Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How Do I Delete My Tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- What subscriptions do you offer?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How Can I Take Out A Free Trial?
- I don't want to renew my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- Will I Be Charged Anything For The Free Trial?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I want to change my subscription
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- What is Gifting?
- How do I redeem a gift voucher?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I view other trees?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- Exporting Gedcoms
- Importing Gedcoms
- What are Relative Profiles?
- What is the upload limit for adding to keepsafe?
- Why do I see an error when trying to view my tree?
- What is the List view?
- How do I upload a photo to my tree?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Which Census records do you have?
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- How much do records cost?
- Where are the Parish records?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Why can't I view newspaper articles?
- Will I be charged if I try to view a record again?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I want to delete my registration
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I seem to have more than one registration
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
Genes Reunited allows people to search, contact and chat anonymously to other members in a safe and secure environment.
For your own safety and security, and to help you ensure you only reveal the type of information you want to when contacting other members on the site, here is some basic information that all members should familiarise themselves with. It may seem really obvious but we feel it's always worth reminding yourselves to help enjoy the site whilst discovering your family history.
• We never reveal your email address to anyone on any screen of the Genes Reunited Service. You should never reveal your email address and personal contact details to anyone through the site.
• Log off or exit from the Genes Reunited Service when you are not using it and never tell anyone your password.
• You decide which members can view your family tree by granting them access to it or not in your contact centre under My Contacts accessed from the 'Messages' tab on your homepage once you're logged in.
• You must have permission to include any living individual's details and photos in your family tree and, for your own family's privacy, you can choose whether you want details of your living relatives to be shown in your family tree when you share it with others, or whether you prefer some of their details to be hidden. You'll find this option on the My Account page which can be accessed from a link in the top right hand corner of your homepage once you're logged in.
• With regard to credit card security, we use a secure payment server through our payment providers, meaning that your full credit or debit card details are never revealed to us or shown on the site.
• You are in control of (and ultimately responsible for) what you say and do on the site. If you feel that a member is persistently harassing you please report this member to the support team who will take the necessary action.
• Act responsibly and use your common sense when talking to other members. Whilst we offer you an anonymous platform to chat to other members, you need to use your judgment and common sense when speaking to members.
• If you are going away or you might be left in your home alone, don't advertise this to other members as it could make you vulnerable to break ins.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
New Scottish Records
Do you have Scottish ancestors?
Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.