. Any changes you make will be reflected in your tree too. Please note, at the moment it is not possible to amend Baptism and Marriage details in the profile view. To edit this information you will need to visit your tree and do this from here.
The notes are at the bottom of the profile and you'll see a separate edit button for them. Again, if you update the notes, then the notes will also be updated in the tree too.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?